• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese creators share their 2016 ambitions. Sakurai confirms new project.

todd360

New information on The Last Guardian will come as it approaches its release. I also plan on pushing forward with preparations for what’s next.

Yeahhhhhhh maybe just focus on actually releasing the last guardian first.

But to be fair, he seems quite attached to a number of Nintendo franchises (Kid Icarus & Fire Emblem, for example). I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai stuck around in honor of Iwata.

That being said, assuming that the project is for the NX Platform, you guys think the project is Smash 5 or another passion project like Kid Icarus Uprising?

There's always been an off-project of his between Smashes (Kirby Air Ride between Melee and Brawl, KI Uprising between Brawl and 4).

But to be fair, he seems quite attached to a number of Nintendo franchises (Kid Icarus & Fire Emblem, for example). I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai stuck around in honor of Iwata.

That being said, assuming that the project is for the NX Platform, you guys think the project is Smash 5 or another passion project like Kid Icarus Uprising?

Guy has been working on Smash 4 from 2012-2016. I'm sure he'd want a break from the franchise.

Vena

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we saw Sakurai on a console/handheld Fire Emblem-inspired game. His love for that franchise can't be ignored and I am sure he'd love to get his hands on a spin at it.

Neff

Capcom’s Masachika Kawata (Resident Evil series) said:
Since it’s the true 20th anniversary year of the Resident Evil series, various preparations are underway.

This excites me.

gogogow

Grassshopper Manufacture’s Goichi Suda

What the heck is going on with Let It Die? Don’t worry, we’re making it!
Nooooooooooooooooooo! We want Lily Bergamo!!!!!!! :(

Kindekuma

Banned
Atlus’ Katsura Hashino (Persona series)

We’ll safely release Persona 5 in 2016… I think.

0585_9wsqx.gif

Zukkoyaki

Capcom is due for some major announcements. They're home to like 1000+ developers and they all can't be working on just Street Fighter, Ace Attorney, DDO, and a spin-off RE shooter.

Mr. RPG

GungHo Online’s Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy series)

Soon, I will be able to debut our secret new title to everyone.

Mistwalker’s Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy series, Terra Battle, etc.)

In addition to Terra Battle updates, we’re moving forward on a new title.

I really hope these are console titles. I really miss these guys. :(

Neither of them have worked on a console game in about five years.

Dryk

He can take a break and develop at the same time, it just doesn't need to be full on crunch time level. Have some lowkey fun toying with ideas and whatnot.
I'm not actually sure he knows how. He kind of reminds me of my mum (though her thing is in regards to tidying the house) in that no matter how far his health falls he "has to get this done", when the best and most productive thing to do long-term is to get the rest he clearly needs.

That Persona 5 statement... Delay incoming?
Sakaguchi's new game, LO2, TLS2? traditional RPG please?

He can take a break and develop at the same time, it just doesn't need to be full on crunch time level. Have some lowkey fun toying with ideas and whatnot.
If you know workaholic in real life... Most of them go to routes of "don't work at all, or work like everyday's last day of the deadline"... Just my personal experience with them, I am a sloth.

TreIII

Fire Emblem Fighter lets go Sakurai!

Let him just direct and dictate, while Project Soul (Soulcalibur) does the majority of the work.

Bamco and Nintendo being as buddy-buddy as they are, I'd be surprised if they don't make this happen someday.

kiryogi

Banned
The most important one to me:

Koei Tecmo Games’ Akira Tsuchiya

2016 will be a personal fight for life. There are also Surge Concerto-related developments coming in the future.

Surge Concerto continues!

Sakujou

Banned
tlg
kh3
ff15
p5
wont be released in the west, if you'd ask me.
suda51 is also waiting and doing nothing....

Mentok

Banned
Grassshopper Manufacture’s Goichi Suda

What the heck is going on with Let It Die? Don’t worry, we’re making it!

Asked no one. Seriously, how many people saw the switch from Lily Bergamo and said "Ooh, now THIS looks more interesting!"?

ChaosXVI

Really curious to see what Sakurai could be doing next. I highly doubt he isn't working with Nintendo on something, but I really can't see it already being the next Smash. I expect an NX port, but I would figure he'd be in an advisory role on that if anything.

I want to see him do something different, maybe something that doesn't require him to work himself half to death. I never did check out Kid Icarus, but I've heard the controls make or break the game. The last time I took a chance on that, I got burned badly (The Wonderful 101).

AmyS

Looking forward to Dragon Quest XI and Ace Combat 7 the most, even if they don't release until early 2017.

rardk64

I'd like to see more non-Smash from Sakurai. I do still think he does great with Smash, and would love to see him involved in the next one (even if it's not as hands-on as the past games), but I'd like to see what else he can do as well. Kid Icarus benefited from Sakurai, so I'd like to see what else he can do. Maybe revive another retro franchise, or even a franchise that isn't dead but is just in need of a sequel. Perhaps a Sakurai Metroid would be interesting?

I'd be interested in pretty much any series he gets his hands on. He'll undoubtedly make it something different and new. Hopefully for the best.

Well mobile doesn't rule that out.;)

On a serious note I really wouldn't ignore the possibility that he might go his own way. His last few works with Nintendo have been the result of the close personal bond he had with Iwata.

Or the fact that they basically give him all the money and resources he wants. I have a feeling he has a pretty good relationship with Nintendo

Sesha

Fucking Capcapom.

What's Itsuno been up to? My hopes and dreams say DMC5 or DD2, but who knows. :(

Most likely working on DMC5. Their integrated report from last year included descriptions of their main development pipe line for the 2016-17 fiscal years (the 2017 fiscal year ending March 31st 2018) which implied that a new DMC game is in development. Development of DMC4SE was outsourced to Access Games.

Top Bottom