• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Lin: Asian American, Harvard Grad... NBA great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, if you guys are going to consider this racism, we're going to have to actually make a subsection called "good racism." Your choice :p

Certainly isn't harmful racism.

Sealda

Banned
Will that satisfy Ninja Scooter and Basketball Reasons or does Lin need to win a Nobel Prize before people can call him "smart" without NBAGAF jumping all over them?

I wonder why they're so defensive about this topic, it almost seems like they're overcompensating. Of course NBA is the thread that, like with friendless Kobe and "Black Mamba", gave themselves the nickname "BestGAF"...

Imagine Lin actually winning a nobel prize in Physics. Outside of the court, he has been doing a bit of Physics as a hobby.

JoeFu

Banned
And he's played in games other than those 4. Why doesn't anyone talk about those games? He's good but he's not the greatness people are elevating him to, he has a lot to get better about.

Because he's only ever played in garbage time? The only game before this one where he had significant minutes was against the Rockets where he had like 9 points and 6 assists in 20 minutes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Will that satisfy Ninja Scooter and Basketball Reasons or does Lin need to win a Nobel Prize before people can call him "smart" without NBAGAF jumping all over them?

I wonder why they're so defensive about this topic, it almost seems like they're overcompensating. Of course NBA is the thread that, like with friendless Kobe and "Black Mamba", gave themselves the nickname "BestGAF"...

Sounds like he is intelligent because he is intelligent. Don't know if the "is it because he is Asian?" piece comes into it.

DrMungo

This is the thing. He's on a tear, and people are excited for him. Players can ride a streak all the time, but he also gets assists, about 4-5 rebounds, a few steals as well. No one is seriously saying he is going to be the MVP or that he's another Isiah Thomas or Chris Paul. I think he can be a solid starter or at least on a rotation. He is a legit PG, and as an Asian American, just that alone makes me excited.

He obviously has been good for awhile, being California player of the year from high school and a Wooden finalist in college. Yet people still doubt him. I'm sure any Asians who play pick up ball and get picked last the majority of the time got a taste of that feeling. And so it is sweet vindication that he's been schooling All Star PGs, and #1 draft picks.

And seriously, people are now hating on his 3.1 GPA and econ degree? Don't be like Floyd Mayweather with crazy off-base hatin'.

http://jeffincredible85.hubpages.com/hub/Floyd-Mayweather-Accused-Jeremy-Lin-of-Steroid-Use

If he flames out and is sent to the D-League by the end of the season, I'll happily eat crow, but I think he's a legit PG.

numble

Compared to doctors? I don't think that's true. And im pretty sure a historian getting a degree from havard would have better job opportunities than normal.
There are no doctors graduating with a bachelor's degree anywhere in the US.

And he's played in games other than those 4. Why doesn't anyone talk about those games? He's good but he's not the greatness people are elevating him to, he has a lot to get better about.

flavor of the month.

I wish him great success, though. NYC needs someone or something to talk about. Carmelo and Amari have been...boring, to be quite frank. Lin will be a genuinely interesting storyline until...well probably until the end of the season. Even if his production drops by half, the crowd will go nuts when he comes into games at MSG.

Plus, playing in that Dantoni system...he'll have plenty of looks. And he creates a lot of his own shots, which is a big deal and is rare. The question is how will he play with Carmelo. Or, how Carmelo will play with Knicks 2.0 that got significantly better in his absence.

This is the thing. He's on a tear, and people are excited for him. Players can ride a streak all the time, but he also gets assists, about 4-5 rebounds, a few steals as well. No one is seriously saying he is going to be the MVP or that he's another Isiah Thomas or Chris Paul. I think he can be a solid starter or at least on a rotation. He is a legit PG, and as an Asian American, just that alone makes me excited.
Unfortunately, this thread started off wrong. With the very title, "great". It's one thing to be "the next big thing", or a "budding star"...but an "NBA great" is a very specific class of player. It's rare air reserved for the top 100 players the game has ever seen.

So asking if guy on a nice 4-5-game run in his rookie season may be destined to become an "NBA great" sets him and the thread up for biting off much more than can be reasonably asked or chewed.

He needs the rest of the season just to see if he can develop the consistency needed to even be a starter in the NBA. Much less a "star". and we'd need a decade of work to decide if he is on a short list to become a "great".

No one was talking about a bachelor's degree buddy.

you were talking about undergraduate majors. the link about earnings was about undergraduate degree-holders.

Shurs

Because he's only ever played in garbage time? The only game before this one where he had significant minutes was against the Rockets where he had like 9 points and 6 assists in 20 minutes.

This is, what, his third or fourth team?

I'm surprised his previous coaches didn't see enough talent in practice to keep him.

Emwitus

What is an economist major?

Why are you comparing job prospects of a bachelor degree in economics with jobs that require multiple degrees?

You can major in something at any level. And the conversation was for job prospects? Even a phd level economist would still not have the same out look as a doctor. Nurses still have better security i might add. EDIT: And are paid well.

numble

You can major in something at any level. And the conversation was for job prospects? Even a phd level economist would still not have the same out look as a doctor. Nurses still have better security i might add. EDIT: And are paid well.

I think the idea of a "major" is usually relegated to bachelors and below. Because you are believed to be taking other interdisciplinary courses, and you're "majoring" in one specific field. I don't ever see people use the word "major" in masters or doctorate programs--specialty, perhaps, but not major.

DrMungo

Unfortunately, this thread started off wrong. With the very title, "great". It's one thing to be "the next big thing", or a "budding star"...but an "NBA great" is a very specific class of player. It's rare air reserved for the top 100 players the game has ever seen.

So asking if guy on a nice 4-5-game run in his rookie season may be destined to become an "NBA great" sets him and the thread up for biting off much more than can be reasonably asked or chewed.

He needs the rest of the season just to see if he can develop the consistency needed to even be a starter in the NBA. Much less a "star". and we'd need a decade of work to decide if he is on a short list to become a "great".

I agree, if anyone is trumpeting this guy as an MVP they need to chill the eff out.
His left hand needs work, he needs to get his legs if he is to be a regular starter, because MDA plays his teams like NBA2k with the fatigue turned off (Amare's poor knees!). But at the same time its crazy that this streak is going on with Lin, Fields, Novak, Jeffries, Walker getting major minutes and their contracts are all less than $1 million.

I will slightly disagree in that he's a little more than a flavor of the month, at least with us Asians. Even if he flames out spectacularly, at least I will remember the 5 game or so stretch where an Asian American PG was the talk of the league. When I was in high school, I seriously never thought I'd see an Asian in the league. Now we see Yao's career and Lin budding into a legit PG. There's nothing wrong with being prideful of your race.

Emwitus

I think the idea of a "major" is usually relegated to bachelors and below. Because you are believed to be taking other interdisciplinary courses, and you're "majoring" in one specific field. I don't ever see people use the word "major" in masters or doctorate programs--specialty, perhaps, but not major.

Google graduate majors. You can major in any thing, What do you think a specialty is? If i'm in a graduate chemistry course i can major in analytical chemisty and minor in pharmaceutics, if in psychology i can major in Public health and minor in education.

EDIT: Anyway, i might derail this topic so let get back to LIN mania. I've been skeptical about him lately in nba-gaf but the way he performed against LA put to rest some of my doubts. Pretty good story all in all. I wan't to see how he performs against teams like heat and chicago.

I agree, if anyone is trumpeting this guy as an MVP they need to chill the eff out.
His left hand needs work, he needs to get his legs if he is to be a regular starter, because MDA plays his teams like NBA2k with the fatigue turned off (Amare's poor knees!). But at the same time its crazy that this streak is going on with Lin, Fields, Novak, Jeffries, Walker getting major minutes and their contracts are all less than $1 million.

I will slightly disagree in that he's a little more than a flavor of the month, at least with us Asians. Even if he flames out spectacularly, at least I will remember the 5 game or so stretch where an Asian American PG was the talk of the league. When I was in high school, I seriously never thought I'd see an Asian in the league. Now we see Yao's career and Lin budding into a legit PG. There's nothing wrong with being prideful of your race.
Genuine excitement from Asian fans, sure. Flavor of the month for everyone else.

And Yao and Lin are certainly not the only recent Asian players who've done well.

ezrarh

I'm surprised his previous coaches didn't see enough talent in practice to keep him.

I've been following him since he was playing for Harvard but he's been overlooked for a while now. He lead his high school team to a state title and was named first-team all state but he couldn't get a normal Division I scholarship. Coaches have regretted not recruiting him after seeing what he did at Harvard.

I think what's happening to the last week is great for him but I never expected him to be doing this well. It'd be foolish to suddenly claim he's going to be an all star or MVP at this point in time but I'm enjoying the ride while I can.

Alas, Lin won't be the first Asian to have an NBA championship ring.

I hope Lin gets his eventually (hopefully not in NY though, come at me h3ro.)

JoeFu

Banned

Daryl Morey (Rockets GM) has already admitted to screwing up his handling of Lin. Donnie Nelson (Mavs GM) was the guy who game him a shot in the first place. The Mavs really liked him, but they were kinda "stacked" at the pg, if you call JJ Barea and Jason Kidd at the time stacked. They didn't offer him the 2 years that Golden State did. Right now he's in a perfect environment though, D'Antoni's system is making him look like Nash out there. Remember Nash would sometime have the bad kind of trouble doubles also with 10 or more turnovers.

I don't think he was ever released because he sucks or something. He was a cheap expendable unproven point guard that his two previous teams released to sign or try to sign someone else.

Zaptruder

Banned
On one hand, one should want to be cautiously optimistic just as a rational way of protecting oneself from overburgeoning expectations.

On the other hand... reading through some of the articles posted, I'm genuinely excited and really hope this one pulls through as legit.

Like... I haven't cared too much about b.ball for a long time, not since MJ retired... the first time.

It would be particularly awesome if he turned out to be as awesome as his initial entrance suggested. I.e. a possible GOAT! It would also make basket ball the most watched sport in the world again. All those asians man.

charsace

Can you explain in more detail? Assume I'm an idiot (Because I certainly am in this instance).

The talent pool in college is no where near as good because there are so many colleges. Even the best colleges have at most 5 guys that could make an NBA team. By making an NBA team I mean a guy that could possibly be an end of the bench player. College also has zone defense with no illegal defense. Because of these things good coaching is very important. Duke in the mid 90's up until they got Elton Brand didn't have a lot of talent. I think Coach K was sick at one point, I can't remember. The point is that they still were a top team even though they had a really short pg in Woj leading them and lacked athletic players. Most teams are usually very team focused instead of player focused, unless they have a guy who is NBA ready and is a head of the curve. Kevin Durant and Michael Beasley for example were to guys that were obvious NBA players that were a head of the learning curve in college so they were isolation scores that could tear up the college zone.

In the NBA the talent pool is much better. Instead of 100's of teams like in college you have 30 teams. Players in the NBA are too good to be stopped by zone defense for a full game. Even the medicore players in the NBA can drive against zones cause problems. So players that fit certain roles become more important. Man to man defenders and tall players that know what they are doing become more important on defense because teams need to combat all the isolation players.

Kamek

Genuine excitement from Asian fans, sure. Flavor of the month for everyone else.

Wrong. Many fans I know, myself included, aren't Asian or Asian-American at all and they love the kid's story. Everyone loves an underdog. I'm sure fans of the Knicks and New Yorkers in general aren't going to see this kid as a flavor of the month and, as a New Yorker this kid has the entire city on fire, making Knicks basketball exciting to watch again for the first time in a long time, and bringing an excitement to the city that we haven't had in the sport in a while.

"As soon as they come off vacation, They’re going to cook that little yellow chump. They ain’t worried about that. So they ain’t gotta worry about playing against a midget. Once they kick the midget ass, I don’t want you all to jump on their dick. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. … Once they stomp the midget, They’ll make that mother f—– make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice".

The fuck.

Zaptruder

Banned
D'Antoni will never get a ring. He is a regular season coach, not a playoff coach.

... assuming this means that Lin can't play in the playoffs because of that, why would that stop him from switching teams/coaches at a later stage in his career?

He's saying that the dude will never get a championship ring, which is to strongly imply that he's just another average or mediocre player (because even as a very good player, he'd stand a good chance of getting onto a championship team).

So at what point are you going to give the guy the benefit of a doubt? Would you eat a serving of crow over this haterade?
LOL. there's avast chasm between "hater" and "I acknowledge him as an NBA star". It's not a one or the other proposition. can you understand that? Your commentary suggests I don't like the kid, when I've offered no comment to that end [1] [2]. No, I just apply to him the same expectations I apply to anyone who wants to start or that could be a "budding star" and am not interested in crowning him before we have a full body of work with which to assess where he is and where he can or can't go.

Like any player, he needs to show he can be consistent in order to be a starter: a hand full of games does not prove that. We need to see how he responds to adversity: He hasn't had to deal with that yet. We need to see how long his conditioning can carry him: A career of bench-warming to this point doesn't really prepare someone for the rigors of playing a lot of minutes as a starter. He has plenty to prove. Whether either of us hopes he does or not has no impact or bearing on his future success or failure. He'll have to go out there night in and night out and prove that he deserves the title "starter". Then he'll have to prove with all of those minutes that he's a "budding star".

Take baby steps. and NBA season is a marathon, not a sprint. They won't be handing out trophies at the end of February, though he may win a nice Player of the Week award. :)

Because Asians have gotten NBA rings before? Is that concept difficult to visualize for you?
no, it's just an irrelevant point to make and completely out of the blue, so the point itself is questioned. what was the relevance to any discussion currently going on in this thread? Oh, none? Right.

Wrong. Many fans I know, myself included, aren't Asian or Asian-American at all and they love the kid's story. Everyone loves an underdog. I'm sure fans of the Knicks and New Yorkers in general aren't going to see this kid as a flavor of the month and, as a New Yorker this kid has the entire city on fire, making Knicks basketball exciting to watch again for the first time in a long time, and bringing an excitement to the city that we haven't had in the sport in a while.
lol. he's the flavor of the month. there's nothing else you can call this level of excitement for a player who's only had a couple of good games. there are no shortage of underdog stories in the NBA and sports in general.

Maybe he'll be the flavor of the next few months for NYC.

and lol at the hyperbole.

Mu9hk.jpg

Someone buy this man a tongue scraper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom