• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Drake leaves (was laid off from?) Harmonix, looking for new work

Nibel

tumblr_inline_n79w4nMvof1rhprjv.jpg

This is a weird thing to post.

After 7 awesome years, today is my last day at Harmonix.

He wrote a big blogpost at Tumblr, check it out

Source (John's tumblr)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy--just saw him dancing on the show floor in Microsoft's area at E3 the other day.

Hope he has something cool lined up.

edit: just read the Tumblr. Looks like he doesn't have anything lined up. I guess he was part of the group who got laid off? Seems crazy.

Thank god I checked didn't post my thread! That's what I get for trying to add a bunch of other links like a pill

From the sounds of it, he got laid off too :(
Hope he lands on his feet quickly

LQX

Maybe he will land at GiantBomb. For some reason they have a HUGE boner for this guy. Nearly every other episode I hear his name.

Wow, even though he was fairly dismissive on the Giant Bomb panels at E3 of the Harmonix presence at the show, there was no indication this was going to go down.

Good luck to wherever he ends up. Super cool personality, always love whenever he shows up with the Giant Bomb dudes.

If he is somehow joining the crew full-time this will be absolutely unbefuckingbeliably cool.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sounds like he got laid off.

Unless the whole looking for a job thing is subterfuge for him joining GB NY. Either way I hope I get to see him in more dumb videos in the future.

Tripon

Didn't Drake run the kick starter? Pretty scummy that Harominx made him run and promote it and they won't let him see the project through.

Blueblur1

Some people haven't read his post, I see. Whatever happens I hope he lands in a prominent position where he's still in the public eye and able to continue being eccentric and funny in Giant Bomb videos and live streams.

I find this very surprising, he seemed to be one of the lead people at Harmonix, and a mainstay after he survived the first round of Harmonix layoffs. It's a brutal layoff, right after E3 and after he crusaded so hard to promote Amplitude.

I like him ever since he created the Barkerville jam. Before that he seemed more like a charismatic PR guy, but ever since the Barkerville thing I realized that he seems a bit more personable and genuine than the others.

I'm sure he'll land on his feet, but I still wish him good luck.

That sucks. He busted his balls turning around that Amplitude kickstater which is the only good thing the company has right now.

Harmonix is really not in a good place.

It's time for him to achieve his rightful destiny and team up with Johnny V.

Sucks to hear about him losing his job though. He's good people and I hope he lands a new gig soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How desperate is Harmonix that they have to fire their best pr guy?

I imagine things are looking pretty grim over there. They are a game company that bet heavily on music games and Kinect.

Eterniti

Whoa. This is surprising. I mean he's the Harmonix employee that I recognize the most.

Best of luck to him. I hope he lands a job soon.

Bedlam

Yeah, he kinda was the face of HMX for me as well. His enthusiasm and charisma worked really well for the kind of stuff they did. This is just another step for the company into irrelevance as far as I'm concerned. And I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

Top Bottom