• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

I think people are associating you stating a concern as you saying "nintendo is going to fail with this because of said concern." Why anyone would think you are pointing in that direction, I have no idea...outside of "neogaf dude".

I wouldn't say he thinks it will fail, but I used the examples I did to indicate opinions of pre-release kit, regardless of what the opinion conveys, trend towards being totally bullshit 90% of the time.

Besides, to indicate that there would be confusion and there being a negative impact associated with it kind of means he'd HAVE to be talking about it not selling because of it, otherwise, what other problem could he possibly be referring to?

Bgamer90

Banned
People thought the arguments made to back the statements I've shown were completely sound, too. Some even went to great lengths (multiple-paged articles in the press and multi-paragraph posts on message boards including GAF) to explain how things pointed that way.

I wasn't at GAF at the time, but I've been in threads of similar topics with most of the threads being "flame war" type of stuff.

Confusion regarding the 3DS had more to do with the fact that Nintendo had done several DS revisions to lead people to the assumption that 3DS was another mere revision.

True but there has been many "Wii ____" accessories in the past and therefore I see the possible confusion as being a bit similar.

....ability to be taken seriously destroyed.

Yes since what's being stated in here is "fanboy muck" instead of possible concerns.

:|

Keep those one sentence replies coming (instead of actually replying to what I said)!

As a side note: This happened with the Wii as well. If I remember correctly the people from 1UP Yours (specifically Luke) were convinced the Wii remote was just a GameCube peripheral even after the launch and were adamant no one would buy it. (Note: The previous comment was made in jest)

See I would never say that. The Wii and Gamecube look different and had completely different ways to play games.

In terms of the Wii and Wii U though, the name of the latter sounds similar to previous Wii accessories, the system itself looks the same, Nintendo focuses more on the GamePad Tablet than the system itself, etc.

JazzmanZ

I think people are associating you stating a concern as you saying "nintendo is going to fail with this because of said concern." Why anyone would think you are pointing in that direction, I have no idea...outside of "neogaf dude".

Don't you know? Neogaf eats 'negative Nintendo press' like candy, while positive press barely gets 5 pages.

Bgamer90

Banned

You are probably right. Guess people are so use to "doom & gloom" threads here that they put this one in with the others.

Don't you know? Neogaf eats 'negative Nintendo press' like candy, while positive press barely gets 5 pages.

Yeah. Confirmation bias is strong on any gaming board to be fair though. We all like to read news that confirms our beliefs and hate/dislike is much stronger than fandom to illicit a response on the internet.

Have we explored the idea that CNN and Jimmy Fallon are part of one big conspiracy yet? Maybe they're secret Sony fanboys. Did anyone consider that?

At this point, I hope the WiiU sells ten billion copies so I don't have to read brain-leakingly dumb damage control anymore.

Card Boy

Banned
Have we explored the idea that CNN and Jimmy Fallon are part of one big conspiracy yet? Maybe they're secret Sony fanboys. Did anyone consider that?

At this point, I hope the WiiU sells ten billion copies so I don't have to read brain-leakingly dumb damage control anymore.

Why does negative Nintendo press even bother you? Do you have stocks in the company or you just another 'fanboy'? I own a PS3 and i hate the dam system i don't even care if anyone shits on Sony as Im a PC gamer.

Mastperf

Thread destroyed and....

....ability to be taken seriously destroyed.
Why do things have to be one extreme or the other? After E3 last year, some people were confused on whether or not the WiiU was a new Wii controller. Flash forward a year later and some are still confused. Noone said the WiiU will fail or anything so I'm not sure how past internet predictions are relevant. The bottom line is that Nintendo hasn't done enough to prevent this from happening and they need to get on it. It's not about Nintendo hate or anything that extreme. I personally believe they will have it taken care of before launch but this is a discussion board and we like to discuss things.
That's to be expected on a forum like this. Nintendo didn't exactly cater to this crowd with the Wii so they've fallen out of favor with them. Having a console collecting dust while you wait for new games will do that.

Terrell

True but there has been many "Wii ____" accessories in the past and therefore I see the possible confusion as being a bit similar.

The difference being that Nintendo themselves marketed them as accessories and, more often than not, bundled them with the games that used them. DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL were all marketed as "new" handheld devices. There is a clear distinction there.

Wii was not marketed as just a controller, it was marketed as a total hardware package, including new system features not present in its predecessor. I don't imagine that will change this time around. So at this point, all that anyone is taking issue with or pointing out is that concerns or criticisms prior to a product launch almost never pan out because the product maker ensures that they are addressed prior to release.

JazzmanZ

Yes Sony has secretly enlisted CNN and Jimmy Fallon to do a 'war on Nintendo'

they are also lizard people who froze walt disneys head and are in lineage with Aliens, shapeshifters and werewolves.

mulder07.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Top level ownership of CNN and NBC are Time Warner and Comcast respectfully. It's obvious the big cable companies in the US are trying to destroy Nintendo.

Bgamer90

Banned
The difference being that Nintendo themselves marketed them as accessories and, more often than not, bundled them with the games that used them. DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL were all marketed as "new" handheld devices. There is a clear distinction there.

The distinction though (so far) with the Wii is mainly being put on the Tablet. They need to show off the console itself more imo.

Wii was not marketed as just a controller, it was marketed as a total hardware package, including new system features not present in its predecessor.

Exactly!

I don't imagine that will change this time around. So at this point, all that anyone is taking issue with or pointing out is that concerns or criticisms prior to a product launch almost never pan out because the product maker ensures that they are addressed prior to release.

True in most cases based on previous history but you never know. I was honestly surprised at how long it took for Nintendo to make TV ads stating that the 3DS was a DS successor (since they previously just showed games for the 3DS with the 3DS logo after).

EuroMIX

Nintendoomed!

It makes sense that Nintendo wouldn't focus too much on the system itself because, from what we've gathered, it's not like it's a powerhouse, nor the focus of the console. In the past next generation hardware would often be shown off entirely by the console itself and how many megabites/how much ram/etc it had, but for the past two generations Nintendo have focused on the controller and how it can affect gameplay instead.

I wouldn't say he thinks it will fail, but I used the examples I did to indicate opinions of pre-release kit, regardless of what the opinion conveys, trend towards being totally bullshit 90% of the time.

Besides, to indicate that there would be confusion and there being a negative impact associated with it kind of means he'd HAVE to be talking about it not selling because of it, otherwise, what other problem could he possibly be referring to?

Well, last year we talked about Nintendo and the confusion of the controller being an add-on. As dumb as it was, some outlets and reports were suggesting that very thing. How any company with a tech department can determine this was an add-on after seeing what it does, the tech demos, and Nintendo blatantly saying it is beyond me. Now a year later, we have a broadcast that will show the Wii U, and it is immediately pegged as an add-on to the Wii. This is worth noting because, well, it's been a year and the problem is still there(sadly). Confusion is bad, especially when it comes to hardware, so no matter how successful the system turns out to be, I don't think they want people to be confused about it.

Their whole motto right now is less confusion about gaming, so it should be addressed. Either way, Nintendo will laugh all the way to the bank while still creating some of the best software, so it doesn't matter too much.

Terrell

Well, last year we talked about Nintendo and the confusion of the controller being an add-on. As dumb as it was, some outlets and reports were suggesting that very thing. Now a year later, we have a broadcast that will show the Wii U, and it is immediately pegged as an add-on to the Wii. This is worth noting because, well, it's been a year and the problem is still there(sadly). Confusion is bad, especially when it comes to hardware, so no matter how successful the system turns out to be, I don't think they want people to be confused about it.

Their whole motto right now is less confusion about gaming, so it should be addressed. Either way, Nintendo will laugh all the way to the bank while still creating some of the best software, so it doesn't matter too much.

It's been a year with NO NEWS about the WiiU, as well, so it's not like there's a whole lot of marketing in that span of time that kills this notion. One way or another, though, it's a non-issue. Either Nintendo will make its marketing message clear about what the product is, just like they did with the Wii, or people will be schooled about it when they go to retail to get it. So I just see the whole thing as a non-issue and only serves to generate a false talking point in other discussions about the system that will culminate in some of the opinions I addressed about pre-retail products earlier.

masud

Banned
Again, Nintendo has run zero ads. 80% of the people that will buy the Wii U don't even know it exists right now. So if these three instances actually do indicate a problem it can be easily rectified. So easily that it doesnt even deserve mentioning. But by all means continue on...

Again, Nintendo has run zero ads. 80% of the people that will buy the Wii U don't even know it exists right now. So if these three instances actually do indicate a problem it can be easily rectified. So easily that it doesnt even deserve mentioning. But by all means continue on...

Nope. Success or failure is determined solely on how much we enjoyed their E3 press conferences. It is known.

Bgamer90

Banned

But people who actually saw the conferences were still confused by the Wii U (though most I know finally understood that it was a system); the conferences were obviously longer than 2-3 minute ads.

Like I said, they really need to advertise the system better. Maybe have an ad showing a bunch of Wii U games and how they work with the GamePad and then say something like, "...All of these experiences on this tablet are only possible with the Wii U...". Then cut to a picture showing the Wii U without the GamePad tablet.

It's been a year with NO NEWS about the WiiU, as well, so it's not like there's a whole lot of marketing in that span of time that kills this notion. One way or another, though, it's a non-issue. Either Nintendo will make its marketing message clear about what the product is, just like they did with the Wii, or people will be schooled about it when they go to retail to get it. So I just see the whole thing as a non-issue and only serves to generate a false talking point in other discussions about the system that will culminate in some of the opinions I addressed about pre-retail products earlier.

tumblr_lgqwsbEa891qfjmnk.gif

Endo Punk

Reggie held it together, explained everything and really made WiiU look more desirable compared to E3. I think the system will be a runaway success.

masud

Banned
Reggie held it together, explained everything and really made WiiU look more desirable compared to E3. I think the system will be a runaway success.

How will it be a runaway succsess if people think its a toaster? I mean I didn't hear anyone at E3 say it wasn't a toaster.

Hello there, time-traveler.

EDIT: I see you have edited your comment.
Nintendo's plan doesn't seem very long term; if that document leaked about the 720 is even half true than MS will totally dominate the next gen.

Low powered console + poor online capabilities relative to what Sony is offering let alone MS + focus on gimmick controller = I'm not seeing anything here that's going to be sustainable over a long period.

Nintendo's plan doesn't seem very long term; if that document leaked about the 720 is even half true than MS will totally dominate the next gen.

Low powered console + poor online capabilities relative to what Sony is offering let alone MS + focus on gimmick controller = I'm not seeing anything here that's going to be sustainable over a long period.

You just described the Wii...

Ryoku

I present to you the sales of the seventh generation of video-game consoles.

Honestly, it can go either way right now. Nintendo is promising to serve a much-revamped online structure (which, so far, seems to be true, to say the least), and they are also offering a console that won't be eclipsed in terms of power by either PS4 or Xbox3. Say what you will, this will not be a Wii vs PS360 case because that just can't happen at this point in time unless PS4/Xbox3 are offering unheard technology or decide to bleed even more money than they did with PS360 on power alone.

Where does that lead us? To services. Clearly, from what we've heard of rumors and speculated about, Microsoft is setting up to offer the biggest range of services through their next console. Will this take the market by storm? Quite possibly. There's also the side that people don't want to let go of their current plans, switch providers, and whatnot (yes, this is a real issue). As a result, Microsoft will be in direct competition with competing network providers (unless they got all major television providers onboard). Another issue is the audience outside of the United States. We aren't the only country, you know. How will Microsoft provide these services to foreign countries (including Canada)? We'll see. It's more complicated than a black-white scenario for Microsoft.

You just described the Wii...
Was the Wii sustainable for a long period? Nope, which is why they cut it's life cycle short relative to the two other platforms.

I imagine this thing will burn out and fizzle away even quicker, that is if it even gets started in the first place, due to the market being even more competitive.

Was the Wii sustainable for a long period? Nope, which is why they cut it's life cycle short relative to the two other platforms.

I imagine this thing will burn out and fizzle away even quicker, that is if it even gets started in the first place, due to the market being even more competitive.

It didn't need a long life cycle to beat the hell out of them. They have been profitable from the start, expanded the market, sold more than the other two and produced innovation in one swoop. Not sure what else they need to do, or why they need a few more years like the other two consoles. They've already won. Time to start another game.

Ryoku

Nintendo always goes with the five-six year plan. Have you watched their console history at all? No way in hell did Nintendo expect the Wii to span out for an entire decade.

What does this even mean? In any case, Microsoft will be in direct competition with not only Sony and Nintendo, but also against competing companies that offer similar services as the ones Microsoft apparently plans to bring out to the table. These are companies with far more "bank" than either Sony or Nintendo. If anything has trouble taking off, it's Microsoft's offerings vs the competition. Xbox fans will likely jump to the console regardless, but it's more than a video-game console at this point.

I present to you the sales of the seventh generation of video-game consoles.
Why? Are you trying to prove my point?

Look at the sales of the Wii these past few years --- they're not very good; all of the momentum it's had has long since burned out.

Look at sales of the 360, going stronger than ever and it was released a year before the Wii.

Honestly, it can go either way right now. Nintendo is promising to serve a much-revamped online structure (which, so far, seems to be true, to say the least),
Sorry, but based on what we've seen the Wii U's online infrastructure is child's play compared to what MS is doing this gen; it's going to seem like a relic when they release their next gen hardware I'm guessing.

and they are also offering a console that won't be eclipsed in terms of power by either PS4 or Xbox3. Say what you will, this will not be a Wii vs PS360 case because that just can't happen at this point in time unless PS4/Xbox3 are offering unheard technology or decide to bleed even more money than they did with PS360 on power alone.
Are you sure about that?

I'm under the impression that the Wii U's hardware is only slightly more powerful than the PS360, I have to imagine the PS4 and 720's hardware being much, much more capable.

Where does that lead us? To services. Clearly, from what we've heard of rumors and speculated about, Microsoft is setting up to offer the biggest range of services through their next console. Will this take the market by storm? Quite possibly. There's also the side that people don't want to let go of their current plans, switch providers, and whatnot (yes, this is a real issue). As a result, Microsoft will be in direct competition with competing network providers (unless they got all major television providers onboard). Another issue is the audience outside of the United States. We aren't the only country, you know. How will Microsoft provide these services to foreign countries (including Canada)? We'll see. It's more complicated than a black-white scenario for Microsoft.
Sure, Microsoft has a long road ahead of them as well—but at least they're on the right track.

AzaK

Nintendo always goes with the five-six year plan. Have you watched their console history at all? No way in hell did Nintendo expect the Wii to span out for an entire decade.

But it barely made 4 before it started to tank at a fast rate, destroying any share price it had gained and contributing to the company posting it's first loss in 30 years. The wii did a lot of good for Nintendo's profit and bringing gaming to the masses, but for share holders and gamers wanting those core western titles it was a complete failure. The Wii U should have been out 2 years ago as far as I'm concerned but Nintendo obviously needed to try and stretch the Wii out as long as possible to get the Wii U ready. They likely didn't foresee the bubble bursting.

MS on the other hand have made strides and strides, mostly on the back of core gaming and in the recent year or two Kinect. Essentially they are doing some of what the Wii did, but with HD tech, a strong online and massive western support for core gamers. I'm impressed with how they have adapted.

NOTE: I don't own a 360.

But it barely made 4 before it started to tank at a fast rate, destroying any share price it had gained and contributing to the company posting it's first loss in 30 years. The wii did a lot of good for Nintendo's profit and bringing gaming to the masses, but for share holders and gamers wanting those core western titles it was a complete failure. The Wii U should have been out 2 years ago as far as I'm concerned but Nintendo obviously needed to try and stretch the Wii out as long as possible to get the Wii U ready. They likely didn't foresee the bubble bursting.

MS on the other hand have made strides and strides, mostly on the back of core gaming and in the recent year or two Kinect. Essentially they are doing some of what the Wii did, but with HD tech, a strong online and massive western support for core gamers. I'm impressed with how they have adapted.

NOTE: I don't own a 360.
Exactly.

People can go on all about how the Wii "won" this generation because it sold the most units but honestly I feel the 360 has won. The Xbox 360 branding holds far more weight than the Wii's does today.

-MB-

Exactly.

People can go on all about how the Wii "won" this generation because it sold the most units but honestly I feel the 360 has won. The Xbox 360 branding holds far more weight than the Wii's does today.

Only in english speaking nations sure.

Vinci

Danish

Meanwhile, Nintendo has been in this business longer than anyone else, so... something they're doing seems sustainable. Whether one particular product is sustainable for a long period of time doesn't appear to factor into their thoughts much.

Ryoku

Why? Are you trying to prove my point?

Look at the sales of the Wii these past few years --- they're not very good; all of the momentum it's had has long since burned out.

Look at sales of the 360, going stronger than ever and it was released a year before the Wii.

Your point was that a lower powered system with shitty online can't be sustained for the duration of its lifetime. I referred to current gen. Nintendo always intended for Wii to be a five-six year console. It's in their history. You expect Xbox360 or PS3 sales to catch up to Wii's numbers before their successors make it to market?

Sorry, but based on what we've seen the Wii U's online infrastructure is child's play compared to what MS is doing this gen; it's going to seem like a relic when they release their next gen hardware I'm guessing.

We've only seen the surface of Wii U's online functionality. It surprises me that Nintendo hasn't gone into great detail about it yet, so let's hold off on that topic until we know fully what it's capable of in the online functionality area.

Are you sure about that?

I'm under the impression that the Wii U's hardware is only slightly more powerful than the PS360, I have to imagine the PS4 and 720's hardware being much, much more capable.

Goodness..... PS4/Xbox3 will be more powerful. If you understand how hardware works at a decent level, you'd understand that it's technically impossible for Wii U to be in Wii's position next gen (in terms of power vs the competition and ability to receive ports). I'll leave it at that. Check out other threads if you want more info. I, as well as others, have repeated it far too many times, and it surprises me that people continue to base their views on assumptions alone. Inform yourself of how hardware has advanced within the past few years. It's gravely important to the understanding of power differences in these upcoming consoles.

Sure, Microsoft has a long road ahead of them as well—but at least they're on the right track.

They're not necessarily on the "right track", rather, they're on a different track. For sales figures alone, this is probably the right track. They're putting themselves in front of more competition, so we'll see where it goes.

Sorry for typos. I'm on my phone.

Exactly.

Take this world wide and it becomes almost laughable. Almost.

Edit: Beaten somewhat.

Vinci

Danish
So long as MS focuses mostly on providing services and tools to content creators, it will be on the right track. Because that's really what it's best at.

Rumor vs Assumption, who will win?

yeah, because Sony and Microsoft will release a new console one year (or longer) after the Wii U without significant hardware jump.

Take this world wide and it becomes almost laughable. Almost.

Edit: Beaten somewhat.

the 360 is the most succesful hardware at the moment. The Wii lost any momentum in the last years and that's the important point.

Total sales are something for fanboys.

RagnarokX

I don't think Nintendo even expected Wii to last the normal 5-6 years. Wii seems like it was a stop-gap system to reverse the negative response to GCN while waiting a few years until an HD system could be profitable (MS and Sony both took major losses on theirs). Wii was an unexpected success and they pushed WiiU back a few years.

the 360 is the most succesful hardware at the moment. The Wii lost in the last years any momentum and that's the important point.

Total sales are something for fanboys.

Well, we can't argue about game quality, as that is subjective no matter how you slice it. What is the metric for victory?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Exactly.

x360 is a tremendous success in NA, but Wii is a WW brand. It sold huge numbers in Japan and Europe, not only in the US.

Nintendo is as relevant than ever with kids, and Wii U will build on this. Kinect made illusion for 2 years, but Wii U will be the real next big thing. Kids of all ages will play real quality games with their dads, such as Rayman or Mario. Or they'll be able to play, on the same couch as their parents who watch their TV show. These are huge selling points. Unique selling points.

Vinci

Danish
People argue over brand power too much.

Prior to the Wii, Nintendo's brand value was in the shitter compared to Sony's. Didn't matter. A product that captures people's imaginations and makes them want it has little to fear from the generation before.

The only people who care about prior generations are 3rd parties and enthusiasts. The mainstream public couldn't give a shit. They didn't care about MS till it aped Nintendo and Nintendo stopped making games for the Wii.

So, who has the most power in the end? Hell, it's a toss-up. MS will likely win next generation due to Live and having the resources necessary to literally shift the Earth, but neither of those things is as immediately important to the mainstream public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom