• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jedi: Fallen Order won't let you dismember people with your lightsaber

Tesseract

Banned
I really don't give a shit. Yes, a few times it happened in the OT/PT (to humans, nothing impressive about showing droids getting chopped up, Samurai Jack did that shit on Cartoon Network a LOT) but that's different from seeing it happen to every single enemy you face in a SW video game. And if it was bloody that would feel very un-SW, and if there was no blood it would look stupid.

And no, the goddamn LEGO games don't count, because they're, you know, LEGOs. They flat out said you can chop up droids in the game, that's basically what LEGOs are. I mean, LEGOs don't bleed last time I checked.

I care more about gameplay quality, the story, and how interesting the locations will be. I'm also glad we're hopefully getting a SW game Jedi who's actually interesting and not boring and "edgy" (fucking Starkiller was the worst).

how dare you have doom in your name

Tesseract

Banned
It's actually referring to Dr. Doom, I just usually shorten it. I've actually never played any of the Doom games, just never interested me.
giphy.gif

RScrewed

Disney has nothing to do with this, Disney made Deadpool, remember?

The game is having concessions made to reach a wider audience as a business decision.

This is like when Terminators and Die Hard sequels began releasing at PG-13 ratings, always a bad sign.

Then again, I'm not sure I can recall any M-rated Star Wars games, can anyone cite a precedent for Star Wars games where dismemberment was allowed? Probably should prove that first before crying that the franchise has been watered down.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I really don't give a shit. Yes, a few times it happened in the OT/PT (to humans, nothing impressive about showing droids getting chopped up, Samurai Jack did that shit on Cartoon Network a LOT) but that's different from seeing it happen to every single enemy you face in a SW video game. And if it was bloody that would feel very un-SW, and if there was no blood it would look stupid.

And no, the goddamn LEGO games don't count, because they're, you know, LEGOs. They flat out said you can chop up droids in the game, that's basically what LEGOs are. I mean, LEGOs don't bleed last time I checked.

I care more about gameplay quality, the story, and how interesting the locations will be. I'm also glad we're hopefully getting a SW game Jedi who's actually interesting and not boring and "edgy" (fucking Starkiller was the worst).

Actually the lightsaber cauterizes the wound so it makes perfect sense that there would be minimal blood. When Luke, Anakin, Maul and Dooku all lost limbs in the films there was minimal/no blood.

There is no doubt that limbs going flying adds to the gameplay as well. It adds an extra layer of player feedback and makes combat feel more visceral thus improving the feel of the gameplay. Take the glory kills in Doom for example - these greatly enhance the feel of the combat. You shame your username.

Ol'Scratch

I can't say that I play Star Wars games for gore and dismemberment. Yes it happens in movies but more times it does not. I can not even honestly understand why this is even a thing. Can't say I remember dismembering anyone in the Jedi Knight series, or even the Battlefront series. This is just a bitch in crackers moment where edge lords want something to bitch about and point at another side.

JimiNutz

Banned
That I already said refers to Dr. Doom and I know you read it because you reacted to it. And no, for Star Wars I don't think stormtroopers' limbs flying everywhere would enhance anything, so forgive me if I do doubt that.

In fairness I read that after I had posted already.
Give Doom a try. It's pretty fun.

Doom85

In fairness I read that after I had posted already.
Give Doom a try. It's pretty fun.

I might sometime (probably gonna be a while, fucking rest of 2019/2020 is packed with games I will play as soon as they're out), but I admit I'll probably get to the Wolfenstein games first since I already own the first two of the recent ones, just haven't had time to play them yet.

LOLCats

Banned
Fine with me.

side note and not relevant to this game so much but:

...see boobs are way more important than blood and gore. No one cares if you remove some gore from games... But damn it dont take breasts from our games, i'm serious.

Last edited:
Because of how lightsabers work, cauterizing the wound, dismemberment in a Star Wars game wouldn't be like most violent video games. It wouldn't take away from the story and if anything it would add more detail and authenticity to the gameplay. Maybe it isn't mentioned enough but the physics of a game, or how things react to each other in the game world, can really help to immerse the player.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Because of how lightsabers work, cauterizing the wound, dismemberment in a Star Wars game wouldn't be like most violent video games. It wouldn't take away from the story and if anything it would add more detail and authenticity to the gameplay. Maybe it isn't mentioned enough but the physics of a game, or how things react to each other in the game world, can really help to immerse the player.
Bullshit. It would add literally nothing but something for weirdos to fap about. The devs have said that dismemberment will happen in powerful moments and dramatic moments. They have also said that you will be able to dismember droids and many other things. So someone wants to actually tell me that a Star Wars game, more so a Star Wars game soley with a Jedi protagonist and not some moral ambiguity will be lessened because you can not go and and dismember every person out there at will.

Romulus

It's okay to have GTA(and others) games out there with sex, violence, and drugs mimicking real-world situations, but having a fake laser sword cut off an arm in a completely fictional universe? That's too much.

And before you say GTA is rated mature, go play it online and tell me how many of those kids are of age to play it. It doesn't even fucking matter, kids play whatever they want.

Last edited:
The devs have said that dismemberment will happen in powerful moments and dramatic moments.
What does that mean? Cutscenes?

They have also said that you will be able to dismember droids and many other things.
Yeah, droids and spiders, but not stormtroopers. Why hold back if they're all out to kill you?

So someone wants to actually tell me that a Star Wars game, more so a Star Wars game soley with a Jedi protagonist and not some moral ambiguity will be lessened because you can not go and and dismember every person out there at will.
It doesn't even need to be every person. It could be every third or fourth kill. It depends on the encounter rate for each level. Obviously if you see it with every stormtrooper, it will get old fast.

Lmao at all the clowns acting like this is the first Star Wars game ever to NOT let you dismember with a lightsaber.
Then be the first Star Wars game to do it. Get people to post GIFs about it like they do with every other AAA game doing something cool, or we can just have the game come out and see people post about how "it would have been cool if they did something more with the gameplay, physics etc".

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

So it’s okay to hack someone to death with a nerd sword, but pieces can’t fall off. One of the only really good things about the Episode l games was the ability to hack droids into pieces. It just seems a bit dumb and needlessly restrictive.

Last edited:

zenspider

How is this not logical seriously?
A franchise this big, that is tied to one of the biggest movie licences for all ages.
Not being a deadpool gore fest?

Come on guys xD
Yeah it sucks. But this is hardly a surprise.

Dismemberment is like a major motif in the Saga. It's not a surprise, but not because it makes sense to stop doing it.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Um...who cares? Far from a major thing I’m thinking about when I’m playing the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Disney?? Jedi Knight 2, Academy, KOTOR1, KOTOR2, SWTOR and both Force Unleashed games also didn't. With amputations the games go from Pegi16 to Pegi18 I think.

I just platted Force Unleashed 2 not too long ago. It had it.

Both JK games it was an in game menu cheat included to activate it.

kegkilla

Banned
It's stupid as fuck to not at least include it as an option, but this is wayyyyy far down on the list of reasons not to give Disney any fucking money.

Disney's like.. we got an image to uphold. Think of the children.

Same Disney that made the Marvel TV MA rated shows on Netflix with extreme violence, cussing, sex, and drugs.

Hypocrites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom