• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese TV goes to IGN, recreates Reaction Guys/Gaijin 4koma photos

RotBot

idgm0w.jpg

zn7z7o.jpg

NHK TV show The Net Star goes all the way to the IGN offices in San Francisco to interview Peer Schneider (the guy on the right) and recreate the E3 pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0RS_we5oy0

From Canned Dogs:
The famous 4 gaijin guys that everybody loves has appeared on today’s episode of NHK’s TV show The Net Star. The Net Star apparently went all the way to IGN to get to meet these guys. That’s Peer Schneider in the picture above, Senior Vice President of Content Publishing at IGN. He speaks nice Japanese.

Explanation from Peer Schneider:
http://blogs.ign.com/Peer-IGN/2008/01/23/78041/

They've also been looking for Crazy German Kid, but haven't been able to find him.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Heh, I never saw that version shown at the 0:35 mark - the bad Gundam cosplayer is well known, I didn't realize there was a jailbait variation made. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's funny, because Revision 3 tried to do a show like this - tracking down internet memes and weird websites - but the show didn't work out.

I find it funny that Japanese dudes are amused at the reaction shots of 4 random white dudes though. Especially when it's not the same four dudes in each picture. :lol

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Uh...I don't understand Japanese...did they actually explain why those pics exist? (PacMan/Twilight Princess)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
140.85 said:
Uh...I don't understand Japanese...did they actually explain why those pics exist? (PacMan/Twilight Princess)
I'm assuming they did. I didn't try to listen too closely to what Peer was saying as the Japanese voiceover was drowning it out pretty well, but it sounded like he was explaining it.

I'm taking Japanese at the moment, though not too far along, from what I can understand (I couldn't really hear Peer) he was recalling why they took the pictures.

CamHostage

Golden Darkness said:
It's probably the oldest E3 based meme out there, I think.

Actually, does "megaton" count as a meme? I thought it was from that same conference, that Nintendo was going to "drop the megaton" at E3. I could be wrong, I just don't remember "megaton" photoshops and thread titles being big before then.

CamHostage said:
Actually, does "megaton" count as a meme? I thought it was from that same conference, that Nintendo was going to "drop the megaton" at E3. I could be wrong, I just don't remember "megaton" photoshops and thread titles being big before then.
Megaton turned out to be a codename for an anime game, I think.

I was around the IGN boards during both of those moments, I remember being pretty hyped for the 'excited' one as this was before they started hyping/teasing everything only for it to turn out to be nothing.

And yeah that Zelda announcement was pretty damn special. Probably the most ZOMG moment I've ever had being a 'follower of gaming shit on the net' person or whatever we're called.

As far as the JPN thing goes, I have no idea how or why it happend but I guess its sorta funny, in a ooooook straaange kinda way. :lol

I miss the old Matt/Peer/Fran days of IGN Nintendo.

-PXG-

HallwayGiant said:
A bit of a long one to be sure, but it is GAF related.

1191174629625.jpg

Just watched Guren Hen today. :lol

Dai-Gun Doten Kaizan was so badass. Too bad it got killed mere seconds later. Can't wait for Ragan Hen.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Megaton turned out to be a codename for an anime game, I think.

An Naruto Gamecube game I believe.

I remember, it was from some Japanese magazine I recall.

It might have occured around when there were also announcements for the GBA Player for the Gamecube and/or the bonus port of Ocarina of Time w/ Master Quest.

Holy crap! This meme actually made its way into anime and manga? Not just fan-made, but official stuff? That's.......:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

KevinCow

Banned
firehawk12 said:
It's funny, because Revision 3 tried to do a show like this - tracking down internet memes and weird websites - but the show didn't work out.

I find it funny that Japanese dudes are amused at the reaction shots of 4 random white dudes though. Especially when it's not the same four dudes in each picture. :lol

Three of the four are the same, and in the same order too.

Though they are wearing different clothes.

Top Bottom