• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition - Steam Needs Quality Control

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They overshot in an attempt to be more accessible because everyone complained about how difficult it was to get on Steam

Blackage

They need to find a balance, Greenlight was really bad at first, but now they've opened the flood gates and every 1% finished game and it's mama is slipping through! :p

Serrenn

Banned
Steam is becoming the new Android Market. Surprised there aren't any banner supported virus riddled games yet.

I was talking about this for a long long time. They need some sort of QC. Maybe a separate "Indie" tab like on XBL where all kinds of stuff reside.

Gannd

Banned
Steam doesn't need quality control, at all. If you think a game sucks the simple answer is not to buy it.

DedValve

Banned
Thats difficult to do. Steam is a great way to get your games on a wide platform fast and easy, the amount of resources it would take for QC would be extremely time-consuming and resource wasting on both sides.

What they need is some sort of a refund system ala Origin to take care of anymore Warz type fiascos (which they did give refunds).

Fenror

Neo Member
Well from "recent" talks by Gaben it sounds like they're going to crowdsource quality control by allowing user made storefronts.

I've been saying it for a while that Steam has outgrown Valve and they can't/shouldn't ignore it anymore...

...but it's clear they won't do things as other expect them to (so I've given up on the idea of them separating it from the company as a traditional structured entity :p). Besides people have been complaining how they should release games faster both through GL and the normal way, so here we are.

Custom storefront could be cool in the long run, we'll see.

Approving games based on popularity constest was a bad idea. Just because someone votes 'yes' doesn't mean they're actually going to buy it.

MormaPope

Banned
Eh, I'd rather have a extremely large market with great, unknown games mixed in with stinkers than a much smaller market. Larger markets, more choices, these are only bad things if you constantly make regrettable decisions as a consumer.

Etnos

Banned
I agree with this, Is not that I can't discern the Junk for the good games on steam, Is not about me buying into every single early access prototype its been publishing on daily basis. For me is more about steam taking care of their reputation as a trustworthy digital distribution platform.

FyreWulff

You have infinite shelf space and infinite backroom storage.

It really doesn't make any sense to limit the palette except to pander to those people that for some reason treat the store they buy games from as a reflection of their personal image.

I think he means Steam needs to stop giving top billing to shitty games in the store.

Icarus

I disagree completely with the premise.

Steam is a store. No one gets pissed at Wal-mart for stocking Elf Bowling. Valve shouldn't be in the business of editorially selecting content and they're better now than they've been in that regard.

What they should be in the business of doing is editorially deciding what is promoted and featured, which they mostly do a good job of.

If you want to be upset with the quality of a title, be mad at the developer and publisher. That's whose reputations get impacted. Not Valve's.

Early access whining video.
Except that was about developers themselves abusing Early Access, not Steam protecting consumers.

I'd pack up your hyperbole mate, because I've done one video on this subject, not "every" video. Sharpen your criticism and try again.

Considering how important being on Steam is to success in the PC market, I'd rather it have a very low barrier for entry that lets a lot of shit in than a high barrier for entry that blocks off games that deserve success. They just have to keep high standards for what makes it to the front page and separate the crap that they'd have denied back in the day from the rest.

emb

I hate when there are too many options. If only we had websites that would give us some idea which games were good, and which weren't...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not so sure this is a problem. Consumers should do adequate research before buying a product. Greenlight still acts as a filter, even if it's not as prohibitive as it was before.

Microsoft has a ton of terribad Xbox Live Indie Games.

Orayn

I disagree with Jim's assertion that it's getting harder to tell the crap from the good. The overhaul of the review system makes it extremely easy to read impressions from people who've played the game, the only potential problem being devs' ability to (partially) hide negative reviews by marking them as abusive.

The condemnation of Steam for listing low quality games also seems a bit hyperbolic. Is Amazon UNFOR-FUCKING-GIVABLE because it lists crappy self-published books? Steam is just a marketplace, and it does give consumers tools to separate the bad from the good.

Steam's front page needs to be more discerning. Valve needs to keep strengthening their review and recommendation systems to help people get informed before they make a purchase. There do need to be some serious steps taken to punish devs who deliberately mislead customers. Apart from that? I'm fine with sticking to "caveat emptor."

shin_velcro

Neo Member
Don't really want to give him the hits but how is it not the same as any other store? I don't think there is one store out there that only sells amazing items is there?

clubstoic

Banned
I don't care if they sell complete literal dogshit on Steam, as long as theres an easy way to have the quality ones stand out.

How do you find this out unless you've already bought it?

Well, Steam does have both user ratings and metacritic scores posted on the store page. Not to mention the community hub, where people will throw fits if a game is not to their liking.

Yeah, but I'm sure there are stores out there that sold Big Rigs.
Sure, I'm not saying bad products don't exist elsewhere. But here's the thing - when a store gets a bad game, Steam invariably gets that same bad game. And on top of THAT, Steam's allowing a whole bunch of OTHER bad games that stores don't have. Ergo, the amount of poor quality product on Steam is going to be worse than GameStop or Walmart.

There are simply more checks and balances in place with store-bought games. Now obviously they don't catch all the shit. A lot of shit still makes it out there - but imagine how much worse it'd be if literally anybody could put a game on a GameStop shelf.

And I think it's in Valve's interest, moreso than the customer, to sort that out. Because turning your store into a risky minefield simply isn't a good idea.

FyreWulff

Considering how important being on Steam is to success in the PC market, I'd rather it have a very low barrier for entry that lets a lot of shit in than a high barrier for entry that blocks off games that deserve success. They just have to keep high standards for what makes it to the front page and separate the crap that they'd have denied back in the day from the rest.

An ideal scenario is Steam essentially functions as a payment processor and CDN for any developer that signs up. Anyone can generate a Steam store link and link it from their website, Valve handles the payment processing and the bandwidth. However, the game would not show up in Steam search results or receive any central promotion. Valve would still choose games to receive promotion.

Feel free to use this, Gaben. Just made it.

Steam_seal_of_quality_zps25d64397.jpg

Glass Rebel

Quality control when you hold allegedly 70+% of the marketplace in your hand isn't the answer either. It will just invite others complaining that Valve is walling off a significant portion of the market for whatever reason. That's just the price of success or, as Tuco puts it, they just can't win.

Top Bottom