• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jedi Knight and Academy are getting full VR ports to Quest 2(no pc required)

Romulus

This video is 3 weeks of development.

And Dr. Beef's team is handling it. He's responsible for some of the best Quest VR ports I've seen like Quake 3, Half Life1, and Doom 3. He's already familiar with both the engine and the hardware for this game. Keep in mind that 3rd person is also an option.

This is their Patreon. They just released a build for us to play and it's amazing for such an early stage. Right now one of the focuses is saber battles with other Jedi and it looks like multiplayer might be a thing of the future. But we're definitely getting the full game of both Outcast and Academy. I haven't seen a single one of their ports fail or even turn out average.

https://www.patreon.com/teambeef/posts

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Will this get pc vr support like steamvr? Or just for the quest?
Most Team Beef stuff are Quest only, sadly as they're all high quality stuff. With more all-in-one VR kits coming I hope they start seeing the benefit of platform-agnostic development so that they eventually also care to backport the games to PC VR as well, easing themselves into it by first going for all the Android based devices. But PC VR has plenty cool fan stuff of its own (most recently the RE games, Trombone Champ, Neon White, Half-Life 2 and tons more stuff). Different folks are working on remakes of Dark Forces and Jedi Outcast so hopefully at lleast one of them will be completed...

I actually prefer Dark Forces to the Jedi Knight games, I thought AI, gunplay etc. weren't great in Outcast or Academy. Very linear A to B level design too. But visually they were spot on and the lightsabers and force powers Dark Forces lacked were excellent. I guess remakes could fix stuff, if they're finished. There's Dark Forces 2 also, the first Jedi Knight, which I could prefer also if it's well made, I guess I preferred the gunplay/AI in the old school engines to what they did with the Quake 3 engine, but I never got it to run well on a modern system so I'm just going by folks saying it's similar to 1.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Most Team Beef stuff are Quest only, sadly as they're all high quality stuff. With more all-in-one VR kits coming I hope they start seeing the benefit of platform-agnostic development so that they eventually also care to backport the games to PC VR as well, easing themselves into it by first going for all the Android based devices. But PC VR has plenty cool fan stuff of its own (most recently the RE games, Trombone Champ, Neon White, Half-Life 2 and tons more stuff). Different folks are working on remakes of Dark Forces and Jedi Outcast so hopefully at lleast one of them will be completed...

I actually prefer Dark Forces to the Jedi Knight games, I thought AI, gunplay etc. weren't great in Outcast or Academy. Very linear A to B level design too. But visually they were spot on and the lightsabers and force powers Dark Forces lacked were excellent. I guess remakes could fix stuff, if they're finished. There's Dark Forces 2 also, the first Jedi Knight, which I could prefer also if it's well made, I guess I preferred the gunplay/AI in the old school engines to what they did with the Quake 3 engine, but I never got it to run well on a modern system so I'm just going by folks saying it's similar to 1.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 would need a complete remake to be good its not aged well and kind of reminds me of that Dactyl Nightmare Mall VR Kiosk from the 90's. This actually looks pretty good for VR/Mobile and its unreal based
8LHCW6c.jpg

Last edited:

CuNi

Good to hear that there is so much happening behind the scenes to bring flat games to VR!

I'll keep my eyes out but everything quest only is of no interest as I only have a index and reverb g2 and I'm not willing to buy into the Facebook ecosystem.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 would need a complete remake to be good its not aged well and kind of reminds me of that Dactyl Nightmare Mall VR Kiosk from the 90's. This actually looks pretty good for VR/Mobile and its unreal based
8LHCW6c.jpg
I don't mind outdated visuals, hence I prefer Dark Forces 1 which is basically Star Wars Doom. Though it's true crude 3D like 2's is worse in ways, I don't mind, I was still playing the likes of Quake even before the remaster. Outcast/Academy were Quake 3/id Tech 3, not Unreal. Unless Team Beef are porting it to a new engine for the VR version? I'd think they're working off what they did for RTCW & Quake 3. But yeah, in regards to PC VR I meant a full remake of Dark Forces 2, like the full remake of Dark Forces 1 in the youtube clip I posted (which is on Unreal, as is the remake of Jedi Outcast).

Last edited:
This shit looks so fire. I haven't played it yet, but already imagining Star War Galaxies scale with this shit; Give me the same graphics and I'm still cool with it.

Romulus

I played an update this morning and it's basically testing the fundamentals of lighsaber fighting against AI Sith in VR.

The AI here is set to be low aggression for testing but you can see since yesterday some things have improved. Yesterday sabers would not clash on impact and there seems to be more effects. I really wish this team had the budget to do more games.

Last edited:

Romulus

It is touched up a bit.
Regardless of the visuals it looks fun.

It is really fun. I stood there for 3 or 4 minutes deflecting blaster bolts back at stormtroopers last night. And I think for it being a mobile port, 90fps is really impressive. I think the recent console ports were 60fps.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I don't mind outdated visuals, hence I prefer Dark Forces 1 which is basically Star Wars Doom. Though it's true crude 3D like 2's is worse in ways, I don't mind, I was still playing the likes of Quake even before the remaster. Outcast/Academy were Quake 3/id Tech 3, not Unreal. Unless Team Beef are porting it to a new engine for the VR version? I'd think they're working off what they did for RTCW & Quake 3. But yeah, in regards to PC VR I mean a full remake of Dark Forces 2, like the full remake of Dark Forces 1 in the youtube clip I posted (which is on Unreal, as is the remake of Jedi Outcast).
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with old 2D visuals but 3D from this era looks like absolute garbage without some serious mods. I guess I'm kind of a hypocrite though I am generally fine with N64 games upscaled and some PS1 stuff but the majority of 3D games prior to 1998 just look like dog shit to me and they don't play or animate well.

Oh what the hell time to give Jedi Knight DF2 a shot on Steam Deck!

Romulus

Saber fighting is definitely improving. I fought the AI with the newest build yesterday and it was one of the most intense duels I've had playing stars wars games.

Not my vid, but you can see they're alot more active

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Saber fighting is definitely improving. I fought the AI with the newest build yesterday and it was one of the most intense duels I've had playing stars wars games.

Not my vid, but you can see they're alot more active

Why don't you play Jedi Academy as the combat is more "deep"?

Romulus

I hope I can play this somehow on my quest 1. Does it also work on pc via virtual desktop?

I think I heard someone mention its running on Quest1 but at a lower framerate. You might have to turn off some of the graphics mods. PC is a no go for the beef port atm.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Vr should invite everyone to its controls there’s plenty of games to be vr, bounty hunter vr, rogue squadron vr.

Jedi: Outcast has higher review scores than Jedi: Academy, I've always wondered what made the first game better. Academy had a character creation system similar to Mass Effect and felt more smoother gameplay wise in my opinion.

Jedi: Outcast has higher review scores than Jedi: Academy, I've always wondered what made the first game better. Academy had a character creation system similar to Mass Effect and felt more smoother gameplay wise in my opinion.

It didnt have Rosh "stop that Jaden" Penin.

I've only played a little of each on the PC and I enjoyed Jedi: Academy's character creator, especially the ability to choose your own lightsaber, I mean that shit is off the chain!

Customization.jpg

Just messing with ya. I played Jedi Academy mp for 5 years straight, we even had ESL matches and shit. Good times.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Outcast was the better game, online gameplay, etc..

They removed a lot of the "stick and move" saber strategy and it turned into more of a spamming click fest.

Romulus

The story and level design were better in the first game too.

Romulus

Academy beta just went out. It's incredible. Even the movie duels mod works in VR. Played as Kenobi against Darth Maul in the scene at the end of the Phantom Menace.

Jedi Outcast full version launches this week. It has a mod menu that's super easy to mix and match.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I subbed to their patreon for a while and played the beta. Did they fix the weapon models already? I remember that they were ripped straight from the game files and were missing textures on most of their right sides (which normally is never visible in a regular version but becomes a bit immersion breaking in VR).

Last edited:
Top Bottom