• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan PSN Plus deal - Lots of free archived games

Valkyria

Banned
Thanks for the heads ups. I don't see too many games that I craved but I will try maybe Zero Divide. Any of the simple1500 is any good? I wish there were the sega ps2 simple2500 in that list.

Valkyria

Banned
I have been trying a few of them.

I discovered Gun Parade March. It looks like Sony's Sakura Taisen. I couldn't find a single walkthrough or text guide so there is no way I could play it.

Them Kings Field III and Shadow Tower, oh my God, this is Demon's Souls 20 years ago, the former should have been awesome at the time, today it's just too dated.

I played a few more, but nothing remarkable, well I discovered that Puppet Princess of Marl Kingdom is Rhapsody a musical adventure, such a lovely game, with a sequel I could never play in English.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wish the selection was better, but there are at least some decent games there. I'd recommend checking out Popolocrois as well as Langrisser 4&5.

It beats the piss poor selection the US has for their classics.

cj_iwakura

Searched, didn't find anything so apologies if old.

Not sure if many here have Japanese PSN+ but if you do, a bunch of titles are currently free. List of titles: http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/plus/123titlelineup.html

Not familiar with a lot of these, but some I know. Kings Field 1-3, Shin Megami Tensei If.., 峠MAX 2, blah blah.

If you have a JP PSN account, I believe this link (JPSN store) is a free 15 day trial for Plus.

Edit: As req.,video on how to set up JPSN account.

I'll definitely grab If and maybe Langrisser. Rhapsody's there too! (Marl Princess)

Uh, how do I redeem the free 15 days?

cj_iwakura

I have been trying a few of them.

I discovered Gun Parade March. It looks like Sony's Sakura Taisen. I couldn't find a single walkthrough or text guide so there is no way I could play it.

Them Kings Field III and Shadow Tower, oh my God, this is Demon's Souls 20 years ago, the former should have been awesome at the time, today it's just too dated.

I played a few more, but nothing remarkable, well I discovered that Puppet Princess of Marl Kingdom is Rhapsody a musical adventure, such a lovely game, with a sequel I could never play in English.

Gun Parade March was made by Alfa System, the devs of Castle Shikigami and Oreshika. I know someone who wants to translate it, just an FYI.

Valkyria

Banned
I'll definitely grab If and maybe Langrisser. Rhapsody's there too! (Marl Princess)

Uh, how do I redeem the free 15 days?

Just go to the store on your Ps3 with the Japanese account. There on the Playstation Plus submenu you can see the 15日 item. Buy it, it's the trial that activates automatically.

Zoe

Didn't some PS1 games have a glitch so you didn't lose them after your sub runs out? Wonder if that applies to any here...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I have an EU ps3 and a Japanese account. If I buy a card and download psone games, are they playable or they are region locked?

Playable. Did the same with Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Shenryu and some other games I purchased on JPN PSN to play on my EU PS3.

Jubern

Sadly, same is NOT true of EU PS1 games.

Yeah I realized that yesterday, I bought a PS1 classic from the EU store and it won't boot up. But I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with region locking, and dependent on whether your TV supports PAL50 or not.

I only tried a PAL 50 game on my JP PS3 once before and it worked, but I was in France, and it was on a HDTV that supported 576i.

Valkyria

Banned
Yeah I realized that yesterday, I bought a PS1 classic from the EU store and it won't boot up. But I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with region locking, and dependent on whether your TV supports PAL50 or not.

I only tried a PAL 50 game on my JP PS3 once before and it worked, but I was in France, and it was on a HDTV that supported 576i.

Yep, you need a tv that suppotys 575 50hz. But really, better buy the ntsc version.

cj_iwakura

Here's what I've played thus far:

SMT If
smtif-psx4.jpg

Moody music, smooth dungeon movement. It's basically a sharper SNES game. And it cuts right to it. "Oh hi [protagonist]", clouds turn black, then suddenly demons.
For the unfamiliar, the story is that demons invade a high school after some idiot student makes a pact with an entity for power, and you have to go kill them all.
The catch is that when you die, Charon brings you back with guardian spirits who give you more power. Sound familiar? It's the precursor to Persona.

Devil Children: Black/Red

dc-red3compare.png

dc-red4compare.png

Highlight of the bunch for me. This was the first DC/DemiKids title, a cutesy SMT spinoff designed to appeal to younger players and/or Pokemon fans.
Great music, fun combat, minimal(but not hand-holding) difficulty.

Thunderforce V

thunderforce5psxusa.jpg

thunderforce5-01.jpg

Probably the best game for a non-Japanese speaker. Everything's in English, and the game has intense graphics and some awesome music.

Langrisser

langdrama.jpg

I dabbled in Langrisser 1, but it's basically the Sega Genesis game with voice acting and updated Urushihara art. I always favored the original, this didn't change my mind.
langrisser-sat5.jpg

Still, if you like Fire Emblem mixed with Dragon Force(doesn't everyone?), it's a fantastic SRPG, and doesn't require much Japanese to play.

kick51

Banned
This thread got me to get jpsn card and buy a bunch of games. I didn't want to do PS+ since I don't plan on keeping subbed. I ended up with Einhander, Umihara Kawase, Gunner's Heaven, Adventures of Little Ralph, and the PS2 version of Dynamite Deka (aka Die Hard Arcade.)

None of them really require English, except the QTEs in Die Hard are in Japanese, but it's just three words to translate and remember...

I plan on getting Thunder Force, Donpachi, Dodonpachi, and Rival Schools at some point.

The easiest way to do it is through the web store, google translate works unusually well there.

Some of the game title translations are amazing

cj_iwakura

So the free games from the J-PSN's time is up, and sure enough, I get a 'copyright error' when I try to run SMT If. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

randomkid

Whoa, good looking out. Any easy way to see all the new games that have been added since last time? I've logged in to the Sony Store on the laptop and it's incredibly slow and error-ridden for some reason.

Goli

Whoa, good looking out. Any easy way to see all the new games that have been added since last time? I've logged in to the Sony Store on the laptop and it's incredibly slow and error-ridden for some reason.

They add new games each month, and on the PS3 store at least you can see which they added as well as the complete list.

cj_iwakura

SMT1 was added.

I started playing LSD.

WTF is going on.

Is Moonlight Syndrome or The Silver Case included now? Please say yes.

randomkid

I got lazy after grabbing the essentials and started downloading things based on box art. One of them was a pic of a creepy baby. I wonder what game it'll be!

cj_iwakura

DJ MAX Technika Tune is free too! You have to go through Vita Region Swap Hell, but hey, the game is damn expensive so it's worth it.

Decided to bite today. DJMAX pretty much makes up for the cost on its own and I've been meaning to play a bunch of the PSX games, so good stuff all around.

vvvv Yeah, bought JP PS+ to go along with my US PS+

Drago

Hmmm, this is tempting me to reset my Vita to my unused JP account.

Is the JP PS+ the same as it is in the rest of the world where I can purcahse the game through PS+ and I will always have access to them as long as I have PS+? Would like to purchase everything before the 15 days are up and have them again if I decide to sub to JP PS+ in the future like I could in US. There seems to be quite a few games I'd like to try here despite me knowing 0 Japanese :p

cj_iwakura

What is this Drift Master game that Atlus published?

I'm also seeing Echo Night, Legend of Dragoon, Myst, Rebus(some Atlus RPG, curious...),the Arc The Lad Trilogy, some Armored Core Arena game, I.Q. Final(!), and of course, Cho Aniki ~ ultimate invincible galaxy strongest man.

I am really sorry to the customer to have you enjoy the PlayStation ® Plus, but thank you much for your understanding.

cj_iwakura

Is it also showing Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head as being free? Handheld versions, but hey.

Okay, I'm downloading Gunner's Heaven, Remus, I.Q.Final(a sequel to Intelligent Qube, according to wiki), and that weird Atlus drifting game.

I'll share thoughts later.

Goli

Hmmm, this is tempting me to reset my Vita to my unused JP account.

Is the JP PS+ the same as it is in the rest of the world where I can purcahse the game through PS+ and I will always have access to them as long as I have PS+? Would like to purchase everything before the 15 days are up and have them again if I decide to sub to JP PS+ in the future like I could in US. There seems to be quite a few games I'd like to try here despite me knowing 0 Japanese :p
Yes, the process is the same.
Is it also showing Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head as being free? Handheld versions, but hey.

Okay, I'm downloading Gunner's Heaven, Remus, I.Q.Final(a sequel to Intelligent Qube, according to wiki), and that weird Atlus drifting game.

I'll share thoughts later.

Japan's PS+ offerings on the handheld side are amazing. I mean, Level 5 offered most of their games on it already, including White Knight Chronicles for PS3 as well, then there's Ragnarok Odyssey, or the Sora no Kiseki games. Too bad we'll never get something like that over here ):.

cj_iwakura

Yes, I.Q. Final is precisely what any Intelligent Qube fan could want: the final game. It's amazing so far. Get It Now!

Also, epic title screen.

Top Bottom