• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Pokemon Fans Demand To Know Which Pokemon Have Been Cut From Sword And Shield

Fake

junichi_masuda_pic_3_w_pokemon-1038x576.jpg

This Friday, The Pokemon Company reminded Pokemon fans that pre-orders for Pokemon Sword and Shield are going to officially kick off on July 12, 2019 in Japan.

The official tweet made by The Pokemon Company received some very interesting comments from Japanese fans, giving us an idea on how they feel about the #BringBackNationalDex movement. These fans wanted to know which Pokemon have been cut from Pokemon Sword and Shield, and they want to have the full list before pre-orders begin next Friday.

Here are some of their comments as translated by NintendoSoup:

予約開始の前に不参加ポケモンの公表を望みます。
買ってから好きなポケモンがいないことを知るのは残酷です。
— キイロスキー (@kiiroski) July 5, 2019
“Could you please announce the Pokemon that aren’t compatible (with Pokemon Sword and Shield) before pre-orders start? It’s cruel to find out myself that my favorite Pokemon is missing after I purchase the game.”

流石に予約開始までに登場するポケモンと登場しないポケモンを公式サイトに掲載しますよね?
— ビビ (@vivi3days) July 5, 2019
“Before pre-orders begin, can you please provide a list of Pokemon that are appearing and not appearing in the games on the official website?”
リストラ問題を改善してくださらない事は理解しました。
しかし、未だリストラされるポケモンがいる事を知らないでいる人達にしっかり知れ渡るように説明するぐらいしてください。
自分で自分の首を絞めるような結果になってもいいんですか?
— シャドウ (@1021shadow) July 5, 2019
“I fully understand that you aren’t going to improve the cut Pokemon situation.
But you should at least make an effort to inform and explain the situation to your customers who still remain unaware about it.
Would (The Pokemon Company) like to result in strangling itself?”

source: Nintendo Soup

Paltheos

I don't see that happening. Neither do some of the fans maybe? I appreciate the tenacity though.

I've already made my own decision on these games. Pass until the inevitable second versions come out. I'm wagering on the full dex being available then (same situation as Ruby/Sapphire 200 to Emerald 386, except obviously on a much bigger scale lol).

Saber

Gold Member
"But dude!1! Thats only a petty movement, no one is really mad!1!"

Not even the japanese people are happy with their bad decisions. Lmao, you guys from Pokemon did it. Made the entire fanbase more angrier.

If I was boss of Pokemon: Only your favorites.

You mean "ours", right?

Because I never saw so much dick sucking for Charizard.

Inanilmaz

Gen 1-3 pokemon(+lil bit from other gens) are enough, they can delete the rest of the pokemon from history, so they can focus on better animations for the future games.

I dont know why they created so many new ones after gen 3 . One strong new pokemon for every gym leader would be enough and the rest of the team old pokemon.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Gen 1-3 pokemon(+lil bit from other gens) are enough, they can delete the rest of the pokemon from history, so they can focus on better animations for the future games.

I dont know why they created so many new ones after gen 3 . One strong new pokemon for every gym leader would be enough and the rest of the team old pokemon.

Releasing a new generation of monster capture games without a substantial number of new monsters is a dumb idea. More than anything else they are the bread and butter of your business. They excite players to buy your games and explore your worlds for new discoveries, and they create new opportunities for you to find hits among your creations to capitalize upon.

Saber

Gold Member

Not everyone is dumb enought to believe that the cut in pokemons means more space for better animations. Mainly because theres enought proof that shows they're lying. They just want to worry less with work about models they created in the first place.

I'm actually more inclined to believe that people would accept those cuts if they had showed something impressive as justification.

Last edited:

Caayn

One thing is almost for certain and that's that the entirety of gen 1 will be included. Knowing GF they'll heavily pander to the gen 1 crowd (yet again).

More on-topic: It's a shame that they haven't revealed an official list yet, which makes you wonder why they haven't done that yet.

Last edited:

Fbh

To be fair I see their point.
If they are already going to cut a bunch of Pokemon they should at least say which ones

The pokemon games already suffer from being too "samey" and not changing much from one entry to the other. If they didn't even add a decent number of new pokemone every gen that sameness would be even worse

Last edited:

FStubbs

They'll probably hear the frustration of the Japanese fans a little more.

They really need to reconsider their decision, because they could face a fire in the fanbase. I know people say "lol Pokemon is for kids who won't care about older pokemon", but my thinking is kids play Fortnite and Minecraft and the Pokemon fanbase skews older.

Bakkus

Gen 4 and 5 also have a lot of good designs. It was after that they really jumped the shark with all the Digimon inspired crap in form of mega evolutions and ultra beasts.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I never played Pokemon games so I might be very off base here but in SMT/Persona games some demons from pervious games wont appear in newer games. Is it that much of a big deal that not all Pokemon don't make it on latest game?

Saber

Gold Member
I never played Pokemon games so I might be very off base here but in SMT/Persona games some demons from pervious games wont appear in newer games. Is it that much of a big deal that not all Pokemon don't make it on latest game?

The difference is that Pokemon aways did that. Even worse, it's their slogan.

JimmyJones

Banned
Pokemon has been awful since Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Platinum. Black & White were alright but there was something missing from them I felt. The transition to 3D in X & Y was terrible. The 3D games could be great but the pokemon team are completely incompetent, they deserve all the flak they get.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Game is a few months short of being released and we still haven't seen many new Pokemon. I'm thinking the giant turds are the main draw of Pokemon UK at this point.
To be fair, these fans expressed a reasonable demand in a polite way. That's far better than the average western fan with the fuck-Game-Freak kind of comments.
For around 20 years or so people have defended everything about Pokemon this is the first time people actually are actually calling GF out and for good reason. Not that it matters cause the other 80% of the people are still gonna buy both games. I hope for once gamers prove me wrong.

Imagine building a team and every time a new game released you'd transfer them over and play against people with said team. Imagine that after forever you finally get to have a console game of said franchise that despite its many flaws it was something you've built over the years. Now imagine said game tells you it and future games will take away the thing you and many other players enjoyed about said series. Without the ability to play as our favorites PKMN will become nothing more than the yearly CoD.

Pokemon is in no way comparable with SMT outside from the fact that Pokemon copied using demons...sorry monsters for cockfighting rather than to kill god. Yes.

You know the worst thing about this? That Nintendo has competent programmers that can actually make a decent Pokemon game but since people buy these games no matter what they don't ever question the quality of their games. To put it into context I've bought every Pokemon game to date (one version not both) except for Sapphire and I'm skipping this one because even I think they are full of shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cynn

Gen 4 and 5 also have a lot of good designs. It was after that they really jumped the shark with all the Digimon inspired crap in form of mega evolutions and ultra beasts.
I have no issues with megas and ultra Beasts. It’s the ice cream cones, keyrings, flying swords and any PKMN who’s design consists of like three circles, eyes and a mouth that I’m not much into.

I like designs that ride the line between monster and humanoid like Scizor, Toxicroak and Alolan Marowak (three of my all time faves) as well as more monsterish forms like Drapion, Hydreigon and Reyquaza. Hell, I even like designs that are just tweaked animals such as Tyrantrum, Sharpedo and Pangoro.

Can all these please make the dex please? Thanks.

Fbh

Well as far as I know there isn't the expectation for all demons to be present in every new SMT entry.

But Pokemon has been doing that pretty much since the beginning and Gamefreak, Nintendo and The Pokemon Company haven't doubted about incentivizing their players to transfer and carry over their pokemon from one game to the other and doing the whole breeding and min maxing to make their ideal team they can then take to newer entries, on top of having a paid service for you to store your Pokemon and transfer them between games.

Also, SMT is a rather niche franchise. Even if the expectation for all demons to be there would exist, I think them being like "it would take a lot of time and be expensive, it simply doesn't fit into our budget and we'd rather spend the money we have making other aspects of the game better" would be more understandable than Pokemon, which is one of the best selling gaming franchises and part of the highest grossing media franchise out there.
For reference, during it's first year, SMT IV sold around 600.000 units.... Pokemon X/Y on the other hand sold More than 4 million units in 48 hours

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

Not everyone is dumb enought to believe that the cut in pokemons means more space for better animations. Mainly because theres enought proof that shows they're lying. They just want to worry less with work about models they created in the first place.

I'm actually more inclined to believe that people would accept those cuts if they had showed something impressive as justification.
Maybe, but everybody is dumb enough to buy all the shitty games they released in the last years

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe, but everybody is dumb enough to buy all the shitty games they released in the last years

True. But they would be willing to acccept that as long they have their mons on previous games.

Now they don't have this feature and still don't have the trade-off(in this case, Gamefreak trade the amount of pokemons for better quality and animations). So yeah, they're not that dumb. Unless you're counting the ones who doesn't have standarts at all and says "well, I'm gonna buy 10 games just because you guys don't wanna support pokemon games anymore."

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I don't see how they want to answer that question. They would want to address that 'Gotta Catch 'Em All' quote some fans had been confusing on though later gens. They are too dumb and entitled to realize.

Their western promotional stuff are certainly not helping their situation.

Last edited:
Well after the DS games, Pokemon tanked hard as far as innovation in actual gameplay. The 3D games have all been pretty terrible in my opinion. Then again coming off of Gold and Silver the GBA games were a big step back as well so eh. As much as I like the series I doubt they are going to cater so heavily to long time players when they got TV shows, toys and merch to sell.

One thing is almost for certain and that's that the entirety of gen 1 will be included. Knowing GF they'll heavily pander to the gen 1 crowd (yet again).

More on-topic: It's a shame that they haven't revealed an official list yet, which makes you wonder why they haven't done that yet.
Really? You actually wonder this?

They are obviously withholding this information because every Pokemon is SOMEONE out there's favorite and they will riot when they find out it's not included.

Pokemon as a franchise has grossed over $90 billion so being this fucking goddamned lazy is probably going to break the backs of many who have faithfully followed the franchise for 2 decades. The whole point of the franchise is catching them all or someshit, they've always done feature regressions over the years but actually regressing on the Pokemon count is killing the sacred cow and I don't really know how Game Freak thinks they can cross this line and get away with it.

Ryu Kaiba

I've already made the decision to not buy this game. Fuck The Pokemon Company. Many other studios have done a lot more with a lot less. If they were understaffed they can afford to staff up. Alternatively they could have outsourced the known Pokemon, or at the very least the visuals could have been bumped up to at least look like a PS2 game. For them to not do either of those things and on top of that have THE ABSOLUTE GALL to raise the price is an actual joke at this point, and they're the only ones laughing,. If you have any shred of dignity resist the game or at least buy it used.

MagnesG

Banned
I've already made the decision to not buy this game. Fuck The Pokemon Company. Many other studios have done a lot more with a lot less. If they were understaffed they can afford to staff up. Alternatively they could have outsourced the known Pokemon, or at the very least the visuals could have been bumped up to at least look like a PS2 game. For them to not do either of those things and on top of that have THE ABSOLUTE GALL to raise the price is an actual joke at this point, and they're the only ones laughing,. If you have any shred of dignity resist the game or at least buy it used.
Most people are gonna care about exploring the new regions with to catch new pokemon, so dignity is nothing in this aspect. They don't care but still, suit yourself for your effort.
Also, Pokemon Home are gonna be released on 2020, I'm laughing my ass right now for people who thought they can transfer old pokemon from the bank at the start. We still got at least 2 months to enjoy Galar without them, and that if they released it around New Years. Buy it day one physical and sell it or buy it used, folks, if you are raged that much from this.

Yeah but they never removed Pokemon before either. You could always assume that if the regional dex didn't have any particular critter that the national dex would so it never mattered.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also, SMT is a rather niche franchise. Even if the expectation for all demons to be there would exist, I think them being like "it would take a lot of time and be expensive, it simply doesn't fit into our budget and we'd rather spend the money we have making other aspects of the game better" would be more understandable than Pokemon, which is one of the best selling gaming franchises and part of the highest grossing media franchise out there.
For reference, during it's first year, SMT IV sold around 600.000 units.... Pokemon X/Y on the other hand sold More than 4 million units in 48 hours
Well that make sense, the Demons models in Persona 5 are much more detail than Pokemon.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
pokemon-sword-shield-new.jpg

Seems the very gimmick Game Freak invented might actually bite them in the arse.

I liked the first 3 gens then it felt like they took steps back with worse pokemon, story, graphics and maybe even features being taken out.

Pokemon isn't going to last forever and I don't think adding more pokemon is going to solve their problems now.

The Mega Evos Gimmick and now this Dyna thing are them trying to dilute the core experience as it has become bigger than themselves at this point.

They either need to hire more people to keep the numbers up or stop adding new pokemon so that they don't upset the fanbase by cutting old favourites.

You can't have your cake and eat it forever.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

If they're going to give us less Pokemon than the last game the least they can do is let us know how bad the damage is going to be.

Assholes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
We've had like 10 threads on the topic and it boils down to

GF long history of being cheap and incompetent devs
Nintendo not caring because people buy it anyway
People with zero knowledge defending GF
People pissed at GF for being the cheap and incompetent devs they have been for the last 15 years or so

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This decision would be easier to swallow if the game had significant gameplay improvements, such as manually riding/flying your Pokémon around instead of using a crappy bike.
Alas...

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This decision would be easier to swallow if the game had significant gameplay improvements, such as manually riding/flying your Pokémon around instead of using a crappy bike.
Alas...
You mean like Pokemon Let's Go?

Also here are all the unused animations from Moon/Sun they could have easily implemented on Sword/Shield.

IKSTUGA

I'm 100% fine with cutting mons, there are way too many anyways. I want megas back, though. Oh, and Dynamax looks like shit. Will buy day1 .

Last edited:

Barnabot

They should've cut that lousy "Dynamax" pokemon. I've heard stories it sucks more than being a pikachu. :messenger_fire:

Top Bottom