• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Kerry will close 58 million acres of land - your land

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a card I received in the mail that was paid for by the Repub. National Committee:

"John Kerry vows to CLOSE our National parks and Public Lands to snowmobilers. On his website, Kerry calls snowmobiles "noisy and polluting.

Want to enjoy the outdoors? Kerry Says "Keep Out!"

Kerry's extreme position not only CLOSES our National Forests to snowmobiles, but also
CLOSED to boats
CLOSED to bicycles
CLOSED to camping trailers

"KEEP OUT"

There are bigger things going on in this election than this. I seriously am disgusted by the current administration.

I'm not sure how valid or serious this card is - I haven't made it a priority to review Kerry's stance on how we destroy our National Parks - but damn, I didn't even think this was an issue. Hmm...what is more important to me? Hmmm....Global Proliferation of our bully ways of "liberating" while severly impairing our homeland security and overall approval rating across the globe VS. Not being able to ride around on my (non-existant) snowmobile in a National Forest? Fuck, this is a perplexing dilemma...

xsarien

daedsiluap
Forgotten Ancient said:
From a card I received in the mail that was paid for by the Repub. National Committee:

"John Kerry vows to CLOSE our National parks and Public Lands to snowmobilers. On his website, Kerry calls snowmobiles "noisy and polluting.

Well, they are.

Pimpwerx

They are noisy, and they are polluting. It's no different than people trying to close certain Florida waterways to boat traffic to save the manatees. I actually agree with that rule, and I think snowmobiling is awesome. But there are a million and one frozen lakes and lots of outback terrain that you can go snowmobiling in that doesn't require you being on a national park. PEACE.

olimario

Banned
What's wrong with my boat?
3.jpg

Like someone else stated, I'm pretty positive the "bicycle" and "boats" listed in the card were pertaining to motorcycles/mopeds and gas powered boats.

Yeah...I know it sucks for those outdoorsy types, but there are a million places outside of National Parks that these things can be used.

It's just another attempt to put a simple and quick label on John Kerry.

- John Kerry's a BABY KILLER (pro-choice)
- John Kerry's a flip-flopper
- John Kerry is against Snowmobiles!

Outside of the first one - which is a huge, common, and unchanging issue - these are just token slogans to prevent people from actually thinking about what's going on.

I was talking to a good friend in Texas the other day, and I asked her who she's voting for. I was prompted to ask mainly because we were talking about abortion, religion, the war, yada yada. It was amazing to see that everything she said seemed to jive with Kerry's - yet she said "there's no way in hell I'm voting for Kerry". When I asked why, she said without jest "Because John Kerry is a FLIP FLOPPER". After I asked her if she knew what those "flip flops" entailed, she said she had to go.

Jesus

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well.... at least he doesn't want to clear cut it....

Phoenix

Couple of things here.

First off its not YOUR land.
Next up, the language speaks specifically to keep noisy polluting vehicles that are dangerous to the environment out of the park. Obviously those that don't do this are not under scrutiny.

Couple of things here.

First off its not YOUR land.
Next up, the language speaks specifically to keep noisy polluting vehicles that are dangerous to the environment out of the park. Obviously those that don't do this are not under scrutiny.

My title, including the "your land", was directly quoted from the front of the card I received.

Is the "language" located on Kerry's website? I'd like to read more into this to see if it's more than just taking Kerry's otherwise reasonable words out of context. While it's common to do things like that during a campaign, This Republican Bush campaign are notorious for it.

Phoenix

Forgotten Ancient said:
My title, including the "your land", was directly quoted from the front of the card I received.

Is the "language" located on Kerry's website? I'd like to read more into this to see if it's more than just taking Kerry's otherwise reasonable words out of context. While it's common to do things like that during a campaign, This Republican Bush campaign are notorious for it.

"John Kerry will reinstate the Clinton administration's phase out of noisy and polluting snowmobiles which have been overrunning some of our most precious national lands including Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. While snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles and jet skis have their place, they do not mix with sensitive wildlife resources and our most treasured wild places."

"John Kerry will reinstate the Clinton administration's phase out of noisy and polluting snowmobiles which have been overrunning some of our most precious national lands including Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. While snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles and jet skis have their place, they do not mix with sensitive wildlife resources and our most treasured wild places."

Thanks for the info. Do you have a source for the information? Work is slow today and I could stand to do a bit more reading before the election, even though I'm more than thoroghly convinced who I'm voting for.

pnjtony

I was staying at a lake house this summer for about a week or so in Canada and they only allowed trolling motors on the boats so it was wake free and very quiet. I wanna move to canada, you can't do shit in the lakes around here uless you just wanna speed around and fuck shit up.

Snowmobiles on National Parks is simply ridiculous. Those things emit 100X more pollution than a car, fuck up wildlife with their loud disturbances in the time when they need to be left alone the most (winter), and dump thousands of gallons of gasoline into the ground because of their inability to completely combust the all the fuel they consume.

Most of the groomed snowmobile paths in the US are not on National Park land. Go find some BLM land and go to town, following local and state regulations, of course. National Parks and Forests are reserved for a *very* good reason-to preserve what's there, and to allow people the chance to enjoy the habitat and natural features in a relatively undisturbed manner. Snowmobiles ruin all of that, they are noisy, pollutiing, and break any atmosphere of actually being out in pristine land.

This is classic right-wing "take it, rape it, it's yours" Coulter mentality. For a movement that loves to talk about personal responsiblity and constantly talks about the worth of good values, they sure do everything they can to be a poor steward of our environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom