• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jenna Ortega Circling Burton’s “Beetlejuice” Sequel

bitbydeath

Fuck yes!
THR reports that Burton and Michael Keaton will return as director and star respectively with filming eyeing a late May or early June start in London. The project’s budget has not yet been set which may still impact things.
If a deal is made though, sources for the trade indicate Ortega would play the daughter of Lydia Deetz, the character played by Winona Ryder in the original. No word as yet on whether Ryder herself might return or if her character is even in the film.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I can't believe Beetlejuice 2 is actually happening officially.

When I was a kid this was my favorite movie. And I had a huge crush on Winona Ryder.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's kind of weird that Winona Ryder is slightly older than me. I think just by about 2 years or something.

She still doesn't look bad or at least she didn't in the last season I watched (season 3) of Stranger Things.

Thaedolus

Shit I’m down. We watched the first one a couple years ago, my wife had never seen it, and I hadn’t seen it in decades, but I was blown away by how much of it was ingrained in my memory. I was also kinda surprised my parents let me watch it so much as a kid, not sure if we had an edited version or what but I never caught Keaton’s f bomb before hah

jason10mm

Gold Member
What more is there to say about Beetlejuice? Just a soft rehash of the original? I feel like the quirkiness of the first one (and Burton in general) has looooong since passed it's shelf life, and unless he goes back to stop motion effects and full sets it's just gonna be a CGI laden "The Volume" smear of digital poo lacking in charm. Current filmmaking is just too cynical and jaded to be able to balance the malevolence/naivety of 80's filmmaking. They will either have to lean in on full blown horror or it will be a thin joke of a film reliant on sight gags.

Then again, it's been a hot minute since I've actually sat down and really watched BJ, maybe it doesn't hold up as well as I remember.

GymWolf

What more is there to say about Beetlejuice? Just a soft rehash of the original? I feel like the quirkiness of the first one (and Burton in general) has looooong since passed it's shelf life, and unless he goes back to stop motion effects and full sets it's just gonna be a CGI laden "The Volume" smear of digital poo lacking in charm. Current filmmaking is just too cynical and jaded to be able to balance the malevolence/naivety of 80's filmmaking. They will either have to lean in on full blown horror or it will be a thin joke of a film reliant on sight gags.

Then again, it's been a hot minute since I've actually sat down and really watched BJ, maybe it doesn't hold up as well as I remember.
I watched it recently, it is still a cult classic.

DKehoe

There's a story from one of his Evening With shows where Kevin Smith talks about his experience of writing a Superman film back in the 90s. In it he mentions the various projects that Warner Bros offered him rewrite work on and one of them was "Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian" To which his response was "Really? Didn't we say all we had to with the first one? Must we go tropical?"

Personally, Beetlejuice isn't a film that I feel needs a sequel so I'm not particularly interested.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Don't really like her but she seems to be favourite of Tim Burton's despite her not wanting white males telling stories.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Don't really like her but she seems to be favourite of Tim Burton's despite her not wanting white males telling stories.
She's a flash in the pan type of actress anyway. She'll be irrelevant in 5 years when a hotter, younger actress pulls up. Might as well let her have this now.

Reactions: TGO

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ironic as that the only reason she is famous 🤔
Good grief, does she want teenage voices being told by...teenage writers?

Heh heh, be AWESOME if the WGA strike is broken because nitwit actresses lead the charge to replace adult writers with child labor :p

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Good grief, does she want teenage voices being told by...teenage writers?

Heh heh, be AWESOME if the WGA strike is broken because nitwit actresses lead the charge to replace adult writers with child labor :p
Funny you should say that...

NickFire

Ironic as that the only reason she is famous 🤔
Based only on the article, her comments and the yahoo headline seem a little out of sync to me. Her comments give me the impression she wants her generation, the women in particular, to do more. Although she makes obvious reference to older guys who already write, I read her actual comments to be more in support of her generation than rejection of the existing writers. But the headline suggests she wants less from existing writers (as opposed to more from her generation). Although I wouldn't call that click bait due to the actual comments being consistent enough with the headline, it does feel like the headline was given a good old yahoo makeover.

Basically, I think she is more pro-something than anti-something. Maybe splitting hairs, but I think there is a meaningful difference.

StueyDuck

I mean Michael Keaton is the only reason Beetlejuice is good anyway... there I said it. Form an orderly line to fight me please

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Careful, Jenna, you're dancing dangerously close to the typecast flame. You don't want to be middle aged and be stuck best known as Wednesday/Wednesday adjacent aloof goth teen. That's harder to pull off with age.

Billbofet

Hope this ends up good, but it's been a hell of a long time since Tim Burton has made anything good to me.
I think Big Fish is the last movie he made that I enjoyed, but I feel he's lost the scrappiness that made all his earlier stuff so quirky and interesting.

I still say, "Bad roof..... gooodd parking!" at least once a month.

Puscifer

Ugh...they should have cast an unknown. I'm quite sick of seeing her seemingly everywhere, and I don't seek out "entertainment news". She just has that much exposure.
True, the one thing I'll give her is that at least she calls out bad writing and keeping the show runners in check. But why? There can be multiple goth chicks

It can be good, if they don't go full Modern Audiences. I have some optimism, but that is only lent via nostalgia and who is involved.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if they jump on the third rail and get Alec Baldwin back. Or at least Geena Davis, haven't seen her in a while.

Who will be Ortega's dad? Another single mom story, or someone like Oscar Isaac? The ubiquitous Antonio Banderas? Just not Pedro Pascal, I'm a little tired of him.

LordOfChaos

*Sigh* guess I have to watch this for the plot like Scream

Last edited:
Top Bottom