• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaxel- On the big Tournament Organizers in the Fighting Game Community

Hey Chris! Long time no see! At it's peak, UPN was actually the #6 most popular website on ALL OF THE INTERNET (amongst internet explorer users)... thats how big it was.
Actually, it's Liam (Archaic) here, not Chris. ^^;; He hasn't been part of Bulba since he handed it over to me in 2002. He's working with Blizzard as a designer on WoW these days.

Certainly has been a long time though. Didn't know you had an account here. Hope things have been going well for you. Well, apart from the obvious anyway. ^^;;

You only ever hear awful stories about the FGC. Is there anything to like?

because all of the money raised for charities, or the players with disabilities having their flights and hotels paid for so they can participate, or the prominent transgender and LGBT players that are often featured and treated as regular players without being made a spectacle, the guys who came from poor backgrounds and show up on stage and live the time of their lives, the camaraderie of the players which makes the FGC a tight-knit community, and Mike Ross making a run for better than 4th place don't make for compelling kotaku/penny arcade articles.

Revven

Have your experiences with Smash TOs been better, Jaxel? I hope you'll stream more events if so. Loved your Apex 2013 stream, was so good!

cjskater

Neo Member
Is Jaxel the same guy who started insulting everyone watching his stream at Apex last year (maybe the year before)? Spooky's stream was lagging at the time, the secondary stream was running fine in 720p, some stream monsters inquired about it and then the streamer insulted everyone. Pretty sure it was somebody streaming 3D games.

Sayah

Is Jaxel the same guy who started insulting everyone watching his stream at Apex last year (maybe the year before)? Spooky's stream was lagging at the time, the secondary stream was running fine in 720p, some stream monsters inquired about it and then the streamer insulted everyone. Pretty sure it was somebody streaming 3D games.

I believe that was bifuteki. Could be wrong, though.

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not, but it's hard to take all this super seriously when it's just one dude with any credibility saying all this stuff, and Triforce doesn't really count as credible.

I can understand how it could've came to be, though. If true, others have more to lose by burning their bridges.

Soo Triforce does not count huh lol stop being silly.

Camp Lo

Banned

Sure it wasn't the commentators? They're known to agitate the monsters from time to time.

def sim

Would be nice if he mentioned which game that was for. Not only that, 3k is a lot of money for playing a video game. Though I have a firm stance that this is not a job and shouldn't be seen as a substitute for one, so prize money can be w/e.

The issue is where the money is going, not whether playing videogames as a "job" is acceptable. It'd be nice to know which game he was talking about specifically, yes. At a thousand entrants, I'd have to guess Marvel.

The fighting game scene came from literally the ghetto. The arcades where you would expect shit to happen.

Hell even FFA (family fun arcade) had a bad rep outside the FGC in Northridge/Granada Hills.

Its really not surprising that people in power would be scummy. I love the players but I hate all the BS that the tourney scene has.

Jaxel

Sp00ky never streamed at APEX... I am the main streamer at APEX for the past 2 years. My experiences with the Smash Bros community has been FANTASTIC. They are extremely professional, and they treat people with the respect and dignity they deserve. Not to mention, they run their tournaments extremely efficient and on time.

Have your experiences with Smash TOs been better, Jaxel? I hope you'll stream more events if so. Loved your Apex 2013 stream, was so good!

I know he always raves that he loves the APEX guys and if they will have him again he will gladly stream for them.

tbm24

The issue is where the money is going, not whether playing videogames as a "job" is acceptable. It'd be nice to know which game he was talking about specifically, yes. At a thousand entrants, I'd have to guess Marvel.

Given, but is that really an issue of where the money is going? It's going somewhere and to be fair there's no reason it has to go in X place(like popular opinion of it should back into the prize pool). Would it be cool and nice? Sure, but I take issue with some people who demand that it has to.

Well, I know the Cannons' are well off, but that is from their day job.

Fighting games just don't pay much. If you aren't a sponsor play there is no incentive outside love for the game/scene to travel. If you get first place, you MIGHT cover travel, lodging, food and etc. And that is for a main game (SF4, Marvel, Injustice at the moment).

Locals like WNF are great for people, but majors? If you travel for majors you better be 1) sponsor, 2) winning or 3) money isn't an issue.

Nert

I'm far from knowledgeable on the politics of this, but I would just like to say that I'm a big fan of your streams, Jaxel. I also appreciate your willingness to engage with people here. Keep up the good work!

def sim

Given, but is that really an issue of where the money is going? It's going somewhere and to be fair there's no reason it has to go in X place(like popular opinion of it should back into the prize pool). Would it be cool and nice? Sure, but I take issue with some people who demand that it has to.

Sure, but we're talking about EVO here. It's essentially the superbowl of fighting games and the tournament is presented as the premier tournament in the FGC. Hearing that the payout for, possibly, one of the major games in the tournament is that low is jarring.

Jaxel, how would MLG be a better experience for the average pot monster than EVO?

Just curious to hear your take on it. I've seen you comment that if MLG had a chance people would abandon EVO.

I honestly don't know why MLG would be better than evo for the non top players, unless thy provided tons of free play stations and byoc space, for which evo has been slacking.

Jaxel

#6?! Thats amazing, what was your daily traffic like?

5.4 million page views a day. May not seem like a lot, but back in 1999, that was insane.

Fighting games just don't pay much. If you aren't a sponsor play there is no incentive outside love for the game/scene to travel. If you get first place, you MIGHT cover travel, lodging, food and etc. And that is for a main game (SF4, Marvel, Injustice at the moment).

Actually, sponsorship in the FGC usually don't account for much. People usually get an arcade stick, maybe free entry into a tournament here and there, and thats it. FGC sponsors really don't offer the players much of anything, but the players still accept it because if they don't, they will just sponsor anyone else.

5.4 million page views a day. May not seem like a lot, but back in 1999, that was insane.

Actually, sponsorship in the FGC usually don't account for much. People usually get an arcade stick, maybe free entry into a tournament here and there, and thats it. FGC sponsors really don't offer the players much of anything, but the players still accept it because if they don't, they will just sponsor anyone else.

Let me clarify

Sponsor from real competitive teams. EG, Complexity etc etc.

I assume Madcatz pays well to their top line (ie. daigo) and AGE does the same for fanatiq and Chris G.

But outside the big names I agree. Sponsors don't cover much in the FGC.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The stream monsters were right... the Illuminati IS keeping the FGC down.

yea it's weird that nobody in the streaming/tourney side is posting in this except jaxel. I mean they should have heard about this by now.

I can't really say anything about tourney organizers b/c right now there really isn't substantial or real proof, but I do agree w/ jaxel. FGC people can be scummy so it wouldn't surprise me if the big dogs were scummy as well.

Jaxel

Good lord Jaxel, to spend $300 on people who feed you shit is like masochism.

I'd spend it on a good hooker or stripper.

Because at the end of the day, I wasn't doing it for THEM... I was doing it for my community. If I didn't stream for them, then nobody would have. And as the pioneer of pretty much most of the tech that streamers in the FGC use, I could always guarantee that the streams were run well and the players didn't feel cheated.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So much of that sounds like the shenanigans I have seen happen in just about every geek/fandom culture you can care to name.

Sadly, it seems the same pattern always plays out. Everything is a wonderful fun hobby full of saints who put out for the fans. Then the first big moneymaking hub or enterprise arises. And half or more of the time, a few people of a certain type work to get themselves installed in key positions for ulterior motives. Usually fucking everyone they can over for free work and screwing them out of rights, investments, outright pay, etc.

I started going to tournaments last year and James Chen and Jaxel were the two nicest people I met. Shame to hear about all of this, but nothing's going to change unless you speak out. I hope some good comes of all this.

alstein

Jaxel, how would MLG be a better experience for the average pot monster than EVO?

Just curious to hear your take on it. I've seen you comment that if MLG had a chance people would abandon EVO.

I honestly don't know why MLG would be better than evo for the non top players, unless thy provided tons of free play stations and byoc space, for which evo has been slacking.

They did at MLG Raleigh. They also had an event where Kayane would play 2 hours random folks in SC. When I finally got the courage to try playing (I'm not a SC5 player), the event ended with me next in line.

Might have helped since I'm trying to learn SC5 now for TFC to go with VF (It messes up my VF game less than Tekken does)

kick51

Banned
Would be nice if he mentioned which game that was for. Not only that, 3k is a lot of money for playing a video game. Though I have a firm stance that this is not a job and shouldn't be seen as a substitute for one, so prize money can be w/e.

People in other genres of competitive gaming make a shitload more than that. It's a thing whether anyone thinks it's a legitimate way to make money or not.

First place at EVO being 3K is the most surprising. I mean, good God put up some of that sponsor money.

I'm not sure what game that's for, but MrWizard has said they don't make much on EVO and James Chen has backed that up.

unless they're all in on the illuminati too lol

Chindogg

Sure, but we're talking about EVO here. It's essentially the superbowl of fighting games and the tournament is presented as the premier tournament in the FGC. Hearing that the payout for, possibly, one of the major games in the tournament is that low is jarring.

Its also bullshit and laughable that anyone actually believes this.

alstein

3.3K being the prize for first place in a 400 man tourney with a 500 pot bonus and $10 entry is normal.

I could see 3K being 1st place for MK or KOF, assuming a 70/20/10 payout. Not for SF/Marvel.

I don't give a shit about the prize money since I'm not good enough to get it and never will be.

As for Wiz "not making much" on EVO, I'm not sure I buy that, but I'm not certain. I wouldn't be shocked if some money is kept under the table. venue fees are supposed to cover costs of a place such as equipment.

Top Bottom