• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan renews deal with Spotify, but his podcast is no longer exclusive. Will return to YouTube, Apple, etc.

Kazza

Joe "Spotify are gonna pay me $250 million but still allow me to start uploading to YouTube again" Rogan

Seriously though, I never got on with spotify so am glad he is back on Youtube again (with its funny comments section too :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
As you might guess by my username, I don't use Spotify for music (or any other streaming services, most of the masters they use are brick-walled crap). The Spotify app on my TV & phone are only there because of Rogan and will be getting deleted the second he's back on other app/s.

Tams

I know Spotify were in the red for years, so how can they justify this, especially with it not even being exclusive?

I don't really care for the guy either way, but with these ridiculous payouts for very little of value in return; I'm glad I no longer give Spotify any money.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Didn’t they try and cancel him at one stage? So they decided not to now ? Ok let’s see how this goes.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I’ll point it out again.

The $250 million is a total guess from some analysts.

The article implies Spotify is increasing their ad revenue share rather than making payouts in general. So there’s no proof they actually paid Rogan any cash up front,

jason10mm

Gold Member
He popped back up on my podcast feed. Cleared out all the comics but the political/science ones are just the same as they were in 2021 or whenever he went dark. Didn't realize he bought a club in Austin, have to check it out at some point.

HoodWinked

that's actually hilarious that the first podcast back on YouTube is Katt.

Makes sense tho, his show on Unc's was a 60 million view monster.

aTjX47s.png

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I know Spotify were in the red for years, so how can they justify this, especially with it not even being exclusive?

I don't really care for the guy either way, but with these ridiculous payouts for very little of value in return; I'm glad I no longer give Spotify any money.

I've got 2 theories, both of which are complete speculation:
1 I would venture to guess his listener count tanked during the exclusivity. It may not make financial sense for him to manage another platform that yields far less results
2 Not sure if this is true, but I have heard that Spotify runs their own ads on his podcasts even for paying subscribers--if true, this could be an agreed upon cut of the ad revenue

that's actually hilarious that the first podcast back on YouTube is Katt.

Makes sense tho, his show on Unc's was a 60 million view monster.

aTjX47s.png
I'm about 2 hours in and this is one of the worst, most boring episodes of Rogan's show in recent memory. I almost feel like Katt is trolling him with all this talk. You can hear Joe getting frustrated and trying to get anything out of this conversation.

Mesousa

Banned
I mean they have 0 audience overlap. This just feels like Rogan trying to get someone because they went viral on another podcast, but it never really made sense.

He was never going to have the type of conversation with Katt that Katt had with Club Shay Shay, and the convo is what made it good. All this turned into was a stoner, whos not really comfortable around black people, having a weird conversation with a mentally-ill black guy while they both got high. There was never going to be anything to gain from it.

I mean they have 0 audience overlap. This just feels like Rogan trying to get someone because they went viral on another podcast, but it never really made sense.

He was never going to have the type of conversation with Katt that Katt had with Club Shay Shay, and the convo is what made it good. All this turned into was a stoner, whos not really comfortable around black people, having a weird conversation with a mentally-ill black guy while they both got high. There was never going to be anything to gain from it.
I've been a fan of Rogan and Katt for years. Rogan has also had loads of black guests over the years, from comedians, actors, and musicans to politicians, scientists, and social activists. The reasons Katt is on the show now is because Rogan heard Katt say that he didn't think Rogan would ever want him on his podcast. Rogan disagreed, and said he's been a fan of Katt Williams for years.

The reason why this didn't turn into "something" is because that's not what Rogan does. He has conversations with people he likes and people he finds interesting, and he doesn't chase fame or ratings. That's why loads of celiberties have never been on, that's why he spends so many episodes talking to comedian friends of his, and that's why he didn't spend this episode trying to get Katt to talk shit about people.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fuck Rogan and his "open mind" giving Hancock multiple seats. Old millionaire that's so out of touch. Nevermind his "comics" crew. I'll maybe watch his Kat ep tho.

SpiceRacz

Joe’s mentioned several times over the years, long before Katt’s viral interview, that he wanted to have him on. Not sure where you’re getting he’s uncomfortable around black people. Weird take.

I'm about 2 hours in and this is one of the worst, most boring episodes of Rogan's show in recent memory. I almost feel like Katt is trolling him with all this talk. You can hear Joe getting frustrated and trying to get anything out of this conversation.
Some people have pointed it out that they have noticed Joe's change in how he does these podcast interviews, to where the questions are less about the person he's talking to and their interests, and more about funneling them down a set of topics that mainly Joe is interested in.

So far from listening to over half of this Kat Williams podcast I can agree that I see the difference between his old style and new. I'm wondering if Kat would have opened up more if things were steered in a different direction.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Some people have pointed it out that they have noticed Joe's change in how he does these podcast interviews, to where the questions are less about the person he's talking to and their interests, and more about funneling them down a set of topics that mainly Joe is interested in.

So far from listening to over half of this Kat Williams podcast I can agree that I see the difference between his old style and new. I'm wondering if Kat would have opened up more if things were steered in a different direction.
It's funny that I read opinions elsewhere completely the opposite of yours.

Joe is a great interviewer. No getting around that now. He's been at this a LONG time. He let Kat dictate and people look into this too much. He let it flow the way it was meant to. He has to navigate the guest while trying to keep them engaged or from going into the weeds. That's why podcasts are good. They allow a lot of this to exhaust as you end up finding nuggets in the areas you can't anticipate.

Mesousa

Banned
I've been a fan of Rogan and Katt for years. Rogan has also had loads of black guests over the years, from comedians, actors, and musicans to politicians, scientists, and social activists. The reasons Katt is on the show now is because Rogan heard Katt say that he didn't think Rogan would ever want him on his podcast. Rogan disagreed, and said he's been a fan of Katt Williams for years.

The reason why this didn't turn into "something" is because that's not what Rogan does. He has conversations with people he likes and people he finds interesting, and he doesn't chase fame or ratings. That's why loads of celiberties have never been on, that's why he spends so many episodes talking to comedian friends of his, and that's why he didn't spend this episode trying to get Katt to talk shit about people.

Loads of black guests arent Katt, and even a black supremacist like Malcolm Little(X) had a white girlfriend. Anybody who is a fan of Rogan knows he isnt comofrtable around them. From him saying mixed people are special for having black bodies and white minds, to being uncomfortable walking into a black theater. Its part of his character, and makes him relatable to his audience.

The viral thing made it so he had to have Katt, not that he wanted him. Katt was always touring and randomly doing birthday parties around covid. He'd have had him on if he wanted to, but he didnt until he went viral because Katt is mentally ill.

Joe’s mentioned several times over the years, long before Katt’s viral interview, that he wanted to have him on. Not sure where you’re getting he’s uncomfortable around black people. Weird take.
If he wanted him he would have been on. I also mentioned where Rogan himself has mentioned being uncomfortable around them. If you are his fan he has never hidden this truth. Folks used to call him based for admitting it.

It's funny that I read opinions elsewhere completely the opposite of yours.

Joe is a great interviewer. No getting around that now. He's been at this a LONG time. He let Kat dictate and people look into this too much. He let it flow the way it was meant to. He has to navigate the guest while trying to keep them engaged or from going into the weeds. That's why podcasts are good. They allow a lot of this to exhaust as you end up finding nuggets in the areas you can't anticipate.
You're approaching this in a defensive manner that implies I am saying what I said above to take a dig at Joe. I am not and I agree with your point that Joe can be a great interviewer. All I'm doing is pointing out a change in Joe's style, as multiple successful podcasts have different styles.

For example, someone posted the Shannon Sharpe podcast and you can see a stark difference in the topics being discussed, the energy of the discussion, the dynamic, and how he is letting the guest engage with him. Joe Rogan used to podcast in the style that Shannon Sharpe is currently doing, but has changed to become more of a directorial style, conversationally. Whether or not people love it or hate it is up to the listener. I find it interesting.

Mesousa

Banned
You're approaching this in a defensive manner that implies I am saying what I said above to take a dig at Joe. I am not and I agree with your point that Joe can be a great interviewer. All I'm doing is pointing out a change in Joe's style, as multiple successful podcasts have different styles.

For example, someone posted the Shannon Sharpe podcast and you can see a stark difference in the topics being discussed, the energy of the discussion, the dynamic, and how he is letting the guest engage with him. Joe Rogan used to podcast in the style that Shannon Sharpe is currently doing, but has changed to become more of a directorial style, conversationally. Whether or not people love it or hate it is up to the listener. I find it interesting.
It worked for shay shay because they were at ease and comfortable around each other. Rogan was never going to have that comfort with Katt, and Katt was never going to have that with Rogan.

Say what you like about club shay shay but hes called unc because hes like your drunk uncle. Its family. Rogan has a barrier up that means the relationship wont ever be family. So in the end you get nonsensical surface level ramblings about aliens.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I don't think about it a lot. I have been watching Joe for years. He's just himself. Imperfect like any one. Hell, even me.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Loads of black guests arent Katt, and even a black supremacist like Malcolm Little(X) had a white girlfriend. Anybody who is a fan of Rogan knows he isnt comofrtable around them. From him saying mixed people are special for having black bodies and white minds, to being uncomfortable walking into a black theater. Its part of his character, and makes him relatable to his audience.
Bro I'll be the first guy to shit on joe because what he's turned into but this might be dumbest shit I ever read.

joe might be literally retarded tho

Last edited:

Mesousa

Banned
Bro I'll be the first guy to shit on joe because what he's turned into but this might be dumbest shit I ever read.

joe might be literally retarded tho

I mean he's never hidden it:

He also said "white minds" are scary in black bodies. He doesnt think much of black minds, hence why he turned a funny dude like Katt into a boring AF interview. He didnt really care what Katt had to say, so he couldnt get anything good or insightful out of him.

Winter John

Gold Member
I mostly stopped watching him during the pandemic when he started having all them weird academics on, and was ranting about being able to see the homeless from his limousine. I might have ignored it if it had been a one off, but there was several episodes of him shitting on people for the crime of being broke. To be fair he had some politician on to talk about the problems the city had dealing with the homeless, but that shit, the weird guests and that whole cawmedy is the toughest job crap put me off. I’ll watch if he has certain guests on. I don’t hate the guy. His cawmedy sucks and he believes too much bullshit, but he turned me on to Ms.Pat, Duncan Trussell and Annie Jacobson.

Jsisto

Wait….so what is Spotify paying for this time if it’s viewable on other platforms anyway. A bit confused by that part.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The thing with Rogan is he is throwing out HOURS of conversations every week, so it's easy to find some odd shit either out of context or just rando dumb stuff people say when they are working through something in a conversation. He has learned to not look at any feedback outside of his friend circle and his influence doesn't seem to be waning, so clearly there is a very large group of folks that see him as just a person with some quirks and flaws. Plus he is a comedian for chrissakes, he's gonna say weird offensive shit from time to time just to crack a smile. It's just Howard Stern with way less hair and a better punch :p

Jsisto

The thing with Rogan is he is throwing out HOURS of conversations every week, so it's easy to find some odd shit either out of context or just rando dumb stuff people say when they are working through something in a conversation. He has learned to not look at any feedback outside of his friend circle and his influence doesn't seem to be waning, so clearly there is a very large group of folks that see him as just a person with some quirks and flaws. Plus he is a comedian for chrissakes, he's gonna say weird offensive shit from time to time just to crack a smile. It's just Howard Stern with way less hair and a better punch :p
Agreed. He has his moments like all of us. One such was the Katt Williams episode that just came out. Started out interesting and then Katt mentioned something about the pyramids being built by alien technology and humans couldn’t have done it, which got Joe all excited and I just had to turn it off at that point. 😂. They were both clearly high to be fair, but I know from previous convos he’s had that Joe seems to actually believe this lol.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I mean he's never hidden it:

He also said "white minds" are scary in black bodies. He doesnt think much of black minds, hence why he turned a funny dude like Katt into a boring AF interview. He didnt really care what Katt had to say, so he couldnt get anything good or insightful out of him.

Duno man if you're only using that clip to make your point I don't think you actually have a lot of JR exposure

Youtube isn't what it use to be. It just keeps getting worse as a platform. Rogan could try going the Tucker Carlson route and use X/ Twitter. But then I think to myself, that Rogan could also host his own content and pay for his own servers and use Bluesky.social instead. Bluesky.social allows external server hosting, and it would give Rogan unlimited freedom to not worry about being curated by whatever platform he is on. I think it could be linked to X, facebook, and other social media outlets. Kind of like what Trump does with Truth Social.

SpiceRacz

The viral thing made it so he had to have Katt, not that he wanted him. Katt was always touring and randomly doing birthday parties around covid. He'd have had him on if he wanted to, but he didnt until he went viral because Katt is mentally ill.

If he wanted him he would have been on. I also mentioned where Rogan himself has mentioned being uncomfortable around them. If you are his fan he has never hidden this truth. Folks used to call him based for admitting it.

Nah. Katt called out Joe during the Shannon Sharpe interview, claiming he wouldn’t have him on JRE. Joe responded on Twitter and that’s what got the ball rolling.

Trilobit

Fuck Rogan and his "open mind" giving Hancock multiple seats. Old millionaire that's so out of touch. Nevermind his "comics" crew. I'll maybe watch his Kat ep tho.

That reminded me, thanks for recommending Ancient Apocalypse. I think we both can agree that it's some of the bravest and most important documentaries made in modern times.

Mesousa

Banned
Do you want him to be racist?
Nah, but thats who he is. He has never hid from his truth either.

A lot of people, usually women, want a man to be what he isnt though. They'll sit with an abuser for years and give you all types of excuses like:

"Oh thats not who he really is!"

because they dont view the man as who he is or even says he is, but who they want him to be. Fans of stars do the same. Michael Jackson told everybody for years he laid in bed with boys, his fans will deny that to your face now.

"Oh meant in his suite" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nah. Katt called out Joe during the Shannon Sharpe interview, claiming he wouldn’t have him on JRE. Joe responded on Twitter and that’s what got the ball rolling.
And he called him out because he knew Joe didnt want his mentally-ill ass on his show. The ball is only rolling because Katt is the most viral person in the world right now.

Last edited:

Mesousa

Banned
Nah, that's who you want him to be.

So you know him better than he knows himself?

I do wish, in this life, every man is able to get a partner in their life who will love and defend them the way you have Little short Joe. Love is beautiful thing brother:messenger_blowing_kiss:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So you know him better than he knows himself?
I don't know the guy. You don't either.

I do wish, in this life, every man is able to get a partner in their life who will love and defend them the way you have Little short Joe. Love is beautiful thing brother:messenger_blowing_kiss:

This isn't a defense of Joe Rogan. It's a defense against the concept of judging people we've never met in the worst possible light as a form of self soothing. Pick a different kink.

Mesousa

Banned
I don't know the guy. You don't either.

This isn't a defense of Joe Rogan. It's a defense against the concept of judging people we've never met in the worst possible light as a form of self soothing. Pick a different kink.
He has said he felt uncomfortable walking into a theater full of black people to see a movie, and likened it to being in "Planet of the apes" those were HIS words.His words were also mixed people are powerful because they have black bodies and white minds. Those were HIS words.He's not comfortable with black people, and that is not something he has shied away from. YOU seem to feel more shame for his beliefs than he is about them.

I'll tell you how it is though, and what we tell abuse victims. I cannot judge a man based on what he does when its just you two in bed, and I cannot judge a man based on who he is in your head. The ziggurat you place him on in your reality is just that, your reality. It is not the real world, and not in a place we live.

Obviously Joe means something to you, and its not my job to tear down someone you love, but you have to live in reality. Theres the Joe who has NEVER been ashamed of who he is, and there are people like you who obviously are and think what he tells us isnt the real him. He's something more in your eyes, but as the song says, "He's just a man"

near

Gold Member
Nah, but thats who he is. He has never hid from his truth either.

A lot of people, usually women, want a man to be what he isnt though. They'll sit with an abuser for years and give you all types of excuses like:

"Oh thats not who he really is!"

because they dont view the man as who he is or even says he is, but who they want him to be. Fans of stars do the same. Michael Jackson told everybody for years he laid in bed with boys, his fans will deny that to your face now.

"Oh meant in his suite" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You're conflating something that is the result of emotional/psychological torment and remarks made that can be deemed as racism to support your characterisation of Joe Rogan. I think that is quite unfair. Having seen a lot of the footage that you're referring to, I don't think he's racist at all. The Planet of the Apes story had a bad punchline, which he himself immediately acknowledges and defines as racism, an actual racist wouldn't casually acknowledge this. People can make statements that are forms of racism and not actually be racist - I think there is a massive distinction between the two.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He has said he felt uncomfortable walking into a theater full of black people to see a movie, and likened it to being in "Planet of the apes" those were HIS words.His words were also mixed people are powerful because they have black bodies and white minds. Those were HIS words.He's not comfortable with black people, and that is not something he has shied away from. YOU seem to feel more shame for his beliefs than he is about them.
No, I feel more shame for YOU. Joe Rogan has thousands of hours of content online, and like bacteria to sugar, you choose to glom onto the worst things he's ever said. Your spirit animal is that if a courtroom prosecutor who has no interest in the other side of the story.

Why would you judge a man based on his low points rather than take him holistically?

Because its your kink. It makes you feel good.

I'll tell you how it is though, and what we tell abuse victims. I cannot judge a man based on what he does when its just you two in bed, and I cannot judge a man based on who he is in your head. The ziggurat you place him on in your reality is just that, your reality. It is not the real world, and not in a place we live.

Obviously Joe means something to you, and its not my job to tear down someone you love, but you have to live in reality. Theres the Joe who has NEVER been ashamed of who he is, and there are people like you who obviously are and think what he tells us isnt the real him. He's something more in your eyes, but as the song says, "He's just a man"
The formula for this interaction went as follows:

1. You called Joe Rogan, a man you've never met, racist.

2. I called you out for having an unhealthy shame fetish.

Perhaps Joe Rogan means more to you than you previously realized.

Top Bottom