• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb on Xbox/Bethesda E3 showcase: "Don't expect to see Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade, or IOI"

Varteras

Gold Member
Temper expectations and be pleasantly surprised if they show more than the low bar you set. Their Zenimax acquisition is going to take a long time to bear any real fruit. The best you're gonna get there is Starfield and told to wait a couple more years. Many of these other studios they picked up were in the middle of making games that have already released within the last year or two or will be soon. It's going to be a minute before we see anything substantial and new from them. If you're going to go making bets the safer option would be third party contracts. I'm hoping he's wrong though because I really want to see more of Avowed. That trailer last year piqued my interest.

Metnut

I’ll laugh my ass off if all they show off coming soon is Halo, Gears, Forza and Simulator with stuff like Starfield looking like a 2023 release.

Last edited:
Xbox is in MUCH better place now than 2013 dude. Series X was far more accepted and appericiated and thankfully Phil doing the best he can.

It doesn't matter how much money you throw at something though, because us sadly as humans don't have an ability to magically make things happen within minutes lol. Studios acquisitions happened not to long ago and as I said these are actual next gen games. Not sure why your saying people have been waiting since 2013.

2013 Don Mattrick just shot Xbox in front of the world thanks to DRM and Sports sports sports TV TV TV.

Xbox One was the third console curse for Microsoft just like how the PS3 was for Sony. Thankfully tho, both PS5 and Series X are off to a great start and both have good things to offer. At that point, its just what you prefer personally.
Cut the bullshit my friend. In 2013, Xbox had Titanfall, Ryse, and Dead Rising 3.
Don knew his business.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I hope he's wrong about Fable. I don't even want a lot. Even just another teaser. Something. I freaking love Fable.

He has to be wrong on avowed pls.... Just something small would be nice.
Wasn’t expecting Fable but still disappointed it won’t be there. Hell blade not being there is surprising though. Well see.
Fable was just recently announced to be in development, way too soon for anything to be shown. Avowed is a maybe but not showing hellblade must mean something has gone wrong with devlopment, its been in the works for years.

Temper expectations and be pleasantly surprised if they show more than the low bar you set. Their Zenimax acquisition is going to take a long time to bear any real fruit. The best you're gonna get there is Starfield and told to wait a couple more years. Many of these other studios they picked up were in the middle of making games that have already released within the last year or two or will be soon. It's going to be a minute before we see anything substantial and new from them. If you're going to go making bets the safer option would be third party contracts. I'm hoping he's wrong though because I really want to see more of Avowed. That trailer last year piqued my interest.
I get what you are saying, I take this approach to everything, but it's been a decade of low expectations, disappointment and broken promises from xbox. They owe us a big presentation after the trainweck of the last gen. 35 first party studios I expect to be blown away with first party only on xbox reveals. Take the muzzle and chains off, get hype lol!

Because they needed to sell hopes and dreams with a new system that has no new content
I mean, they basically took Sony's approach last gen, particularly their E3 2015 approach (those games didn't come out for like five whole years later). Difference is Sony was already building back some serious rapport with hardcore/core gamers thanks to 2011-2013 era PS3 1P releases, and early PS4 1P successes like Infamous: Second Son and Bloodborne (plus having the clearly more powerful system).

Microsoft is kind of odd because while they have consistent performers like Forza, racing games are somewhat niche and don't have the emotional/narrative hook a lot of people look for. FS 2020 is fantastic, but it's PC-only for now and again, no real story there for emotional/narrative hook. Halo's been in a rough spot for years; Gears 5 was solid but basically "more of the same", and they did fuck-all for Hivebusters promotion outside of a blog post talking about Bautista being in there.

Games like Ori and Cuphead don't even feel strongly associated with Xbox brand despite starting there, because they quickly went to PC and consoles like Switch (Ori) & PS4 (Cuphead). Minecraft is arguably the largest IP in gaming but barely associated with Xbox in any strong sense feels like. Games like Ryse and Sunset Overdrive are good but get overshadowed plus never got follow-ups to build off momentum. TitanFall never really built the community it needed and the sequel flopped; interest has picked up again but not in a way that's strongly associating the brand with Xbox. And then of course there were duds like ReCore and Crackdown 3.

So basically Microsoft has been a lot more scattershot on that front but they need to be much more consistent. Especially considering that while they may technically have the more powerful system, currently the best-looking games for current-gen are PS5 exclusives (Demon's Souls remake, Rachet & Clank: Rift Apart, Returnal etc.), and 3P releases as a whole have a (slimming, but still somewhat present) performance advantage on Sony's system for quite a few games.

Those are probably reasons why, even though Sony didn't have a lot going on from 2013-2015 in the 1P front (also can't forget the disasters that were Drive Club and The Order 1886...well, they launched in a poor state but at least Drive Club was improved with updates. The Order was forever a short game with mostly QTEs for its gameplay, quite shallow), they were able to push through that perception thanks to breakouts like Bloodborne, having worldwide presence and clearly better-performing 3P games.

Microsoft doesn't quite enjoy some of those benefits yet, not until they get some consistent 1P games, and 3P games start clearly and consistently performing better on their system. There's good chance they'll get there in the next few months, though, at least for some things.

e&e

Banned
Are you serious? You actually expect them to announce next gen games releasing this year? Why? If there were any they would have announced them last year when they had a console to launch. Games aren't announced with 4 months of anticipation unless they are yearly release dates. Games are announced with at least a year before they are released, more likely two years.
Lol ask Nintendo how they do it...

He has to be wrong on avowed pls.... Just something small would be nice.
Wasn’t expecting Fable but still disappointed it won’t be there. Hell blade not being there is surprising though. Well see.
Obsidian has 5 games in development. One of them is a rumored Fallout New Vegas 2. Not saying it will be here, but that is believe its one of the games they're working as well on top of awoved. They have a lot of teams.

Seems like this guy has a habit of getting things right, although MS still had a strong show. Forza, alongside Halo, is important for them at the end of the year.
Yes because anyone doubted Halo or Forza coming out this year. Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade, and whatever IOI are doing are the most interesting titles. They can be system sellers.

Top Bottom