• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams officially set to direct Star Trek 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohwiseone

I'm excited. (I think i am more excited for Michael Giacchino score more than anything).

When they introduce the Enterprise with the theme he wrote for the first time, so good.

Fuck, Im gonna go watch Star Trek now

NR1

AgentChris said:
Seems like J.J. Abrams wants Benicio Del Toro to play the villain.

Variety

KHANNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Khan!!!.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My friend just texted and she said that Peter Weller is going to be in this? What?

I can't wait for this movie. Star Trek 2009 was such a fun film. Here's hoping the sequel can recapture the magic and charm of the first.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I REALLY hope they don't do Khan.

Be interesting to see who Weller plays. Kind of surprised he was cast given he played a major role in the Enterprise (real) finale.

JdFoX187

Banned
I REALLY hope they don't do Khan.

Be interesting to see who Weller plays. Kind of surprised he was cast given he played a major role in the Enterprise (real) finale.
How many roles did James Cromwell have throughout Trek canon before and after playing Zefram Cochrane, arguably one of the largest roles in the lore of the franchise?

teiresias

Geez, I really really hope they stay away from Kahn - as in forever. Every villain in the film franchise has been compared to or tried to be a copy of Kahn and it's just annoying. I'd really prefer to have something like a rebooted Q (yeah, I know, it's TOS not TNG, but whatever) that's just a badass, less campy, and completely alien.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Geez, I really really hope they stay away from Kahn - as in forever. Every villain in the film franchise has been compared to or tried to be a copy of Kahn and it's just annoying. I'd really prefer to have something like a rebooted Q (yeah, I know, it's TOS not TNG, but whatever) that's just a badass, less campy, and completely alien.

That's the problem, you can't do Q in a truly menacing way. "Encounter at Farpoint" and "All Good Things..." were as close as he got to menacing. It's tough to do a villain that can not be beaten. Q was always there to screw around a bit, have a laugh, then go on his way.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How many roles did James Cromwell have throughout Trek canon before and after playing Zefram Cochrane, arguably one of the largest roles in the lore of the franchise?

Yeah, but those were always pretty bit roles, and in 2 of his 3 pre-Cochrane roles he was under tons of makeup.

Zzoram

Wait, that's a set shot of the villain? That's not good.

he looks human, so he's probably emo young Khan

WillyFive

The problem with human villains in Star Trek is that there are never any major stakes involved.

What do you mean? Sure, they don't control the universe like Q, or split someone in half like a Klingon, but they can deliver real threats.

And if anything, it makes it more convincing because he's a real human. The more down to Earth a concept is, the easier it is for an audience to relate to it and understand it's severity.

It's the same reason a show like Everybody Loves Rayman can so hilarious despite anything really big happening in the show. Because the show doesn't rely on big sensational things, the smallest family argument can be a riot, because it's more real.

Zzoram

I guess I just want to see a big pew pew battle with a Hollywood budget and a human villain can't deliver that since he's not going to have some kinda bandit fleet.

The Klingons could offer some pew pew.

I hope there's some interesting scifi puzzle/mystery thingy going on in the movie. Star Trek was never as interesting when it was just about beating the villain, for me.

This is why we need a new show.

bengraven

I feel sorry for Cumberbatch's hair. If it's not long and curly like Sherlock, it's parted 1930's style in the middle like in FortySomething/Star Trek/everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom