• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Gonzalez(Narrative Director) on Horizon Zero Dawn 1 and 2 has left

If there's something these last few months have shown us, its how frequently people move from studio to studio. Not like half the staff walked out on the studio.
No, but Directors are one of the most prominent positions and he won a lot of awards for the game for best storytelling.

DonJorginho

Banned
Dude you beat my alternate title

Chore-izon: Hero Yawn

I haven't played the game yet btw
I love your title tbh, suits the sidequests well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It is a decent game, not average but not one of the best this gen either, good combat mechanics and a beautiful world make up for some wooden acting and woeful sidequests, it is a high 8 for sure, I would highly recommend it.

The DLC Frozen Wilds was ten times better than the base game imo.

cheezcake

From my memories of the HZD Noclip doc, the other GG devs praised his work a lot in improving the original skeleton of the game’s quests and overarching storyline.

Hopefully HZD2 storywork is mostly done at this point and he’s passed on some of his skills to the other GG writers.

Humdinger

Yup ^. The characters, story, and writing would all be complete by this point. There would be no need for him to stick around. He'd just be twiddling his thumbs. He has moved on to his next project. No big deal.

I'm glad he was involved in writing the sequel. He did a great job with the first game.

No nerve touched, don't known what gave you that impression.

Just making you aware that you can get paid to sit and go through LinkedIn if that's something you enjoy.
Your snarky response. Thats why.Didn't go through Linkedin. Saw the news on another gaming site. Whats it matter? Some people like HZD or it may even hint at how far the sequel is in development. This is a gaming site.....where people discuss games! No?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yup ^. The characters, story, and writing would all be complete by this point. There would be no need for him to stick around. He'd just be twiddling his thumbs. He has moved on to his next project. No big deal.

I'm glad he was involved in writing the sequel. He did a great job with the first game.
How do you know all the writing is done at this point? We don't have a release date or any idea how far along the game is.

good chance they bring him back for their next game

thats how the gaming(and vfx/animation) industry is people.

contract work.
I dont' think so, otherwise he'd be already in pre production for HZ3, KZ 5 or whatever project is next. Thats usually what Directors do.

pr0cs

Too bad really. The story was the reason why I wanted to continue playing, otherwise it felt like yet another open world game.
I really enjoyed the sub stories exposed by the audio video clips etc and the overarching story. Curious how his new game turns out

Welp, hopefully if his story was good a Neil Druckmann doesn't sweep in to "complete" Horizon 2's via throwing out the initial script and trying to do their "own thing".

The overall plotline and beat-for-beat plot points (and narrative themes) would be complete by this stage if not earlier. However, they could still be writing out parts of the dialog script for the latter sections of the story, and of course doing the VA recording work, too.

I don't think either of those two parts are complete yet.

Last edited:
Heavily ripped off from the first mass effect. Its masked well enough for most people not to notice but since I played horizon not too long after playing ME, most of the plot and twists happen in exactly the same way as mass effect. I can go into spoilers if you want.

So him leaving is not a big deal. Thanks I'll just check a yt summary

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Shit. Hoping the side quests and everything are much better than they were in the first game. Not expecting the game until early 2022 anyway so we'll see how this plays out.

If there's something these last few months have shown us, its how frequently people move from studio to studio. Not like half the staff walked out on the studio.
Tbf this has always been the case. People in every industry move jobs constantly, doesn't always have to be because 'something' happened.
It's just become more public knowledge the past few years as media attempts to make these things out to be a big deal.

yurinka

I assume that the studio he joined is Ubisoft Barcelona, because he already did work at Ubisoft and it's the only big AAA open world studio I remember in the city. This studio is publicly known to be working on Rainbow 6 Siege, Beyond Good & Evil 2 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla and who knows if in more titles too: https://twitter.com/UbiBarcelona

Then we also have in Barcelona other studios like Novarama (the guys who did Invizimals for Sony), working the indie AA Killsquad (already available on Steam Early Access) and in another project, but I think it's a smaller mobile game. Then there are indie studios who did a very successful game (Nomada Studio with Gris, Linceworks with Aragami or Piccolo Studio with Arise: A Simple Story) and may try to do something bigger for the next project, but I assume it would be still relatively small, in an indie/AA level. I don't see them going AAA open world.

And finally we have people like Riot who did open a small studio and as of now they did eSports stuff but I think they planned to do development too in the future. Then there's THQ Nordic Barcelona, that as we publicly know is working on the Gothic remake and I'd say the team isn't too big.

Then, in addition to a ton of small indie studios doing cool things -but obviusly not AAA open world games-, in Barcelona there are several big mobile gaming studios (King, Social Point, Ubisoft Barcelona Mobile, Gameloft, Outfit7, Zeptolab, IGG, Scopely, Digital Legends...), some of who make super successful games for mobile with huge teams. AAA mobile games, but not open world games.

Perhaps the story and narrative is complete, and his contract is up

So moves on.......
They target to release that big ass game next year (which I assume due to the typical delays and specially now having the pandemic means they'll release it on 2022) so yes, the narrative/story part must be pretty much done. Maybe only there are some little tweaks or additions that others can do. I assume he already completed his job.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

He has done such an amazing work with Horizon and he helped recruit the entire writing department for Guerrilla Games. So I think Guerrilla would be good. Wish him all the best for his next

Aion002

I don't want to be mean.... But Horizon story was one the weakest point in the game... Extremely boring... Maybe that's a good thing?

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
From my memories of the HZD Noclip doc, the other GG devs praised his work a lot in improving the original skeleton of the game’s quests and overarching storyline.

Hopefully HZD2 storywork is mostly done at this point and he’s passed on some of his skills to the other GG writers.
HFW is rumored to release Q1 2021.
He probably already completed his work and is moving on to new stuff.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
YEAH! Another one for Xbox..... chalk it up! /S

unMyTZF.jpg

Top Bottom