• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Davison leaving 1up/Ziff Davis

Ninja Scooter said:
1up Show is going to suck without Luke and now John. Now we are left with Garnett and Shane babbling on about shit that nobody cares about "WARHAWK SUCKS NO IT DOESNT HAY HAS ANYONE PLAYED PLANET PUZZLE LEAGUE SHUT THE FUCK UP!"
holy shit, you're right, who in the hell is going to keep garnett and shane in check?

i mean garnett really does hold the show down and keep it moving, except for those times when he and shane go at it...

Joates

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
holy shit, you're right, who in the hell is going to keep garnett and shane in check?

i mean garnett really does hold the show down and keep it moving, except for those times when he and shane go at it...

But now we can have Green + Mark/Shawn :D So its really not that bad...

Guys, seriously, the podcast is really minor in the grand scheme of things here.

The guy kinda ran the entirety of 1up. He was above the EICs of the mags; pretty much in charge of the whole of the editorial division. This isn't just bad for the podcast, this is bad for all of 1up.

He has done such an amazing job over the years, I don't think there is any doubt that the overall quality of the network is going to drop without him. I can't think of anyone who could really fill his shoes here. 1up is in even more serious trouble here than it was when it missed that payment last week.

And you guys are worried about a podcast?

Pazuzu

Banned
With a couple of the notable DL.TV staffers recently announcing they are also leaving, this could very well be a ZD bail out scenario...

1up Yours just took a big hit (and not the good kind), hope wherever he's going he will at least be writing or doing a podcast, I like his style and humor and have always respected his opinion.

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Guys, seriously, the podcast is really minor in the grand scheme of things here.

The guy kinda ran the entirety of 1up. He was above the EICs of the mags; pretty much in charge of the whole of the editorial division. This isn't just bad for the podcast, this is bad for all of 1up.

He has done such an amazing job over the years, I don't think there is any doubt that the overall quality of the network is going to drop without him. I can't think of anyone who could really fill his shoes here. 1up is in even more serious trouble here than it was when it missed that payment last week.

QFT

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Everytime a 1up person leaves, I think I'm going to miss them, and do for a few weeks, but then the hurting stops.
When I can no longer get one up to rub one out to their portraits. Then I move on.

Norse

Lazy vs Crazy said:

hell yes we are worried about the podcast...we will see John on another site in the future, and anyone else that leaves the 1up site...but we will never have that group on 1up yours ever again.

Choabac

Lazy vs Crazy said:

I think we're all aware of that, but for many people here, the podcast was the main point of interest in 1up. I'm not sure how many of the listeners here actually visited 1up.com frequently for news, or purchased the ZD magazines.

joezombie

Lazy vs Crazy said:

Probably a fair number in this thread don't read 1up or any of the Ziff mags, I certainly don't. Just listen to the podcast

Norse

I hit the 1up site maybe 2 times a day and its so slow most of the time I dread that much...but the podcast is 2nd to none.

Odysseus

Banned
Lazy vs Crazy said:

who reads the magazines? i would ask "who reads the site" but that's unfair since it never loads.

1up yours is about the only gaming coverage i get in a week, not counting neogaf. so yeah, all i'm concerned about is the quality of the podcast. without luke and john, it has lost a ton of its appeal. or to mimic garnett, the loss of appeal is

un

believable.

Barakov

Crayon Shinchan said:
Everytime a 1up person leaves, I think I'm going to miss them, and do for a few weeks, but then the hurting stops.
When I can no longer get one up to rub one out to their portraits. Then I move on.

Aquafina?

Things that make you go OH SHIT!

The golden age of gaming podcast is over

Gaming Steve... gone
4colorrebellion... gone
Broadcast Gamer... gone
Evil Avatar Radio ... gone
1Up Yours... :(

Please TeamFremont keep on rocking in the podcast world. Forever.

Razoric

Banned
Bidermaier said:
The golden age of gaming podcast is over

Gaming Steve... gone
Broadcast Gamer... gone
Evil Avatar Radio ... gone
1Up Yours... :(

Please TeamFremont keep on rocking in the podcast world. Forever.

Well, there's always EGM Live...

suicide.gif

I think Nameless said it best in regards to Luke Smith - 1up's going to be losing a lot of its logic now, because all too often John was one of the few there that had it.

Shins

Banned
Odysseus said:
who reads the magazines? i would ask "who reads the site" but that's unfair since it never loads.

1up yours is about the only gaming coverage i get in a week, not counting neogaf.

Nail, head, etc.

I've no doubt that 1UP as a whole will suffer, but for me personally, my sphere of interaction is primarily the podcasts. Of course that's going to be the part of this news that catches me.

Shins

Banned
Spire said:
You forget GFW Radio, which is still the best podcast in existence.

I think its time to bump up GFW to two podcasts a week; hell, throw Garnett's alcohol-aided raving ass in the background for good measure.

Open up a bigger spot of EGM Live for ManGod.

J-Rzez

Good Luck John with your new venture... Keep the number of xbots in your crew to reasonable numbers and maybe you guys will do better off this time j/k :p... Oh, and take Shane and Garnett with you... Maybe Mark and Ryan too...

Best of Luck

Best of luck to John wherever he goes and whatever he does. He'll be missed, for sure.

On a more positive note, at least we got 1up Yours with john luke shane and garnett. Not something they had to do, but they delivered EVERY friday (accept for like once or twice...dedication FTW) and for a long time now the podcasts have been running for about two hours, give or take. All for us, the gamers. Hopefully they come to the boards and will look at this thread and interpret it not as GAF being greedy fucks for wanting the core podcast forever, but take it as a compliment that it was such a great, fun, informative and most importantly HILARIOUS show and we ALWAYS want more.

In any case, for shits and giggles, here's who i'd like to see on the cast in the future:

1. Garnett
2. Shane
3. Shawn Elliot
4. Mark McDonald

And fuck it, let's get Parish in there every now and then too.

gstaff

Good luck John...always liked listening to you. Though I'm not a parent, I think it sounds like a great move for him, if he helps do things right, they'll be less BS to hear about videogame violence, etc.

JKBii

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Ziff is a sinking ship and was already considering selling 1up and EGM. If John starts his own venture with enough talent, it'll salvage the talent that otherwise would have been lost by Ziff's demise. I'm looking at this as a repeat some key staffers noticing Rare crumbling and leaving for Zoonami... uh oh.

JKBii said:
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Ziff is a sinking ship and was already considering selling 1up and EGM. If John starts his own venture with enough talent, it'll salvage the talent that otherwise would have been lost by Ziff's demise. I'm looking at this as a repeat some key staffers noticing Rare crumbling and leaving for Zoonami... uh oh.

Sell your video games, it's all over!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Well shit. Is there anybody over there other than John who can talk about driving games other than wipeout?

voltron

Im surprised John didnt post a blog since he knew he was firing it off to his whole contact list and that news would inevitably hit the internetz.

C'mon JD give us a blog entry and 'splain yourself!

Ristamar

This sucks for me, John was always my favorite 1UY guy. Best wishes to him in his new endeavors.

Jeff would be an awesome permanent replacement, but that might be asking a bit much of Mr. Green.

Top Bottom