• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Goldblum under fire for question about Islam on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’

belmarduk

Jeff Goldblum has become the subject of controversy online after being a guest host on the 12th season of RuPaul’s Drag Race earlier this month.

During a “Stars and Stripes Forever” themed-segment, where contestants were asked to come up with patriotic drag outfits, the American actor inexplicably pondered if Islam was an “anti-homosexuality” or “anti-women” religion in front of a Middle Eastern contestant.

Iranian-Canadian drag queen Jackie Cox (or Darius Rose) took to the runway in a red and white stripe-emblazoned caftan along with a blue veil which was donned with 50 silver stars — much like the American flag.

When asked if she was religious by the Jurassic Park (1993) star, Cox admitted she wasn’t, before providing the judge’s panel with some context on her wardrobe choice.

link

Grinchy

Banned
M3icW3G.png

Basically how everyone deals with the subject.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This bothers me about as much as someone being proud to be a Muslim, on a public show like that.

Which is to say that it doesn’t.

If we truly live in a culture based around the open and free transmission of ideas (we don’t), everything is fair game, from praising and thanking deities, to criticism of the same ideas.

Twitter’s perpetually offended bedwetters crying about the latter, should have no bearing on that.

cryptoadam

Banned
Iranian Canadian. What does Iran do to its gays? Deny the exist, hang them, or force them to have gender re assignment surgery. I think we could call that a bit anti-homosexual.

Forcing women to wear hijabs seems a bit anti-women all though Iran is a bit more advance how they treat women in comparison to other Islamic states. They aint no Saudi Arabia or anything.

Some celebrity did something. Hypnotize me if old.

bRacing

Banned
No lies detected. It's like asking if Christianity has a problem with homosexuals and women, or with homosexual priests raping little boys. Of course they do. Fuck religion.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
One of the aspects I find most disturbing about Islam is that if I were to say something overly negative about it, "devoted Muslims" are required by it's teachings to kill me on the spot.

Wtf?

Last edited by a moderator:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People watch that show?

Are you joking? It's one of the most watched shows on TV.

It's like The Walking Dead, it doesn't mean it's good, but everyone and their grandfather in drag watches it.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to offer free trips to people who believe Islam is accepting of these lifestyles to the middle east on the condition they travel with their partner, wear visible pride flags, hold hands in public while wearing a camera to document the experience. I'd keep doing that until enough of them got beaten/murdered so the community got the picture.

teezzy

Banned
Fuck these stupid sacred cows you're not allowed to critique or question and those who support such narratives flaunting about as if they're intellectually progressive because of it.

Good on Goldblum. Liberals bash Bill Maher for the same shit.

YukiOnna

This bothers me about as much as someone being proud to be a Muslim, on a public show like that.

Which is to say that it doesn’t.

If we truly live in a culture based around the open and free transmission of ideas (we don’t), everything is fair game, from praising and thanking deities, to criticism of the same ideas.

Twitter’s perpetually offended bedwetters crying about the latter, should have no bearing on that.
Pretty much. Everything is allowed to be questioned and it shouldn't be taken as "under fire". And knowing how Goldblum is, he would have never had any malicious intent in the first place.

nah, it's a fact

death for apostasy is also a problem, among others

all religions are pretty fucked, tbh
This. From my pov, every religion has its problems, archaic ideas, black histories, etc.

cryptoadam

Banned
You're a Jewish person from Iran? That couldn't have been fun.

No not me, the contestent was Iranian Candian. At least thats what I heard them say.

Being a gay cross dresser in Iran = sex change and then playing on the female soccer team.

Top Bottom