• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Man living in a Manga Kissa (Youtube content)

nush

Gold Member

13 minute watch - English subtitles

This guy instead of doing an hour commute on a packed Japanese commuter train each day lives in a Manga Kissa during the week. A manga Kissa is like a library with private booths you can read in and pay for the booth by the hour. They also have shower facilities. This is some out of the box thinking to improve his life / work balance. I can relate as I used to sleep in my car near my office a couple of times a week when the price of petrol was rapidly rising when I was also making -£20 a month even though I had a good (not great) salary. I'd have definitely preferred this as an option.

Doesn't seem so bad really if you don't mind sleeping in a chair. He has everything worked out as well, sometimes even protitutes look for work there.

eot

Banned
I’ve seen this video before I think, seems like a very sad existence. I sure as hell would mind sleeping in a chair, having to share a bathroom etc. Get a shared apartment instead.

nush

Gold Member
I’ve seen this video before I think, seems like a very sad existence. I sure as hell would mind sleeping in a chair, having to share a bathroom etc. Get a shared apartment instead.

It's a cheap option for him. Renting or sharing in an apartment in a major Japanese city can't be cheap.

VN1X

Banned
While these kinds of über-Japanese things are always interesting, it's important (and should go without saying) that this is not something that should be celebrated or whatever. It's cool that it's working out for him, sort of, but lets be real that's no way to live.

I mean a fuckin' prison cell has more space than the booths shown in the video.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sad existence in my opinion for most and it seems this guy is escaping from growing up - but fair play to him.

I do think its better to have options like this than the dumps we have in many of our major Western city's. Ultimately, the rules and premises wouldn't be respected like this if these were in London, New York or Paris etc.... their culture allows for it to work.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Sad existence in my opinion for most and it seems this guy is escaping from growing up - but fair play to him.

I do think its better to have options like this than the dumps we have in many of our major Western city's. Ultimately, the rules and premises wouldn't be respected like this if these were in London, New York or Paris etc.... their culture allows for it to work.
Oh yeah that's definitely true. I'd love for these things to exist in my country (I'd get more peace and quiet reading there than I do in my own apartment lol) but I just know they'd be trashed and destroyed within weeks.

nush

Gold Member
Yeah I saw that. I'm happy for the guy that he at least still has that.

I can relate, I've had some rough living conditions just to save money while I was working, but I had an actual home to go to at the weekends/holidays. You can deal with it for 4 nights of the week. Not having a long expensive commute vs being a short walk from work is a good payoff. Plus just a faction of the travel money you save pays for a really good breakfast.

Fbh

Seems pretty sad though I guess if you really can't afford even a tiny place this isn't the worst alternative.

I remember some months ago someone posted about these shared rooms in the US where you basically just paid for a bed and it was always full of people and there was this annoying chick who was like the owner or administrator.

I'd take this 1000 times over that. At least there's free manga and a tiny semblance of privacy.

AmuroChan

I like that these places exist. Earlier in my career I used to have a 2-hr commute (each way). On days that I had to work late I wouldn't get home until 10pm or later. I would totally stay at a manga kissa on those long work days where I'm totally exhausted and just want to crash some place nearby for the night.

KrakenIPA

Shit man, give me a beer and a firepit, and I'm good. Maybe that's what this guy does?

He's invited to my barbecue, that's for sure. He can probably shoot a good game a pool.

mcz117chief

I lived in Japan for three years and I found it baffling how so many people romanticised Tokyo. Every time I visited it, I'd grow tired of the place fast. The countryside is where its at.
Same. I only visit Tokyo for the arcades and @ Home Café, otherwise all the good stuff is outside of the city.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Dude seems happy about his situation, so no need to pity him or look down at him. At least he's out doing something with himself. I find it fascinating when people can live in these sorts of places. It also seems like Japanese people have a little more social respect and don't fuck around with each other/stay clean/etc.

I guess the american version of this is the "podshare" which I would hate way worse than staying at a manga cafe.

Wonder if the dude actually turned down the hooker. I'd imagine he's not getting much action given his situation.

I had spent the night in these manga cafes multiple times before when I was traveling in Japan. it's a decent option if you're stuck somewhere because you missed the train or something. overnight rates usually start around 9pm or something until 8am if I remember correctly. and for around $25~30 USD or so you can get a cubicle with a recliner chair, a computer and close door. the fact that they also have free self serve soft drink bar and some with even a shower room make them an actual option to consider sometimes. thou you'll probably want to leave your luggage in the train station locker, so make sure to have your toiletry with you.

thou of course, what I'm talking about is for tourist to get additional choices from time to time. the locals who are actually living there are often broke labor workers or illegals who can't really afford even that (and of course, someone like the guy in OP's video). in their situations, chances are that they have to get to the manga cafe early in order to make sure they get a seat. otherwise in the popular areas of big cities, they do fill up pretty fast at night. these folks would be paying maybe $5~10 USD a night for basically a seat and a table with boards on both sides, like what you'd find in some libraries. they would sit in the chair and rest their head on the table to sleep. it's tough for sure but it's better than sleeping outside I suppose. they can clean up before leaving and then head in for work.

I lived in Japan for three years and I found it baffling how so many people romanticised Tokyo. Every time I visited it, I'd grow tired of the place fast. The countryside is where its at.

yeah, I find that out of all the places I've visited in Japan, I like Kyushu region the most. that and maybe Kyoto too. Tokyo has it's fun but I honestly won't spend too much time there if I ever travel to Japan again.

Blond

Banned
Japanese real estate makes New York and San Francisco look like child's play. 600k for a one bedroom unit isn't unheard of in the slightest. You can get some places for under 100k USD in the countryside but then you'll be spending up the ass in train fairs. It's a weird place to live honestly...

Blond

Banned
yeah, I find that out of all the places I've visited in Japan, I like Kyushu region the most. that and maybe Kyoto too. Tokyo has it's fun but I honestly won't spend too much time there if I ever travel to Japan again.

Osaka strikes that perfect balance of a "big city" that's not overwhelming. Also the food is probably some of the best in the entire country (in my opinion.)

Wvrs

Love this stuff in Asia. In Korea I've been drunk on nights out and slept in PC rooms until the subway/buses start up and travelled to other cities and crashed in an overnight bathhouse for $10 rather than pay for a hotel.

The "always alive" mentality of cities is so good.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I always say, as long as I can shut the door, and have my own toilet, I am fine.
Agreed, cause I need absolute privacy in order to take a nice big shit in the toilet. Can't do that in a 1 bedroom apartment, with only one bathroom and 4 people living in it, much less in such a public place as in this video.

SJRB

Gold Member
His commute is only an hour, which is kinda wild to resort to these drastic measures. But as he explains a lot people use these locations as an escape from home, so perhaps that's the case for him as well.

That said, super interesting to see how clean and neat it is. There's no way a concept like this would fly in my country.

eot

Banned
Japanese real estate makes New York and San Francisco look like child's play. 600k for a one bedroom unit isn't unheard of in the slightest. You can get some places for under 100k USD in the countryside but then you'll be spending up the ass in train fairs. It's a weird place to live honestly...
I lived in Tokyo for a while, though my accommodation situation was a bit special, I know there's quite a wide range of prices when it comes to renting. Buying I have no idea about but I could imagine it being crazy yeah. Also, employers usually pay for your commute, so the issue is the time not the money.

buizel

Banned
It's a cheap option for him. Renting or sharing in an apartment in a major Japanese city can't be cheap.

I know this is different, but whenever I looked up Tokyo AirBnB's, you could stay in - there was always city centre B&B's starting at £7 ($10) a day for a shared room with internet and that.

e.g

(57 places at $15 or less p/n, not including monthly discount AirBnB offers)

Though of course not a house with own secure storage n that. And in retrospect it's probably not much cheaper than a small house.

^ Look at that, a whole month in that swish looking place for $380 a month! Makes me consider going if I knew anyone in Tokyo to hang out with n help me lol

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I know this is different, but whenever I looked up Tokyo AirBnB's, you could stay in - there was always city centre B&B's starting at £7 ($10) a day for a shared room with internet and that.

e.g

(57 places at $15 or less p/n, not including monthly discount AirBnB offers)

Though of course not a house with own secure storage n that. And in retrospect it's probably not much cheaper than a small house.

^ Look at that, a whole month in that swish looking place for $380 a month! Makes me consider going if I knew anyone in Tokyo to hang out with n help me lol
Get on a plane bro, You'll always have GAF in your pocket, report back. (y)

Top Bottom