• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Gonzalez(Narrative Director) on Horizon Zero Dawn 1 and 2 has left

BlackM1st

Banned
I completely forgot H story and characters. Not a good sign. Game is nothing more than an eye candy 4 me. "MC is fugly". That's the only thing I remember. Oh, and that cool futuristic costume being totally wasted design wise and being given to you the very moment before the final fight. Ugh.

sobaka770

Banned
Damn shame, he made a great world and story for the first game. Great talent.

Hope is that he finished work on sequel and maybe the whole universe is not fully formed so for next 5 years he's noe needed at Gorilla anymore.

nowhat

Does that mean HZD 2 is all most complete or did he leave in the middle of development?
He was the narrative director - you can bet the narrative is done way before the game (or individual story points even) is completed. So, pretty impossible to tell how complete the game is at this point.

ZywyPL

Banned
If there's something these last few months have shown us, its how frequently people move from studio to studio. Not like half the staff walked out on the studio.

That's how IT works in general, if you know how to code you can code anything, work for anyone, in every branch not just video games. It's like racing drivers switching between not only different teams but different race types/organizations like F1, WRC, WTCC and so on, they just know how to drive fast, that's their skill, and can do it for anyone with big enough wallet. Not to mention people simply burn out by working on the same title years after years after years - HZD was in the works for almost a decade, dunno at what point he joined it, but imagine working on a single game for half a decade or so, only to get ordered to work on the same game again afterwards, which will take another half a decade... Even Kojima eventually got sick and tired of making MGS. And I think we will see many such departures in the future from a single-title studios like Coalition, Studio Santa Monica etc. from highly positioned personas, simply because they'll need a breath of fresh air and work on something completely new, to let loose their creativity.

Aion002

Your dick is extremely boring:lollipop_persevering:
That's rude!

Maybe?

I don't know.... Boring is fine.... Could be worse.....

Im about halfway through and enjoying the story. Gameplay tho, isn't anything special.
I agree that the gameplay against humans is meh and travelling is ok....But fighting against machines is awesome and the world is great. While the story to me was so uninteresting that every time someone started talking I was:

200.gif

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought HZD's story was excellent but I don't think it is something that this one guy is uniquely capable of.

recursive

Heavily ripped off from the first mass effect. Its masked well enough for most people not to notice but since I played horizon not too long after playing ME, most of the plot and twists happen in exactly the same way as mass effect. I can go into spoilers if you want.
Please do. I would love to read your analysis.

hyperbertha

Please do. I would love to read your analysis.
Aloy/Shepard survived a disastrous event (the Proving/Akuze incident) and is chosen by the Matriarchs/Citadel Council to become the Seeker/Spectre, a title that grants special rights, extra freedom and immunity from the more mundane laws of the society.

Aloy/Shepard discover Helis/Saren are mere pawns of a far more ancient foe called Hades/Sovereign that has simply appealed to Helis/Saren's ideals by saying what they want to hear and are using them to amass the power and armies (Eclipse/Geth) required to carry out its plans.

Further investigation and tips from allies lead Aloy/Shepard to the Old one Hologram/Prothean Beacon and learn where they need to go next and understand what caused the extinction i.e the Faro Plague/Reapers.

Aloy/Shepard thus head to All-Mother Mountain/Ilos Prothean Facility and meets an ancient AI called Gaia/Vigil which was created by the Old ones/Protheans with the task of guiding the new races and preventing them from making the same mistakes that caused extinction.

The Zero Dawn Scientists\Prothean Ilos Scientists survived the extinction and sacrificed themselves in order to aid the future races against the Faro Plague/Reapers. Gaia/Vigil explains that in order to prevent another extinction, Hades/Sovereign must be stopped from getting to the Spire/Citadel Relay, which is its true goal.

The Spire/Citadel Relay is an ancient artifact that reactivates and recalls the dormant Faro Plague/Reapers and thus triggers the extinction event all over again.

Using help from multiple Tribes/Races and allies gathered throughout their mission, Aloy/Shepard is able to kill or convince Helis/Saren and stop Hades/Sovereign once and for all.

These are only the major plot points in the story, but I can go even further into the details if you are not convinced yet, and they also play out in the exact same way. Its too much to be a coincidence.

MrS

Banned
HFW story will have been finished months ago if the game releases next year. Highly doubt the door is closed on him returning for the third game.

Fbh

A shame, hopefully they can get someone skilled to replace him.
I really enjoyed the world and plot of HDZ and, maybe more importantly, it was a massive step up in writing and Storytelling for Guerilla. Killzone had a nice backstory but the actual plot in the games was trash.

Interesting. I've not played HZD. Was the story anything above 7/10?

For videogame standards? Sure.

Entroyp

Interesting. I've not played HZD. Was the story anything above 7/10?

10/10 for me. It got me hunting for the audio devices and vantage points so I could learn a bit more about how things went to shit so fast.

Plus I watched all the videos from that YouTube channel that specializes in HZD lore.

Last edited:

nowhat

10/10 for me. It got me hunting for the audio devices and vantage points so I could learn a bit more about how things went to shit so fast.
The vantage points are the only collectible I can recall in a long time where there was actually a point to collecting them, the backstory behind them is quite interesting (and harrowing).

Just make sure you read the full text log, the audio snippet you get automatically is just a small part of it.

Entroyp

The vantage points are the only collectible I can recall in a long time where there was actually a point to collecting them, the backstory behind them is quite interesting (and harrowing).

Just make sure you read the full text log, the audio snippet you get automatically is just a small part of it.

Yup, I did. I read the whole text files from the audio recordings as well. The story reminded me to the matrix a lot, but with a very interesting twist.

Tomeru

Aloy/Shepard survived a disastrous event (the Proving/Akuze incident) and is chosen by the Matriarchs/Citadel Council to become the Seeker/Spectre, a title that grants special rights, extra freedom and immunity from the more mundane laws of the society.

Aloy/Shepard discover Helis/Saren are mere pawns of a far more ancient foe called Hades/Sovereign that has simply appealed to Helis/Saren's ideals by saying what they want to hear and are using them to amass the power and armies (Eclipse/Geth) required to carry out its plans.

Further investigation and tips from allies lead Aloy/Shepard to the Old one Hologram/Prothean Beacon and learn where they need to go next and understand what caused the extinction i.e the Faro Plague/Reapers.

Aloy/Shepard thus head to All-Mother Mountain/Ilos Prothean Facility and meets an ancient AI called Gaia/Vigil which was created by the Old ones/Protheans with the task of guiding the new races and preventing them from making the same mistakes that caused extinction.

The Zero Dawn Scientists\Prothean Ilos Scientists survived the extinction and sacrificed themselves in order to aid the future races against the Faro Plague/Reapers. Gaia/Vigil explains that in order to prevent another extinction, Hades/Sovereign must be stopped from getting to the Spire/Citadel Relay, which is its true goal.

The Spire/Citadel Relay is an ancient artifact that reactivates and recalls the dormant Faro Plague/Reapers and thus triggers the extinction event all over again.

Using help from multiple Tribes/Races and allies gathered throughout their mission, Aloy/Shepard is able to kill or convince Helis/Saren and stop Hades/Sovereign once and for all.

These are only the major plot points in the story, but I can go even further into the details if you are not convinced yet, and they also play out in the exact same way. Its too much to be a coincidence.

Thats the most I've seen any butcher a story ever. There is much more nuance to both games, and one friggin' huge difference between the two that makes it very much not a rip off.

And ME2 is my favorite game of all time (well, one of my top 3). I fucking baught 3 copies of ME3 (one normal for ps3, one CE, and one for pc). Boy was I taught a lesson there.

Anyway, most of these similarities are universal to most plots of this type. HZD managed to be as fresh as it got, and I really can't tell why you think one is a ripoff of the other. I seriously can't.

A major point of difference is that in one game mankind brought extinction on themselves, while in the other its a race of highly advanced space race. How can you say both are the same?

I remember the thread of when they hired him. I'm pretty a lot of people praised this move because of the story he worked on in New Vegas. Having played Horizon, the story really wasn't that good. A lot of that had to do with the boring ass characters.

yurinka

Fix'd.

I didn't know there was a Barcelona based Studio doing an AAA game.

Really looking forward to it.
Smilegate is a new one, they're opening it, I just realized they were here.

There's other AAA studio: Ubisoft Barcelona (AC Vallhalla, BGE2, R6S...), who are moving/recently moved from Sant Cugat to a 4000m2 office in the Telefonica tower, next to Fòrum de Barcelona. It's the white building next to the Primavera Sound entrance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom