• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden "Avowed In A Pretty Good State. Expect Release Q1/Q2 2023. Stronger Game Than Outer Worlds"

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
"Stronger Game Than Outer Worlds. . ."

. . . that's some low hanging fruit. Easily the weakest of anything OBSIDIAN has put out recently. Hard to go from PoE/Tyranny to the storytelling and world building in TOW.

how can he say its a stronger game than outerworlds when its over a year out?

We've seen nothing of this game, hard to be excited or care - it's one of the games i'm looking forward to but I have a hard time believing jez.

I'd imagine they're communicating feelings from people who work on the game who spoke on the condition on anonymity.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I am currently playing Outer worlds atm and I find it pretty good actually. I was really expecting something terrible due to the very negative word of mouth the game has, but the story and characters are sufficiently interesting to propel you forward despite the game shortcomings.

I even bought the 2 DLCs on a whim, hope they are good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I am currently playing Outer worlds atm and I find it pretty good actually. I was really expecting something terrible due to the very negative word of mouth the game has, but the story and characters are sufficiently interesting to propel you forward despite the game shortcomings.

I even bought the 2 DLCs on a whim, hope they are good.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed OW as well.

It works well if you play it like a spiritual sequel to Fallout: New Vegas.

kingfey

Banned

We've seen nothing of this game, hard to be excited or care - it's one of the games i'm looking forward to but I have a hard time believing jez.
He has insider connections.

People like him, have connections in the industry.
If a company likes you, they will show you preview of their products.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have very tepid hype for this if it's first person only. But I'll of course give it a shot. Would be great if you could switch, like in Bethesda games.

But yeah, I have literally nothing to go off of on this. Still need to play Pillars of Eternity to get ready.

Leyasu

Banned
I won't lie, I am slightly disappointed that it is 1st person only. Nevertheless, I will be there day one

Yeah it would be a lot better if Microsoft and Obsidian, y'know, just did an official gameplay & story demonstration of it? Like a State of Play or Direct type show?

I genuinely don't know why this is so difficult for them to do, meanwhile we just keep getting second-hand accounts from people who may or may not even know what they're talking about 🤷‍♂️

Because he saw footage from Avowed...

Yes. HE's seen it, but WE haven't, so at this point it almost comes off as too much of a tease. If it's in such a state they can show him, then is he so hard to impress that a public gameplay demonstration would blow us away, or is he so easily impressed that he'd oversell its current state therefore nothing yet to show for it to the wider public?

It has to be one of the other, but if it's the former you'd think Microsoft would follow up on that "we want to do a Direct-style show" talk with Avowed as their first real example. They don't have to keep waiting for E3 for everything or shove everything into something like that May 2020 showcase (or goodness forbid, the awfully-formatted Twitch indies shows).

Last edited:

Teslerum

What if it’s from the developers of Fallout New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity 1&2 and KotoR 2?

Obsidian is one of the best CRPG devs today.
Well, technically not entirley. Directed by Carry Patel and lead written by Kate Dollarhyde. Both post-Pillars additions.

Personally my least favourite duo at Obsidian. But YMMV and both took over midway through development after a shakeup, so who knows how it will turn out? Might be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Ozriel

M$FT

Because Outer Worlds was made in a (relative) hurry, with a small budget.

It’s not hard to say that an AAA game with a much bigger budget and sufficient development time should be the bigger title.

How can one be excited / anticipating for a game that doesn't even have gameplay shown off yet?

You mean like how you were excited about Insomniac’s upcoming Wolverine game, with zero gameplay shown?

reksveks

or goodness forbid, the awfully-formatted Twitch indies shows
I like those streams, actually enjoy them as background shows whilst working. I don't think MS knows how to position those but they are alot better than the Future Game Show and that tier of show. Not as good as Annapurna's showing though.

But yeah, I do think they need to think about how they present their line up, it's very feast or famine with them although it's partial due to their release calendar has looked like that for a while.

Chukhopops

Well, technically not entirley. Directed by Carry Patel and lead written by Kate Dollarhyde. Both post-Pillars additions.

Personally my least favourite duo at Obsidian. But YMMV and both took over midway through development after a shakeup, so who knows how it will turn out? Might be good.
Is Naughty Dog no longer the developer of Uncharted 1-4 and TLOU now that Amy Hennig left? I get your point that some writers left over the years since 2004 but it’s still the same developer.

gow3isben

Dropped outer worlds after 5 hours

Boring as sin

I like fantasy stuff so maybe this is the one that motivates me to buy X the SeX

Last edited:

Vaelka

I just hope it's not so ultra generic.
Don't get me wrong I rly like the Baldurs Gate 3 '' demo '' and I am looking forward to the full release and I like DnD and games like Pathfinder Kingmaker.
But holy hell they almost feel like the same games sometimes, they have that same generic '' I want to be realistic and historically accurate but also not '' look.
Like I feel as if I see the same leather armor design in every one of these games ( pretty dumb concept tbh, leather armor that is ).

I want something that actually is more distinctly fantasy.

Andodalf

Banned
I just hope it's not so ultra generic.
Don't get me wrong I rly like the Baldurs Gate 3 '' demo '' and I am looking forward to the full release and I like DnD and games like Pathfinder Kingmaker.
But holy hell they almost feel like the same games sometimes, they have that same generic '' I want to be realistic and historically accurate but also not '' look.
Like I feel as if I see the same leather armor design in every one of these games ( pretty dumb concept tbh, leather armor that is ).

I want something that actually is more distinctly fantasy.
This is not the first game in this franchise. You can already know what this setting is like.

mejin

I'm not the one you quoted, but I'd say you can't trust a 100% people like that. Hyperboles and even lies should be expected. Jez Corden has a history of bullshits, so always good to have that grain of salt view in anything he says.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Honest question, does MS have anything big planned for Xbox before Starfield?
I kinda take the ”leaks” as odd marketing when they have nothing else to show, everything we hear rumours about is 2023 or later.
Big? Nothing announced.

They’ll get Deathloop on Game Pass (whoopee). Redfall is another game coming from Arkane. Forza Motorsport might be coming for this year, but I’m guessing that’s a q4 game (if it comes).

The ones I’m interested in (Perfect Dark, Avowed and Everwild) all seem like 23/24 games and TES 6 even later.

The pipeline doesn’t seem great for this year and without Starfield they’d be up shit creek.

kingfey

Banned
Honest question, does MS have anything big planned for Xbox before Starfield?
I kinda take the ”leaks” as odd marketing when they have nothing else to show, everything we hear rumours about is 2023 or later.
It was hell blade 2, but it had to be delayed for UE5.

Top Bottom