• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese GAFers: Are you standing in line for Wii? At all? Please?

Razoric

Banned
Rur0ni said:
fightwii.jpg

Great :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

samusx

Banned
Again, what is the situation in Kyoto. Is it still possible to go and wait in line to get one? Where to go in Kyoto?

So with 400,000 at launch in Japan that we know of, and over 600,000 sold in USA Wii is already over a million.
After just 2 weeks on sale......WOWSERS!!

DCharlie

Banned
pokewaiting.jpg

yes, it is unusually bright tonight - it's almost like a summers day! (... why am i continuity checking this image!??!!?)

So with 400,000 at launch in Japan that we know of, and over 600,000 sold in USA Wii is already over a million.
After just 2 weeks on sale......WOWSERS!!

a friend recently said "average gamers don't care about the Wii" ...

feud2.jpg

"if it's up there... i'll give you the money meself...

... Survey says ....

"X""

Should be Vernon Kaye (Family Fortunes) now not Les Dennis!!

I talked 3 people into pre-ordering a Wii just showing them a video i had on my laptop at work
Even got the Sister in Law in France to order one for her kids for xmas, her main reason for her liking it, she loves checking out the weather back home in Colchester, UK, checks it everyday and has to go online to do so!!
Wii channel will do that for her!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
DefectiveReject said:
Even got the Sister in Law in France to order one for her kids for xmas, her main reason for her liking it, she loves checking out the weather back home in Colchester, UK, checks it everyday and has to go online to do so!!
Wii channel will do that for her!

When do you break the bad news?

CalTopDog

My Japanese launch story....

So around 1 o'clock today, I began checking the net to see if queues had begun forming around Tokyo for the Wii. I couldn't really gauge the situation from my desk at work, so at around six, one of my co-workers went to the Bic and Yodobashi in Shinjuku where he was told they would be holding lotteries for the systems. I wasn't too keen on waiting all night in Shinjuku to come away empty handed, so I checked the two local video game shops near my place, about 3 stops from Shinjuku, to see how many Wiis they'd be receiving, and when they'd start selling the system.

The first shop said they filled all of their reservations, and wouldn't be selling any Wiis this morning. However the second shop I went to would be getting 27, and would be handing out tickets to the first people in line for the Wii at 9AM this morning. So instead of dealing with a lottery, I decided to stand in line for the Wii at a store about 3 minutes from my house. The thing was, by 11PM, there was no line at all, so I decided to just booze it up with a buddy for a couple hours at the local bars and izakayas, and check on the line every couple hours.

By 1 AM, one guy had lined up so we weren't worried at all about our chances. By 2 AM there was a line of around 2-3, and by around four o'clock maybe around 10 people were in line. At this point, we decided to join the queue. We were ready to stick it out until 9 AM, when the store manager came out at 5 AM and decided to hand out tickets to all of the people already waiting. He gave us Wii tickets with our number in line and asked us to come back before 11 this morning to pick up the system.

So in all, I only had to stand out in line for about 45 minutes, before receiving my ticket. So now I'm just going to take a nap and wait until 10 AM to pick up my system. All in all, great success. :) Had a great night out on the town, and didn't have to brave the cold too long before securing my Wii.

If any of JGAF is reading this, and still needs a Wii, head down to Koenji on the Chuo line and go to the Dorama video game store. As of 6:27 AM, they still probably have around 14-15 Wii tickets to hand out.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
CalTopDog said:
So in all, I only had to stand out in line for about 45 minutes, before receiving my ticket. So now I'm just going to take a nap and wait until 10 AM to pick up my system. All in all, great success. :) Had a great night out on the town, and didn't have to brave the cold too long before securing my Wii.

You're so going to oversleep.

Roi

WII Launches In Japan With 400,000 Consoles
December 1st, 2006

Nintendo’s game console, Wii debuts in Japan on Saturday.

Reports say that fans have been queuing electronic stores to be the first to get their hands on the consoles.

It is unlikely that stores will open at midnight, as many gamers have already pre-ordered their sets.

Since its unveiling in North America on November 19, Nintendo said it has sold 600,000 Wii units.

Local reports say that about 400,000 consoles will be made available exclusively for Japanese gamers, and analysts are expecting a sell out launch.
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005697959

apujanata

I'm lucky I decided to go with the US version, not Japan version. I might have to wait until march 2007 before I can get my hands on Japan version.

I wish you luck in getting your Japan wii on January, CVXFREAK. Suggestion : Isn't it better for you to ask JR to purchase it for you, and you get it from JR when you came to Japan ?

Srider

Banned
DCharlie said:
This is like something out of Monty Python!

JAPANESE For tourists :

中出しはちょっと危ないですが大好きです

I think you are very attractive

ソニー好きな人は。。。しこしこやろうかな

Oh yes, sony are fantastic!

etc etc...

I just came into this thread and DCharlie, you had the most entertaining post in japanese in this thread.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Well, it's about 11am. Just woke up...going to head down and pick up my system. I was at the movies last night unti a bit after 11pm, and was tempted to go look at Yamada Denki for a line, but the weather sucked bad so forget that!

Boerseun said:
The Japanese version of P.N. 03 has a small bug.

Do not exit a room before the combo counter has finished adding up your score, otherwise you'll lose the points you would have earned for the combo.

The problem was fixed in the U.S. and European versions. (I own the latter.)

Let us know when/if you've managed to unlock both bonus suits - it's a challenge that, in my opinion, only the truly hardcore can lay claim to have successfully completed (without cheating obviously).

I copied that off a GameFAQs forum something like a year ago.

Good luck!

I already own PN03, it's just that the game is back in the States. When it came out in Japan, I imported it, went all the way through it multiple times, and unlocked everything with no problem. It wasn't that hard! :) I want to get it again as PN03 is one of my all-time favorite GC games and it sells dirt cheap here.

I just picked one up from my local import store. >=)

I've been plugging through the menu and somehow got WiiConnect24 up and running. Now for some Wario Ware. Also, I'm assuming the JP Wii Store isn't up yet because it gives me a message after I connect saying something about not ready. I can only assume since I can't read kanji at all, but JP Wii GET!!!

Shamelessly ripped off Gizmodo.jp.

Turn your eyes to Exhibit A: the weather this morning in Tokyo on December 2nd, 2006. The day of the Nintendo Wii's launch in Japan.
061202ps3wii1_1.jpg

BLUE SKIES LOLOL

Now let's have a look at Exhibit B: the sky during the approximately the same time in the morning on November 11th, PS3 Launch Day:
061202ps3wii1_2.jpg

GRITTY GRAY CLOUDS ON THE VERGE OF RAIN OMG

It's a sign from the gods!

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Wait, is anyone interested in the gimicky of gaming? I don't get it!?

(goes to play english training again)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Picked up my Wii and games/controllers after selling another 10,000+ yen worth of stuff to the store. The place was super busy, with a LOT of parents with kids buying Wii systems and software. Also saw a lot of PS3 games being sold back. Only Wii systems and nunchucks were sold out. They had plenty of software available.

image207jb7.jpg

Anyway, I ended up with everything I pre-ordered except for the D-Terminal cable. Really thinking about buying an S-Video cable in the meantime. Also picked up PN03, a GC controller, and an GC mem card. It's too bad that the classic controller doesn't work with GC games or I would have bought that instead...it looks like it's shaped so much better.

Going to go out and look for a couple more (cheap!) GC games and possibly buy some Wii points and an s-video cable, and then I'll try it out...

Top Bottom