• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp: "actors making music off the back of movies is 'sickening'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

"That whole idea for me is a sickening thing, it's always just made me sick," Depp told reporters in Berlin on Sunday before the world premiere of his latest film Mortdecai.

"I've been very lucky to play on friends' records and it's still going. Music is still part of my life.

"But you won't be hearing The Johnny Depp Band. That won't ever exist."

Depp, an accomplished guitar player, has recorded with the likes of Oasis and Marilyn Manson in the past and he performed on stage with the latter at the Hollywood's Roxy Theatre in November.

Scarlett Johansson, Russell Crowe, Robert Downey Jnr and Depp's Mortdecai co-star Gwyneth Paltrow are among those whose musical endeavours have gained notoriety through their acting fame.

Depp, though, is content in being a low-key musician.

"The kind of luxury now is, anybody with a certain amount of of success, if you have a kind of musical being, you can go out and start a band and capitalise on your work in other areas," the Pirates of the Caribbean star said.

"But I hate the idea, 'come see me play the guitar because you've seen me in 12 movies'."

"It shouldn't be (that way). You want the people who are listening to the music to only be interested in the music."

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...-sickening-20150120-12tsku.html#ixzz3Pb9yflY1

Kinda hypocritical if you ask me. He doesn't like the idea of actors using their fame to make music, but yet he's totally okay with playing on his friend's records and in their shows when the only reason anyone will ever be interested is because "Hey, that's Johnny Depp on stage with Marilyn Manson."

I think the crux is that it isn't announced that JD is going to be playing. Isn't it usually a surprise? "Oh hey look who showed up!".

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...-sickening-20150120-12tsku.html#ixzz3Pb9yflY1

Kinda hypocritical if you ask me. He doesn't like the idea of actors using their fame to make music, but yet he's totally okay with playing on his friend's records and in their shows when the only reason anyone will ever be interested is because "Hey, that's Johnny Depp on stage with Marilyn Manson."

Huh? Seems to me he keeps it low key, just as he says it should be. Very few people have any idea that he has any kind of musical inclination.

He is only occasionally contributing to his friends' albums and playing a few riffs.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Scarlett Johansson, Russell Crowe, Robert Downey Jnr and Depp's Mortdecai co-star Gwyneth Paltrow

literally had no idea these people were also musicians/have a music career too. I'm guessing this is more relevant in America?

i want to see him and gosling on stage playing guitars and just grinning at the audience after strumming a c and d chord a few times

Scarlet covered fucking Tom Waits and it was LMAO.

RDJ made soft ass music before his career came back. I remember him on Oprah shilling that pap.

Crowe takes his music super serious and used to force, when he had more clout, poor staff members on his movies to listen to that awful shit.

Keanu makes bad music but he's unpretentious and a good guy all around.

I can honestly say this is the first time I've heard of Scarlett Johansson or RDJ doing musical activities of any kind. Whereas it isn't that big of a leap of imagination to imagine Depp doing it.

Akahige

If people gave shit about that kind of thing then Russell Crowe's and Keanu Reeves' shitty bands would be still around today.

Oreoleo

I get that he doesn't want actors sort of bastardizing music by making it be about themselves rather than the music, but does anyone actively do this? Disney starlets notwithstanding.

Does he think that people shouldn't be allowed to switch careers? Once an actor always an actor? Seems kinda dumb to me.

Also he played with Manson on Halloween not "in November" as the article says what kind of shit journalism is this :mad:

The Beard

Yeah, no. This is the first I've ever heard about Depp being a musician. Also, you don't accidentally attend a Marilyn Manson concert. You go to see Marilyn Because you're a fan of his. If Depp is there playing guitar that's just a "bonus".

I've heard of all the other actors and their bands because they go on shows like Conan to promote their music in between movies and it is pretty lame IMO. Depp has kept it very low key.

Kaladin

All I know is the only recent celebrity musician I've liked is Zooey Deschanel, and even that is kind of novelty.

Oreoleo

Yeah, no. This is the first I've ever heard about Depp being a musician.

Honestly of all the people mentioned in this thread Depp is the only one I previously knew had any kind of music career (edit: ^okay and Deschanel). So it kind of strikes me as odd that he's the one complaining about actors doing this.

Flo_Evans

What about she & him? I bought the record before I knew it was Zoe.

Bruce Willis and his band (and others like him) are totally lame though.

Oxirane

What about this guy?

C4RiCtj.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pG_3jZxzlo

Raistlin

idk about that. He never went out of his way to promote P or other bands he was in, I'm not sure most people were even aware he played guitar/bass with most of them ... so I don't think playing with some friends at all fits. It's not like he hasn't put any work in or has no history of writing, recording, and touring.

And to his point, he's never used his gig as an actor to try and get a song on the soundtrack ... even though he actually was a real musician back in the day. If anything his history makes his point stronger, not weaker or hypocritical

For reference ... he's been in bands and playing most of his life ...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mlew15/check-out-19-year-old-johnny-depp-playing-guitar-h0se#.rbkWazEqGp

That's him playing lead at 19 in one of his earliest bands. He was actually pursuing the music thing before he started acting.

GamerJM

Banned
This is such a stupid thing to be mad about. It's a good financial decision for yourself, why wouldn't you do it if you're talented at music? This is like complaining that ads exist.

samn

This is such a stupid thing to be mad about. It's a good financial decision for yourself, why wouldn't you do it if you're talented at music? This is like complaining that ads exist.

I think advertising is a much greater evil.

Raistlin

I think it's more that he's pretty serious about music.

I would not be at all shocked to hear that most musicians feel this sort of thing is pretty gross. If you haven't put the work in ...

Raistlin

johnny depp you've cheapened acting enough please stay away from music
He was doing music before acting ... and has continued doing it all along, time permitting. The fact you don't know that kind of proves his point :p

rude

Banned
Jared Leto's music is so fucking bad. I think he even punched elijah wood when he said he didn't like his band.

Trike

That's dumb, just because you are famous for acting doesn't mean you can't have other interests. Plus the article lists RDJ which is stupid, because he has been singing for decades and his first album came out at one of the lowest points in his career. Or what about people who have been doing both over the years like Jared Leto? Or musicians who cross over into acting, like say Ice-T? Or sports stars who do the same? Or how about his co-star from Mortdecai, Gwyneth Paltrow? Is this just his way to discreetly and publicly say "fuck you" to her?

Johnny Depp is 51 years old now, I guess this is his first "Old Man Yells at Cloud" moment. Or he is just making almost entirely shit movies for the past few years and is growing resentment towards others.

Raistlin

Shots fired at Jared Leto?
Jared Leto's music is so fucking bad. I think he even punched elijah wood when he said he didn't like his band.
He should not be brought into this. He too was doing music all along, and didn't get really famous as an actor until after the band. Not to mention he attempted to make a point to not use celebrity to push it forward.

This is definitely not the sort of person Depp is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom