• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Parish: Where do Gamers Draw the Line Between Creators and Creations?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I can draw an uneasy line at activity. Card actively campaigning against gay rights? Okay, that's not happening... But Fish simply being a massive asshole? I can live with that in the same way that I can live with buying EDGE knowing that Leigh Alexander probably gets a paycheck out of it. It's relatively harmless.

If he starts a 'Japan Sucks' campaign, however, all bets are off.

A writer has far more room to weave in objectionable themes than a composer or gameplay designer, and I'm a lot more likely to steer clear of iffy writers like Card.

Good news for you: Card didn't work on the game, he just licenses the rights to write books about the IP. I don't think he benefits financially from you buying Shadow Complex (which is a good game btw).

The person who wrote Shadow Complex is Peter David. Look him up. He's only a few pro-gay notches below Ian McKellan.

Other thing: Inafune: pissed at his old bosses and telling them they suck. Fish: pissed at some random Japanese guy coming to an indie games panel and telling him he sucks.

Holy paraphrasing Batman! From the way people retell this event, you'd think that Fish made no points to clarify what he meant, and that the Japanese guy left with tears in his eyes holding a puppy (also crying). Just because he doesn't think much of current Japanese games (I'm sure with exceptions), doesn't mean he was personally attacking the guy who asked the question. I honestly think a lot of people misconstrue the tone of what was said.

I won't support creators when they blatantly insult their customers (telling them "suck my dick", etc)

I also won't support misogynistic games or creators.

MasLegio

Banned
I won't support creators when they blatantly insult their customers (telling them "suck my dick", etc)

I also won't support misogynistic games or creators.

telling an "idiot" that insulted you or were behaving aggressively towards you to "suck my dick" is not insulting every other customer that bought the game (that had not yet been released)

Top Bottom