• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeuxvideo.com's 10 Most Memorable Endings and 10 Most Disappointing Endings

Yagharek

I still dont see how braid has anything even remotely to do with atomic bombs. Smells of pretentiousness of the highest order to me.

ArjanN

Except we got a follow up to it unlike say Shenmue 2. Yeah cliff hangers can be frustrating but if the sequel gives us a satisfying ending then the original cliff hanger can be forgiven. Truly disappointing endings are ones that don't resolve anything and never get a follow up.

Depends if you look at them as seperate games or an entire series.

IMO even if you have a story spanning multiple games, you have to have a satisfying ending to the current game. If only because video game sequels can take very long to come out. (or never come out even)

In the context of a single game Shenmue II's ending is much better than Soul Reaver 1's ending.

Oh, and MGS2 ending was dissapointing to most people at the time. Sure you can appreciate how postmodern it is (especailly in hindsight) but taken at face value it's just a convoluted mess.

I still dont see how braid has anything even remotely to do with atomic bombs. Smells of pretentiousness of the highest order to me.

It might be pretentious but it's definately there.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All of Nier's endings are astonishing in one way or another.

Ending B is devastating, and C/D is pure batshit-insane genius.

Since I've hit the character limit in the OP, here's are the final two reviews:

9) Super Mario Bros 2

Yes, you're probably wondering what Mario is doing in that list. The plumber is nice indeed, but with his scenarios worthy of a child's tale, he never really astonish us with the conclusions of his stories. Can one really fail an ending when the audience doesn't expect anything from it? Well, yes, and Super Mario Bros. 2 assumed the task. As you know, this episode designed for the West was in fact a 'Mario-ing' of a game made available in Japan as Doki Doki Panic. As a result, Nintendo, who seemingly cared very much about keeping the plumber's universe asked themselves how they could explain the absence of the usual setting and enemies... In a moment of originality which marked forever the history of video games, if not cinema and all other forms of art, they thought they'd conclude by saying it was all a dream! Yes, yes, the seven worls you've just gone throug, your final victory against Wart, none of this existed at all! Those events only happened in Mario's dreams, as he slept, old-style, while snoring like an engine. S-U-P-E-R!​

Wait

I thought it was a Dream World and not just a dream in totality. Like, everyone was sharing the dream to defeat the evil king Wart.

Lords of Shadow's ending was one of the most WTF-moments in gaming for me. The last encounter of the game was totally forced (the villain isn't present at all through the entire game, Star Fox Adventures style), and there is no sense of transition from Gabriel the hero to Gabriel the Vampire. You don't even find out how he becomes a vampire unless you download the DLC ending. They don[t tell you how Zobek survived. It's bullshit. It's not clever, it's bullshit. It's not so much an ending as it is an announcement trailer for LoS2.

Amazing? "Just kidding, it was all just a dream" was played out by the time that game was brand new.

It was amazing because of the image of Mario sleeping. It was so huge and well animated for the time, like a cartoon. It really stuck out in the NES days.

RooMHM

Shadow of the Colossus
You can't deny it, Shadow of the Colossus is a divinely touching work, with multiple meanings.
A classic moment which has shocked many people and has marked the history of video games forever.
I do deny it. And the ending, hahaha, no.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What was that one PSX JRPG where the screen just faded to grayscale with the words GAME OVER as you dealt the final blow to the boss? Like it was still in the battle screen even.

French GAF, are we really going to post jeuxvideo.com shit here? And a list to boot? Shame on you Computer, you create better threads usually.
I'm not a fan of them personally, but they're the biggest French videogame news website, like it or not, so it's always interesting to know what they think (because, as a big media, what they think can influence gamers or the industry) and, if people think their list is bullshit, then feel free to do so in this thread. People post bullshit from IGN or Michael Pachter all the time and that never seemed to be a problem. Plus, I translated the list because I could and I don't know if anyone else would have done it so it might as well be me.

HylianTom

Banned
The Wind Waker was my favorite ending. I can't get through it without reflecting on how Ganon sees things, and it's a struggle to get through it without tearing-up a bit. Quite an emotional ending, and seeing the King at the end is still haunting.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oddly enough, Ocarina of Time's ending
is a bit too...I guess, sad? I figured after all the Hero of Time went through, it'd be a genuine happy ending. You could say it kinda is, but it clearly is not for the Hero of Time. So I guess I could say I didn't really care much for the ending at the time.

Remember the ending to Boarderlands?

If I hadn't already read that the ending was terrible I would have been massively disappointed.

Replace Super Mario Bros 2 with Mass Effect 3 and you've got yourself a list

On another note, The only games on that list I've played are Halo 2 and Mario 2

It was amazing because of the image of Mario sleeping. It was so huge and well animated for the time, like a cartoon. It really stuck out in the NES days.

Yeah, go back to the very very first time you saw really nice FMV in a video game. That's what it felt like.

My mind was blown because the game had Elm Street rules: If you win, it was just a dream. But if you die in the dream, you're just dead.

My love for the ending is filtered by my being pretty young when I played it, but it absolutely doesn't deserve to be on a "worst" list of anything.

drspeedy

more like Most disappointing list

Most memorable endings for me (in no particular order):

Metroid (Samus is a chick?!)
Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening

Amazing still to this day... time will never erase the memory of my jaw hitting the floor for both of these. LA is quite moving and melancholy, not something really done well before it.

Top Bottom