• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb believes Crystal Dynamics, IO Interactive and Avalanche may be acquired by Xbox if their games works well

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Thanks mods for the title change

Sign Language Asl GIF by @InvestInAccess

Last edited:

wipeout364

Crystal dynamics would be a great acquisition. Avengers was kind of a dud but I think that was just crystal dynamics being out of their element with a service title more than the company losing its touch. The writing and characters were still good.

Avalanche are a bit more erratic in their quality but Mad Max was pretty amazing and Rage 2 was good fun.

I/O seem to be a one trick pony, it’s a good trick but I don’t know if they would be a good fit especially since things went sideways with their last owner.

kyliethicc

Wow this is the first I’m hearing of this, they moved it to 20$ a month!!!!!!!!

Cmon, you know what he meant.

Xbox doubled the cost of a 12 month subscription of Xbox Live Gold from $60 to $120.

"The company announced a price hike on Friday that would have doubled the cost of a yearly subscription to the service, which is required to play games online on Xbox consoles, to $120 for many users."

NonPhixion

Gonna have to buy one of those studios off Sony after they buy Squenix. If it goes smoothly, they may be acquired.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
If Guardians of the Galaxy won't be big success it would not surprise me in the slightest that Square would after Avengers failure just sold both of their western studios (Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal) to Microsoft along with Tomb Raider IP.

Because while Japanese side of Square is printing money western division is one fail after another commercially

Freeman76

Probably crap but would be great if true, if only for the Hitman series to get MS wallet behind it. The possibilities are mindblowing with the level of skill those devs have.

Jose92

[Membe
No shit sherlock. This guy mixes up opinions with things that he have actually heard, which imo brings down his creditability.
#chattingshittopthetop

Last edited:

FranXico

Cmon, you know what he meant.

Xbox doubled the cost of a 12 month subscription of Xbox Live Gold from $60 to $120.

"The company announced a price hike on Friday that would have doubled the cost of a yearly subscription to the service, which is required to play games online on Xbox consoles, to $120 for many users."

Come on, they backtracked. That means we can pretend it was never going to happen.

Avalanche and Crystal Dynamics, I can see that happening. IO Interactive, I doubt, but it is still within the realm of the possible. I expect MS to absorb a dozen more by 2028/2029 (The end of the generation). I am thinking Sega, other western Square Studios, smaller teams...To get to around 35+ studios under their belt. That would allow them to get a constant stream of in-House titles while reducing their reliance on third party publishers gradually. Or they could pull off another power move (Ubisoft, for example) to cement their position as the Netflix of gaming streaming platforms.

Last edited:
Then Microsoft buy Square-Enix, it's not hard to work out.
Yeah like it's that simple.

I don't think Square Enix wants to be bought. People think that a Bethesda-sized acquisition can happen very easily but it's not that simple. They wanted to be bought. Sony managed those multiple timed exclusives for that reason. The company was in a bit of a trouble. They almost got Starfield as well but MS got to it first, right?

Also, MS wouldn't buy Square Enix just for a studio.. Square Enix is a lot more than just videogames and they are doing really well at the moment. This is the best they've ever been since their crisis in the early 00s. There's a reason they were so quick to dismiss those rumors a year ago.

Companies like Square Enix or Kadokawa (Fromsoftware) are more suited to Sony since a lot of their businesses intertwine...but I really can't see them getting acquired for now. I can see MS acquiring more publishers but not these tbh.

That Bethesda acquisition ruined these conversations. People are constantly waiting and hoping for these huge companies to be acquired...but there aren't many publishers wanting to be or needing to be acquired.

Papacheeks

Banned
Not going to lie by far the most sensible look on XBOX partnerships. But know I/o, Avalanche, Crystal Dynamics parent company’s have been shopping these guys around.

And MS is going to have one game be done by each as a barometer to gauge if they should acquire.
Unlike long term partnerships that go over multiple titles.

Avalanche are same guys who did just cause series which in my opinion shows it’s just played out.

To me this is MS trying anything at this point.
If they do end up acquiring all three. The amount of money invested to return doesn’t make sense. And do the IP’s come with them?

Wizz-Art

Crystal Dynamics seems almost as a given, their former head is the studio head of the Initiative and now they've been hired to do work on Perfect Dark. I would applaud the move to aquire them.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Difference is Sony has connections/history with every studio they try to acquire or make deals with.

ms want to possibly buy these studios based on one project.
isn't firesprite or whatever their name is a new founded studio from activition devs?

Top Bottom