• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: All future cross-gen titles, including God of War and GT7, will be $10 upgrades from PS4 to PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose92

[Membe
Previously on the Jim Ryan show
CzD1leF_d.webp

Today:

fTCCwOe.png

To be honest it is a bit greedy yea i get it it takes money to make really good games, but these kind of moves make people complain about sony when Microsoft makes it so buy 1 game and play on any supported device.

Last edited:

breakfuss

I wasn’t aware there was a PS5 version. It was only supposed to be a patch.

Edit: my b, thought this was about the original HD that just got the 60fps patch.

Last edited:

reksveks

Trying to figure the motive, is it to push digital sales? Revenue loss doesn't seem that likely?

Being real cynically, you might get additional rev from users whom ended buying the game twice.

I am not particularly fussed though

I wasn’t aware there was a PS5 version. It was only supposed to be a patch.
Nope, they are making two different versions of the game. Similar to what they did with Spiderman miles morales.
There is a $10 difference between versions.

PS4 version: $60
PS5 version: $70

So you indeed need to pay $10 for the upgrade if not everybody will buy the PS4 version instead the PS5 one.
Finally someone with common sense

If they make the PS4 version a free upgrade than people will just buy the PS4 edition which is $10 cheaper instead of the PS5 version to get a “free upgrade”.

What Sony should have done here is make cross gen games $60 across the board because honestly besides 60 fps, 4K and haptics from the dualsense I don’t think the PS5 edition will be that much different from the PS4 edition.

Last edited:
Sony will continue to do this because their fans will defend anything they do. After they tried to paint the terrible GOT upgrade path as a positive I realized with a company who has as many loyal fans as sony, its a losing battle to even try to jump into the short term by pointing out bad business practices. They think because they make good games it gives them a pass to have shitty practices.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
EDIT: me and several others misread, it doesn't actually say this here, it's just worded carefully to sound like it.

As much as I don't care, they did say it was going to be free and now they're walking back on it.

Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

Last edited:

elliot5

There is a $10 difference between versions.

PS4 version: $60
PS5 version: $70

So you indeed need to pay $10 for the upgrade if not everybody will buy the PS4 version instead the PS5 one.
The problem is there is no $10 upgrade option unlike the Director's Cut games and so on where you can upgrade your existing license. If you buy the PS4 disc you are fucked and there's no way to play the PS5 edition unless you buy a $70 PS5 version (in addition to your $60) or bite the bullet and buy the digital deluxe at $80 to be 'future proof'.

If you read carefully, it is talking about LAUNCH titles like Sackboy and Miles. Horizon will launch on PS4... but it is not a launch title.

sainraja

Nope, they are making two different versions of the game. Similar to what they did with Spiderman miles morales.

Finally someone with common sense

If they make the PS4 version a free upgrade than people will just buy the PS4 edition which is $10 cheaper instead of the PS5 version to get a “free upgrade”.

What Sony should have done here is make cross gen games $60 cross the board because honestly besides 60 fps, 4K and haptics from the dualsense I don’t think the PS5 will be that much different.
They should have an upgrade path for those who go with the standard versions and they can charge $10 if they really want people to pay. They could have just made the upgrade free for those who pre-order as a benefit.

Banjo64

cumsessed

:goog_unsure:

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

sainraja

The problem is there is no $10 upgrade option unlike the Director's Cut games and so on where you can upgrade your existing license. If you buy the PS4 disc you are fucked and there's no way to play the PS5 edition unless you buy a $70 PS5 version (in addition to your $60) or bite the bullet and buy the digital deluxe at $80 to be 'future proof'.

If you read carefully, it is talking about LAUNCH titles like Sackboy and Miles. Horizon will launch on PS4... but it is not a launch title.
Ah good catch. But they should really just offer free upgrades for people that pre-order or offer an upgrade path.

jm89

Not suprised one bit. Personally i've been opting for ps4 versions of games as they are generally cheaper and get the free ps5 upgrade.

Oh well won't be getting it at launch.

Last gen anti consumer bullshit is what humbled MS, how much of a dumbass do you have to be to consistently make anti consumer moves?

Last edited:

elliot5

This feels like a marketing move from Sony where people are bitching about $10 upgrade so they're like "Well we'll just take away the option to upgrade and make you pay $20 extra instead!" so then the $10 doesn't seem too bad in hindsight, they bring it back, and the people are satisfied..

Bryank75

Banned
:goog_unsure:

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

They deserve to be sued TBH.

skit_data

As much as I don't care, they did say it was going to be free and now they're walking back on it.

Exactly, I have accepted the $70 next gen price and I even found the GoT DC upgrade path excusable to some extent but this I deem pretty much unacceptable. They explicitly stated it would be free and then changed it. That’s bad.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Isn’t it the same with Ghost of Tsushima?
Nope. I honestly think casual gamers are not going to be able to follow this constantly shifting upgrade path. It was different for Spider Man, different for Ghost of Tsushima, different again for Horizon.

My older brother is a casual gamer but still games a lot, and I honestly am not sure he'd catch that there is no path on this. He doesn't have a PS5 yet, and is looking forward to this game.

What a terrible policy.

ethomaz

Banned

If there is no $10 upgrade option then it is indeed bad but we need to wait... the $10 upgrade option usually get online when the game launch.
It makes no difference to me but I hope it has that option for PS4 users than yet doesn't have a PS5.

Last edited:
Also the regular ps5 version doesn’t give the PS4 version.

People were super pissed when madden did that, so I’m sure they’ll go to war over this too, right?
This game is a different case than Madden. Some people can’t get next gen consoles so people wanted the previous gen editions to still play their friends online who don’t have next gen consoles.

Horizon isn’t a online game so it might not get the same backlash.

elliot5

If there is no $10 upgrade option then it is indeed bad but we need to wait... the $10 upgrade option usually get online when the game launch.
It makes no difference to me but I hope it has that option for PS4 users than yet doesn't have a PS5.
I mean, the FAQ question is literally "Can I upgrade from PS4 to PS5?" and the answer is no, buy the digital deluxe edition if you want both. I wouldn't be surprised if they allow a $10 upgrade for the base edition and its just not present yet, but the language as it stands is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom