• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carpenter sounds like he wants to make a Dead Space movie m

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
AVC: Have you ever thought about adapting a game?

JC:
The only one I can think of, and I’ve mentioned it before, is Dead Space. That would make a real great movie. I could do that.

AVC: Do you have a favorite out of that series?
JC:
Well, any of them were really good. I even like the last one, the action one that nobody else liked.

He also REALLY loves fallout 76. Absolute legend.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Awakened or the DLC to DS3 was not that bad. It certainly left on a cliff hanger, but then if they’d continue on you’d have this Mass Effect 3 type of let down if they couldn’t finish it to the fan’s expectations. It makes me glad EA is going back with Remake versus sinking the nail even further. My biggest concern is how many times can you tell this story? They tried turning Isaac into the Toxic Avenger by the third game. His journey into madness was increasing with each game, so it wasn’t very enjoyable to see what he started out as in Dead Space 3. Dead Space’s allure was having a janitor/mechanic, someone who works a normal job, traveling to a ship on a rescue mission where he happens to have a love interest on board. Everything just falls into place. His origins or backstory is what makes the character so special in my opinion. As far as a movie goes, they’d hit that high note if they could capture that whole experience.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Only with real props no cgi bs

The Thing Monster GIF by Arrow Video

Shut0wen

He's the right person to do it, he actually understands the genre, and he's done it perfectly in the past.

Hopefully he can get Swayze again.
Lmao hes definitely not the best person to do it, hes still stuck in 80s, hasnt moved on with the times and because of that his movies are dog shit, big john carpenter fan but what im saying is true hes shit now and even he knows it

old-parts

Lmao hes definitely not the best person to do it, hes still stuck in 80s, hasnt moved on with the times and because of that his movies are dog shit, big john carpenter fan but what im saying is true hes shit now and even he knows it
Definitely not true, his last proper movie The Ward in 2010 is pretty good, John got burned by Hollywood badly with their interference in his movies that soured him on the business leaving it behind, that's why he rarely makes movies over the past 20 years.

The guy is a true gamer and if anyone could do a body horror sci-fi movie of Dead Space its him, but it would take an awful lot of money that no-one in the industry would give him.

One of the best younger horror directors today is Robert Eggers, who has done The Witch, Lighthouse and most recent Northman but that sadly bombed at box office so no-one is going to give him money to make a horror scifi movie any time soon.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think he's the best option for horror videogame adaptations, a legend in cinema and also a gamer that played a ton of games and understand them.

I think he's the one who finally would be able to make a good Resident Evil movie.

VGEsoterica

People should let John Carpenter make whatever he wants...so long as its practical effects

Dead Space is basically The Thing in space

Reactions: Isa

Shut0wen

Definitely not true, his last proper movie The Ward in 2010 is pretty good, John got burned by Hollywood badly with their interference in his movies that soured him on the business leaving it behind, that's why he rarely makes movies over the past 20 years.

The guy is a true gamer and if anyone could do a body horror sci-fi movie of Dead Space its him, but it would take an awful lot of money that no-one in the industry would give him.

One of the best younger horror directors today is Robert Eggers, who has done The Witch, Lighthouse and most recent Northman but that sadly bombed at box office so no-one is going to give him money to make a horror scifi movie any time soon.
Yes he got burned badly by hollywood near the end of his career but early 90s he was still given chance after chance, his current movies are shit because hes a budget direct, back in his good old days props were cheap af now there extremely expensive so he replaces it with cheap cgi that just look nasty like i said he hasnt went with the times and he couldnt catch up to movie making like most directors

Dr_Salt

Incredibly upset that john cant make a decent movie yes absolutely
His 80s movies are absolutely legendary tho. Halloween, They Live, the thing, escape from new york, big trouble in little china are all great.

I say let the old man have his swan song.

stranno

It is called Event Horizon.

At least the first half of the movie, the second half, which is basically the 40K's Immaterium, is pretty boring for me, tbh.

ARK1391

I'd be game for a Dead Space movie. Even if it's animated.

A bit off topic, but I've been thinking a lot about a Dead Space Metroidvania and I really think someone should make it. Seems like a perfect fit to me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Seems like there should be PLENTY of space for a 60-80 million dollar space horror film. This used to be a HUGE genre and space to play, not everything needs a massive 200+ million dollar budget. Keep the scale small, be selective in effects, get actors that work for reasonable rates.

Dead Space is 95% atmosphere anyway, so music and mood are CRUCIAL. Hell, you could probably film the whole damn thing on some WW2 museum ship on an iphone for pennies with 1-2 practical effect monsters used well and be successful.

Shut0wen

His 80s movies are absolutely legendary tho. Halloween, They Live, the thing, escape from new york, big trouble in little china are all great.

I say let the old man have his swan song.
I never said they werent, infact hes probably the best horror director to ever live, but like i said he hasnt got with the times therefore his films are straight to dvd quality, i mean if you want to watch a shitty dead space film then by all means let the guy do it, but the movie will all be in cgi and not one prop would be used because there way to expensive then they used to be

Aggelos

AVC: Are you familiar with the name Hideo Kojima?

JC:
Yes.

AVC: Have you met him? He has a character named Solid Snake…

JC:
I do know about Solid Snake. I know about that. No, he wrote me. I think he wrote me in lieu of the company paying me any money whatsoever.

AVC: Ha!

JC:
He just said, “Hey, how you doing?” But I know who he is, sure.

AVC: Have you played those games?

JC:
Oh, no. My son did. I looked at them, but I didn’t play them.

AVC: You started playing games with Sonic The Hedgehog. Are there any other old games you revisit very often?

JC:
Sure. Jak And Daxter. You recall that game? I love that game. Well, the first one especially.

AVC: It’s interesting, because that studio has gone on to do The Last Of Us games. Have you played those?

JC:
I have. I got stuck on The Last Of Us 2. I couldn’t get the generator started. Got frustrated.

AVC: Fair enough.

JC:
Well, it isn’t fair! I wanted to keep going! But they didn’t let me.

AVC: Do you have any interest in ever adapting a game? The Last Of Us TV show is in the works right now ...

JC:
The Last Of Us TV show?

AVC: Yeah, HBO is making it.

JC:
Are you kidding me? That’s unbelievable. Unbelievable.

AVC: It’s Craig Mazin, who did Chernobyl.

JC: Oh, wow. Chernobyl was great.

I think they outta give him an episode to direct (from the Last of Us TV series).

Last edited:
Top Bottom