• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Reactions to the Ghost in the Shell (2017) Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Lucy and Twilight are abysmal by any metric. The hunger games isn't that good either, even when it's watchable. Specially twilight, which if I'm not mistaken is the most profitable one.

Quality isn't always the defining factor. Maybe GiTS was doomed to fail regardless of anything.

I think that poster was talking about commercial success, not how you personally feel about their quality. Lucy, Twilight, and Hunger games were all very successful movies.

Theecliff

Banned
A manga to movie adaptation does bad and below what higher ups expected. In other news, water is also wet.
...i'm not sure what this has to do with my post but okay? i wasn't trying to make an argument that gits would be some sort of exception in that regard. i was responding to a claim that johansson was responsible for the film doing well... even though it hasn't done well and that flies in the face of the whitewashing justifications for having johansson cast.

i wanted to find this specific post as a response to the whole star power thing before, thanks for finding it. we've had so many examples of the whole 'necessity of star power' not holding any weight and yet it's still used as justification for shitty casting decisions like for this film.

Skittles

Both Lucy and Twilight are abysmal by any metric. The hunger games isn't that good either, even when it's watchable. Specially twilight, which if I'm not mistaken is the most profitable one.

Quality isn't always the defining factor. Maybe GiTS was doomed to fail regardless of anything.
What does quality have to do with how well it does at the box office? That's not what you asked for. All those movies are box office successes with female leads.

OceanBlue

But people here explain also, if they would cast an Amercian-Asian actress for the part and the Japanese people would not like that, well that is not that much of a problem, because it is not about them or how they feel or what they think, because they are pretty much racists anyway.

Some even mentioned in another topic, if Mulan would be a Chinese actress that would not help the American-Asian community.
I believe in the thread you were talking about, they were talking about Asian-American actors getting roles as opposed to being sidelined for Asian actors, not the Asian-American community in general.

The explanation for why their experiences are different has mostly been that there isn't a problem of Japanese representation in Japanese cinema, not that they're explicitly racist in general. Also, the person interviewed has an issue with someone who isn't Japanese, not any Asian-American. The important thing is that there are obviously tradeoffs to casting a white person vs casting an Asian-American (even a Japanese-American). Recognizing those tradeoffs doesn't mean people shouldn't voice their issues with Asian-American representation in media and how this movie helps perpetuate those problems by going back to the idea that Asian-Americans in leading roles are unfeasible if you want to make money

Lol. You have no idea what you're talking about.

What don't I know?

That neither Mach Go Go nor something Bismarck were popular in Japan or that both series were massively rewritten for the American and later international market. Japan doesn't have any experience with the series called Speed Racer.

But please go ahead with your quality posts!

In my (highly anecdotal, obviously) experience as An Actual Asian-American Person, the "all white people lump Asians in America together isn't that terrible" thing has never really been an issue? I mean, yeah, it's shitty when everyone assumes you're Chinese, but in practice the idea of being lumped together just becomes part of that identity. I'm half-Vietnamese and I live in Ohio, so I have had no actual encounters with people who share this heritage outside of my mother and my sister; what that's mostly led to is the Asians I have encountered all coming together over the general idea of being Asian in a place where there's not a lot of us - you know, the American part in Asian-American. The Korean woman I talk to when I go to the grocery store doesn't give a shit where my mom came from. I'm sure those sentiments exist around here, but it's by and large never been an obstacle for me, which may be very specific to the area I grew up in but who knows.

I didn't really give a shit that they had a Chinese dude playing Togusa in the movie, for example; it was just nice they had an Asian dude at all, even if I'm not sure he had more than five minutes of screentime.

In my (highly anecdotal, obviously) experience as An Actual Asian-American Person, the "all white people lump Asians in America together isn't that terrible" thing has never really been an issue? I mean, yeah, it's shitty when everyone assumes you're Chinese, but in practice the idea of being lumped together just becomes part of that identity. I'm half-Vietnamese and I live in Ohio, so I have had no actual encounters with people who share this heritage outside of my mother and my sister; what that's mostly led to is the Asians I have encountered all coming together over the general idea of being Asian in a place where there's not a lot of us - you know, the American part in Asian-American. The Korean woman I talk to when I go to the grocery store doesn't give a shit where my mom came from. I'm sure those sentiments exist around here, but it's by and large never been an obstacle for me, which may be very specific to the area I grew up in but who knows.

I didn't really give a shit that they had a Chinese dude playing Togusa in the movie, for example; it was just nice they had an Asian dude at all, even if I'm not sure he had more than five minutes of screentime.
off topic, what part of ohio.

OceanBlue

This is my experience as well. Obviously you can't relate all of your experiences with people of a different ethnicity because your traditions will be different, but there are always common experiences you can share with other Asians like people making jokes about speaking Chinese or yelling at you to go back to Asia at a supermarket :).

mantidor

I think that poster was talking about commercial success, not how you personally feel about their quality. Lucy, Twilight, and Hunger games were all very successful movies.

I know, but since we are discussing why did GiTS bombed I think it's relevant, because people think quality should be enough when it isn't really.

As for quality I would refer mostly to aggregated reviews than my own personal opinion, Lucy is in the same ballpark as GiTS, Twilight is bottom of the barrel, these aren't movies regarded as "good" by the general population.

The only thing I'm sure is that as someone mentioned earlier female leads in action/fantasy/sci-fi are so scarce we really don't have a significant poll to chose and analyze from, and whatever we think was wrong doesn't really have a lot of data to back it up.

Usobuko

Banned
Just because they are contended with their national identity even though it's a questionable distant second at best in hierarchy under western's white umbrella doesn't mean the rest of Asia have to be.

Their thoughts are in-line with how the Japanese government acts with USA.

Stay at #2 if you want, the rest of us want real actual equality.

mid to north-ish Ohio, northeast of Columbus. mostly mid-sized towns and stuff over the course of growing up here.

Just wondering, since I have pretty much the same background as you. Vietnamese-American who grew up in Dayton Ohio. However I am just surprised you never encounter other people with the same background. There are a decent amount of Vietnamese descents around here. Welp I guess living in your area makes sense compare to a city like Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati.

Just wondering, since I have pretty much the same background as you. Vietnamese-American who grew up in Dayton Ohio. However I am just surprised you never encounter other people with the same background. There are a decent amount of Vietnamese descents around here. Welp I guess living in your area makes sense compare to a city like Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati.

Yeah, I don't doubt moving to a city would probably fix some of that. My hometown was very white in general. So I guess I wonder if people who grew up in cities around more Asian people embrace the whole thrown-together mentality the way I do or if that's a rural sort of thing.

4Tran

Some even mentioned in another topic, if Mulan would be a Chinese actress that would not help the American-Asian community.
While it's true that it won't directly help Asian American actors, a film that's successfully lead by an Asian actor would possibly open the doors for other roles for them. And Asian Americans in general suffer from such a dearth of representation, even a little bit would help.

Trike

Honestly I didn't expect any other reaction from Japan. The whitewashing controversy seemed to only be a western thing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No one in Japan knows the Speed Racer anime or whatever it was called there. The Speed Racer was seen as American movie (they didn't even bother with replacing the name with the original Japanese one).

The same way how no one would think that Saber Rider is somwhow based on an anime.

Uh

Speed Racer the anime is based from Mach Go Go Go and from what I heard didn't really differed from its source material.

Zoe

While it's true that it won't directly help Asian American actors, a film that's successfully lead by an Asian actor would possibly open the doors for other roles for them. And Asian Americans in general suffer from such a dearth of representation, even a little bit would help.

Nah, all Asian stars have done in the past is help out other Asian stars. Asian Americans didn't benefit from the 90's or early 00's.

Uh

Speed Racer the anime is based from Mach Go Go Go and from what I heard didn't really differed from its source material.

He's saying Mach Go Go Go was super unpopular, so the Japanese wouldn't have any nostalgia for it. Kinda like how the Japanese are confused why such an unpopular sentai was used as the basis for Power Rangers.

(I have no idea about the actual popularity of Mach Go Go Go)

I think people wanted the actress to not just be someone who was Asian but specifically someone who was Japanese. Otherwise, what is the point?

I'd agree that it would be just as racist/insensitive to cast someone from another Asian country and portray them as a Japanese character.

That's pretty much implying that all Asian people are "the same".

Boss Doggie

He's saying Mach Go Go Go was super unpopular, so the Japanese wouldn't have any nostalgia for it. Kinda like how the Japanese are confused why such an unpopular sentai was used as the basis for Power Rangers.

(I have no idea about the actual popularity of Mach Go Go Go)

Considering how often he is referenced by Tatsunoko in their works with meta, that's a big no. Hell, it spearheaded their attempt to do a more "less-cartoony" style anime and I think Amano started his stuff with that show.

Zoe

Considering how often he is referenced by Tatsunoko in their works with meta, that's a big no. Hell, it spearheaded their attempt to do a more "less-cartoony" style anime and I think Amano started his stuff with that show.
Well reverence between creators doesn't necessarily translate to audience popularity.

Boss Doggie

Well reverence between creators doesn't necessarily translate to audience popularity.

It's not as popular now yeah, but it is a relatively known icon is all I'm saying. Hell, Speed isn't in TvC yet is promoted in their TvC merch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But people here explain also, if they would cast an Amercian-Asian actress for the part and the Japanese people would not like that, well that is not that much of a problem, because it is not about them or how they feel or what they think, because they are pretty much racists anyway.

So the answer is to make all the Asian roles for white people then. At least going by your post.

OceanBlue

I think people wanted the actress to not just be someone who was Asian but specifically someone who was Japanese. Otherwise, what is the point?

I'd agree that it would be just as racist/insensitive to cast someone from another Asian country and portray them as a Japanese character.

Honestly as an Asian-American I would be happy with almost anything. The point is that there's almost no Asian representation at all so saying "why bother if we can't get it perfect" sounds like an excuse. It would be nice if I could be picky about Asian representation but it's usually small opportunities like this or nothing.

That said, I'd understand if people found it offensive which is why it's obviously not a straightforward problem. Asian-Americans aren't some monolithic group.

I do find it interesting they're more ok with a white actor taking the role than a Chinese or Korean actor. I kind of get it but it's a bit hard to relate. Like, as an American I don't have a problem when a British person plays an American character. Perhaps there's some "Don't think of us as a monolithic race" stuff going on, but I find that hard to separate with being ok with a white person taking it instead. I guess since it's kind of an uncanny valley like affect where they'd rather you go in a totally different direction than come up just short. I'm guessing it has more to do with some of the deep seated tensions between those countries.

Happens with white actors all the time.

4Tran

Nah, all Asian stars have done in the past is help out other Asian stars. Asian Americans didn't benefit from the 90's or early 00's.
That's because all of the successful Asian stars in Hollywood have only been successful in action films. And all that that does is boost the interest in action films. Even established Asian stars rarely got a shot at roles outside of that. Presumably a successful Mulan would be seen as more than a Kung-fu film. Truth be told, I doubt it, but that's largely because Asian actors are so stigmatized in Hollywood.

Not really, unless the audience is stupid. Black actors play a variety of people from Black Americans, to Caribbeans to people from African countries different from their family's. The same with white actors being able to play in anyone from Western Europe. Obviously it'd be awesome to get an actor who matches the race and the actual country of origin, but I don't think people make that assumption anyway

I love that their mind was blown by the cgi. Japanese cgi and costumes especially for anime related movies is fucking trash and stuck in the ps2 era.

I liked gits live action I hope it makes its money back internationally.

Sunster

Yeah, That has become apparent with people ignoring those trying to explain the situation or using "It's just one of those wierd american issues" to put the issue under the rug.

And the reason we keep having this same exact thread with very little differentiation in even the title.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Please tell me there aren't actually people surprised to learn that Japan is a different culture with different cultural values than the US.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So Japanese people are just glad non-Japanese Asians aren't playing them

Holy crap, what a world

Is it really so hard to conceptualize? I could very easily understand the argument that its more offensive to cast someone who is clearly, obviously 100% not Japanese vs. someone that's pretending to really be Japanese despite not being Japanese.

mckmas8808

I do find it interesting they're more ok with a white actor taking the role than a Chinese or Korean actor. I kind of get it but it's a bit hard to relate. Like, as an American I don't have a problem when a British person plays an American character. Perhaps there's some "Don't think of us as a monolithic race" stuff going on, but I find that hard to separate with being ok with a white person taking it instead. I guess since it's kind of an uncanny valley like affect where they'd rather you go in a totally different direction than come up just short. I'm guessing it has more to do with some of the deep seated tensions between those countries.

DING! DING! DING!

mckmas8808

Is it really so hard to conceptualize? I could very easily understand the argument that its more offensive to cast someone who is clearly, obviously 100% not Japanese vs. someone that's pretending to really be Japanese despite not being Japanese.

Black and White people do it all the time. Like someone said above, black and white people play as people from other countries.

Why is choosing to a white person better than choosing someone that's Japanese American?

Not

Banned
Japanese people should start getting it on with more Chinese and Korean people

Everybody just start fuckin

Put pressure on the nationalistic homogeneity bullshit

Angry Grimace

Black and White people do it all the time. Like someone said above, black and white people play as people from other countries.

Why is choosing to a white person better than choosing someone that's Japanese American?

I'm not suggesting this is a conscious thought, but consider that you're suggesting that a specific social value held by Japanese people living in Japan is less valid because in the West, we don't actually care about that value.

I honestly feel like there's a legitimate lack of respect for foreign values amongst supposedly liberal westerners. And trust me, I'm aware that it gets dicey when those values directly conflict with our own (e.g. socially-accepted misogyny), but the concept that Japanese people might be more upset about being lumped together with "asians" isn't exactly black-or-white. The argument laid out by the person in the OP is that nobody would realistically confuse Scarlett as Japanese, which is why they found it non-offensive.

...or you know a Japanese-American actress play her? We do have those here...

I'm not surprised though, there's always been a Japanese sentiment that they are the superior Asians.

karasu

Since the movie only debuted in Japan this past weekend, reactions have been slim in trickling in, but some preliminary reactions:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/japanese-fans-react-ghost-shell-992255

Most fascinating part:

The Japanese apparently have a much, much, much more different take on identity politics than Asian Americans or any cyber Social Justice Warrior can ever dream of

Yuki encompasses the entirety of "The Japanese"? Come on, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom