• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Romero's new game is completed and will be announced on December 10th

Helios

Romero Games (John Romero's dev studio) sent out an email today revealing that their new project just completed production and will be announced December 10th (DOOM's 25th Anniversary)
jGQlrzE.png

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If they just completed it then release it rather than put it up for preorders :p

Last edited:

Helios

Wonder what it is? Some kind of FPS?
If it's the cancelled kickstarter game with Adrian Carmack, than yes.
Romero's first intention to create a new first-person shooter goes back to 2012, when he admitted the idea, on Twitter.[4] Going forward, during 2014, Romero again certified he was creating a new FPS, and said "I haven't made a shooter since 2000 Daikatana. So I'm basically starting to work on another one".[5] In January 2016, few months before Kickstarter campaign, John Romero said about the game "I don't want to talk about it, because it's a really cool idea, an original idea. I've never seen anything like that before".[6]

Romero announced the game's title as Blackroom, on April 25, 2016, and started a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign with an aim of $700,000 to be reached in 32 days.[1][2] The project features John Romero as lead designer and programmer,[2] Adrian Carmack as game artist[2] and Dokken's George Lynch as composer;[1]about Blackroom, Romero said "We're developing exactly the type of game we think a lot of shooter fans want. It's the type of shooter we're known for, and the type of game we love to play ourselves. It's a skillful shooter, from movement to weapon and map mastery".[2]

On April 29, 2016, John Romero cancelled Blackroom's Kickstarter campaign, which stopped at over $131,000, pausing it to develop a Blackroom demo and planning to show that and reopen the campaign in the future.[3]

spcd

So I guess this is the Blackroom game he announced several years ago? Was it 2016 ?
When the Kickstarter of Blackroom was cancelled, Romero was supposed to work on a demo.
That demo never came; but instead there was silence for a few years....

I'm actually hoping for a game based on the Doom engine! Maybe he saw the success of Ion Maiden which was based on the Duke3D engine.

Romero actually made a doom map in 2016 that showed that he is talented. I didn't get the same feeling from the maps in Daikatana. So I'm thinking there is something special with pseudo 3D engines like the Doom & Duke3D engine.

Zewp

If they just completed it then release it rather than put it up for preorders :p

I was thinking the same thing. For most companies it would be suicide to launch without marketing it first, but this is Romero. It'll probably sell even if it's shit.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I’d legitimately like a Daikatana remake. Never played like the original but it seemed like a cool concept that was rushed out way too early.

dirthead

Banned
It's kind of interesting the way things turn out. For a while there, Romero seemed like the washed up has been and Carmack was trucking along, but now Carmack's working on boring media player apps for shitty VR devices no one will ever use, and Romero's still working on actual games.

What a sad misappropriation of resources both their careers ended up being. So many years wasted that they could have spent teamed up producing good video games.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It's kind of interesting the way things turn out. For a while there, Romero seemed like the washed up has been and Carmack was trucking along, but now Carmack's working on boring media player apps for shitty VR devices no one will ever use, and Romero's still working on actual games.

What a sad misappropriation of resources both their careers ended up being. So many years wasted that they could have spent teamed up producing good video games.
So, now that SIGIL is a thing, where do you stand now?

Alexios

What a disappointment. A commercial ultimate doom map pack called Sigil. Yaaay.

I'll probably play it depending on word of mouth and price but eh.

Dude is merely living off his past fame going by their store just having all kinds of Doom stuff he signs and increases their price exorbitantly.

Off to play DUSK which just released its last campaign and got out of early access.

Last edited:

Alexios

Oh okay, that's better then. Jumped the gun there eh? The base physical isn't so bad either depending on the actual quality of the thing :p

Is there a thread for that or do I keep bumping this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom