• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese artists admit that they were paid to promote Frozen 2, were told not to label their work or favorable reviews as promotions

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-accused-of-snow-job-over-frozen-2-tweet-apology-11576127949

TOKYO—Japanese artists hired to promote Walt Disney Co. ’s movie “Frozen 2” on Twitter said they were instructed to hide that they were paid for the work, contradicting Disney’s initial explanation that the omission was accidental.

“The agency that hired us for this campaign requested that we not label our work as a promotion,” said an artist who publishes under the name Kosame Daizu in a tweet.

The artist, who has more than 100,000 followers on Twitter, tweeted a cartoon last week in which he depicted some characters in “Frozen 2” and reviewed the movie favorably. He didn’t respond to requests for comment.
Other artists involved in the campaign also apologized. An artist who goes by the name Yamato Nadeshiko tweeted that an earlier tweet praising “Frozen 2” wasn’t labeled as promotional in accordance with the client’s directions.

Disney initially said it had intended to ask the artists to show that the tweets were part of an official advertising campaign, and it called the absence of disclosure a lapse.

On Wednesday, Disney issued a new statement acknowledging repeated cases in which artists were hired to promote Disney movies on social media without disclosure. Some of the artists who endorsed “Frozen 2” had earlier published cartoons on Twitter promoting Disney movies such as “Avengers: Endgame” and “Captain Marvel” without mentioning a connection to a company promotion.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Frozen 2 is a thing? I thought Disney had let it go. Heh, I hate myself.
Is there Frozen pr0n?
You aren't fooling anybody with that name and avatar.

#GiveElsaAGirlfriend
The first one had so many incest subliminal messages it made me uncomfortable enough I stopped watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This shit happens all of the time, and it isn't only Disney.
On any single day, 10% of the purchase decisions you make are yours, for the rest, you were influenced by marketing of some sort.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Wait, so a giant corporation putting on the face of being a paragon of social virtue is secretly corrupt behind the scenes?!

:messenger_open_mouth:

Top Bottom