• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up for Youkai Watch 2

I didn't realize this game was so huge. I would have thought Pokemon pretty much had the market on lockdown.

It seems to be a genuinely decent game, has multimedia promotion, and released months after the last pokemon and months before the next one. With japan's current software-buying habits they have the time for both.

Forkball

Yeah I don't get why Yokai Watch hasn't hit the states. There's already a niche that will buy it simply because it was popular in Japan, not to mention the possibility that it would be huge in America like it is in Japan. Nintendo has nothing for 3DS in the future outside of a Pokemon remake, Smash, and CODENAME STEAM. I'm baffled that Nintendo didn't try to publish YW as soon as someone said, "It's like Pokemon..."

popyea

So what kind of game is this? Is it like Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Animal Crossing, or Monster Hunter? Which is it?

Pokemon.

I really like the art in this game. The creature designs are great, and a lot better than what you see in Pokemon or Ni No Kuni imo.

So what kind of game is this? Is it like Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Animal Crossing, or Monster Hunter? Which is it?

Pokemon.

You collect monsters, train them up, you even battle with teams of up to six.

The battle system is different, but basically it's a monster collecting RPG.

Nope.

From the last M-C thread:
02./07. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 28.933 / 1.176.134 (-2%)

Yokai Watch 2 will be bigger than the first.

It was only a matter of time lol

didnt the ds game sold way more than the ps3 game ?

600k JP vs 200k JP

PS3 version then sold 900k in the West. DS version was never localised.

PS3 version obviously came late. Its a weird thing to see a DS game get remade on the PS3 but L5.

catmario

According to bunch of medias, Yokai watch 2 will join the million seller clubs.

Congrats Level-5, you finally meet big success.

From little chat I had with a friend who's currently in japan(and will buy the game) it's Pokemon but Ghosts with silly powers and TWEWY style encounter(not random you have to scan the area).

mclem

I'm baffled that Nintendo didn't try to publish YW as soon as someone said, "It's like Pokemon..."

I'd be very surprised if they weren't trying - but that sort of publishing deal requires involvement from both sides. I wonder if Level 5 are asking too much, or still hedging their bets over whether they want to hold onto it to publish it themselves. This isn't quite the same sort of thing as Xenoblade, which was a game where the publishing plans were entirely within one company.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo releases their Pokemon-like games called Pokemon as well every year, which means they wont bend over to publish a 3rd party game in the west which caters to the same audience. And lets not forget Yokai Watch is that big in Japan because they have all the media outlets around the game like Anime, Comics and Toys in place....without those efforts it will be difficult to establish the IP in the west.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd be very surprised if they weren't trying - but that sort of publishing deal requires involvement from both sides. I wonder if Level 5 are asking too much, or still hedging their bets over whether they want to hold onto it to publish it themselves. This isn't quite the same sort of thing as Xenoblade, which was a game where the publishing plans were entirely within one company.

without a deal for the hiring of the anime, there is no sense in publishing the game.
I'm not saying that games must be tied to an anime, but if there IS an anime, it make sense to wait for the deal for the broadcasting, especially if the anime really was the element that transformed Yokai from a good result into a phenomena in Japan. Broadcasting deals take A LOT of time, so probably both L5 and Nintendo (or L5 and Bandai, that will distribute also the toy line) already discussed the chances of a Western distribution for the game, but they are still waiting to finalize the hiring of the cartoon

Wedge7

I always genuinely love seeing the Japanese lineup threads, and how they go crazy for certain games/franchises, only sad thing is that its not as common as it once used to be I suppose.

Had never heard of this prior, but after looking at the pics and videos posted in the thread, it looks so cute. Seems to have that certain charm and colorful style that has always appealed to me.

wmlk

The overworld is so well done and looks great, just needs some variety. That's all I can say just by looking at this game, though.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
All of the elementary school kids over here bloody love this game.

Junior high kids don't care, but it certainly has a more focused demographic than Pokemon.

squall23

All of the elementary school kids over here bloody love this game.

Junior high kids don't care, but it certainly has a more focused demographic than Pokemon.
It has no fujoshi appeal unlike Inazuma Eleven (unfortunately for IE), which isn't exactly a bad thing.

squall23

Which also has it's benefits..

please don't tell me there is Inazuma Yaoi stuff...
One of the huge reasons why IE started failing (in my eyes) was because Level 5 fully embraced the idea of catering to those people in IEGO. During the first trilogy Level 5 didn't do anything with that.

Maebe

One of the huge reasons why IE started failing (in my eyes) was because Level 5 fully embraced the idea of catering to those people in IEGO. During the first trilogy Level 5 didn't do anything with that.

How so? I didn't finish Go but it didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Fujoshi were there in large numbers since the first series too.

Letep

I like Japan's video game launches much more than ours, especially with cliche handheld titles.

Japan
WFwSorj.jpg

America
618w_cod_mw3_midnight_launch_4.jpg

This is amazing. And so true.

Anyhow, I love Japanese game launch queue photos.

And I hope Yokai watch gets localized!

Longsword

Pokemon is of course huge, Puzzle & Dragon Z sold 1,46 million on 3DS the last time I looked, and YW2 looks set to surpass even that. Good times for monster collection genre!

NeonZ

Yeah I don't get why Yokai Watch hasn't hit the states. There's already a niche that will buy it simply because it was popular in Japan, not to mention the possibility that it would be huge in America like it is in Japan.

Isn't part of the problem here that the monsters and setting are heavily based on Japanese culture and legends? It seems like something that could have problems repeating the same success internationally.

Kouriozan

Isn't part of the problem here that the monsters and setting are heavily based on Japanese culture and legends? It seems like something that could have problems repeating the same success internationally.
I heard France admire Japan and it's also true for the Japan -> France

Mael

I heard France admire Japan and it's also true for the Japan -> France

At 1rst I thought it was based on the manga with somehow the same name I think, very popular too....
Still we should get it if we get anything...
They can always translate yokai to something else and say it's not based on Japanese folklore or something...

Gabe3208

Banned
I like Japan's video game launches much more than ours, especially with cliche handheld titles.

Japan
WFwSorj.jpg

America

Lol, lol, wow, the bottom photo's caption would read:

"Look at how manly we are, only men play FPSs, only men would group together for this kind of circle-jerk photo, REAL men look and act like this."

:D

20cent

Banned

Japan
WFwSorj.jpg

America

Japanese photo shows 1 couple who just bought their games and the one below a team of military cosplayers hired by the COD marketing dept to attract 12 years old gamers. How are they even related?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm just glad Japanese kids are playing a 3DS game and not a mobile one

My thoughts exactly. And based on everything I know about Yokai, it actually sounds like a fairly decent game. Here's hoping we get an English announcement soon.

Top Bottom