• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp: "actors making music off the back of movies is 'sickening'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Isn't the dumber thing the people that go see them perform just cuz they were in a few movies?

If you''re an actor and want to cash in on that fame by pretending to be a rock star, more power to you. I don't see why Depp should care one way or the other.

Raistlin

Isn't the dumber thing the people that go see them perform just cuz they were in a few movies?

If you''re an actor and want to cash in on that fame by pretending to be a rock star, more power to you. I don't see why Depp should care one way or the other.

While the context isn't shown in the article ... I'm 99% this wasn't some out-of-left-field comment. Seems pretty obvious he was directly asked about it since he actually is a musician and actor.

As an actual musician though, I can see why he cares. It's like anything. If you're serious about the craft of something, you're gonna get offended when people don't put in the work and abuse celebrity to make a quick buck or increase their fame. It shits on those that do actually work and take it seriously.

The Beard

The most embarassing example of this that I've seen was Billy Bob Thornton. He was at some talk show with his shit band, he was getting interviewed and he refused to answer any questions about his acting/movies, and he was getting pissed off when they were asked.

It's like dude, the only fucking reason they're interviewing you is because you're a famous actor. No one gives a shit about your amateur music career.

Raistlin

The most embarassing example of this that I've seen was Billy Bob Thornton. He was at some talk show with his shit band, he was getting interviewed and he refused to answer any questions about his acting/movies, and he was getting pissed off when they were asked.

It's like dude, the only fucking reason they're interviewing you is because you're a famous actor. No one gives a shit about your amateur music career.
To be fair to him, at least he was trying to avoid tying his acting to it.

The question becomes, is he serious about his music? Does he put in the work? If so, he shouldn't be grouped in this. It's not his fault he's famous ... that would be implying once you have celebrity, you are not allowed to ever pursue another art. That isn't fair either ... and not what Depp is getting at (granted I have no idea if Thornton is or isn't serious).

I agree. Zooey makes me sick.
Yeah I don't think Depp means someone like her. She's been doing music as long as acting.

rude

Banned
He should not be brought into this. He too was doing music all along, and didn't get really famous as an actor until after the band. Not to mention he attempted to make a point to not use celebrity to push it forward.

This is definitely not the sort of person Depp is talking about.
And? His music is still awful.

nel e nel

I used to think like this too, but then I realized that everyone in 'old Hollywood' were kind of everymen, they would sing, dance and act.

Look at folks like Mel Brooks and Bob Hope. Hell, even James Cagney got down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOoNOs8Ql28

Christopher Walken came from a Broadway song and dance background, and Jerry Orbach (Law & Order) as well.

Alot of these folks are all around performers, and it just happens that acting was the one that took off.

Prototype

He sounds really upset about it. If the music ducks people won't listen regardless, so I don't see the point in getting angry.

The same could be said for celebrities leveraging their fame for anything, books, clothes, whatever. Is it all sickening, or just music?

Loxley

I don't know, I thought Seth Macfarlane and Hugh Laurie's albums were decent. I like that they both focused on genres that aren't exactly at the forefront of mainstream music (big band and blues, respectively). So it's not like they were cashing in on the new hot thing. Then again, part of me wishes Hugh Laurie would return to musical comedy since he's so damn good at it. His songs from A Bit of Fry and Laurie are some of the most memorable parts from that show.

Mystery
Hey Jude "Cover"
I'm in Love With Steffi Graf
Protest Song
Little Girl
America
Too Long Johnny
Kickin' Ass

nel e nel

I think he means Jennifer Lawrence? Who sings in Hunger games and her song is for sale?

Ah. Well, I'm still kinda whatevs on that. Probably more likely the studio pushed that to increase revenue for the franchise than it coming from her.

I thought the Lorde song was a bigger deal, no?

Also, having worked at a publishing company, getting a song on a movie soundtrack is big deal as far as generating income and interest is concerned. Granted these are musicians trying to make a name for themselves and not actors trying to parlay their popularity into music, but to each their own.

literally had no idea these people were also musicians/have a music career too. I'm guessing this is more relevant in America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1DRTnP0gY8

COxqo8I.png
see above :)

MIMIC

Banned
Scarlett Johansson, Russell Crowe, Robert Downey Jnr and Depp's Mortdecai co-star Gwyneth Paltrow are among those whose musical endeavours have gained notoriety through their acting fame.

COxqo8I.png

GamerJM

Banned
I think it's more that he's pretty serious about music.

I would not be at all shocked to hear that most musicians feel this sort of thing is pretty gross. If you haven't put the work in ...

Well, yeah, of course people who put in disproportionate amounts of work are more successful than others. That's not the fault of the musicians themselves, that's the fault of the fact that we live in a society based around capitalism.

Raistlin

Jennifer Lopez came from music and dance first. Her breakout role was Selena where she did all her own singing.
:p

JLaw. Though as you say, it's unknown if that was really due to her prodding or the studio looking to capitalize. If it's the latter, the blame shifts to them.

Raistlin

Well, yeah, of course people who put in disproportionate amounts of work are more successful than others. That's not the fault of the musicians themselves, that's the fault of the fact that we live in a society based around capitalism.

Obviously he's not referring to musicians. Cutting a single or an album to make a quick buck based on your celebrity doesn't make one a musician.

nel e nel

Meh, that's also fueled by the fallacy that if you work hard, you'll be successful without accounting for luck and knowing the right people. Music is no different than any other business in that regard.

Cuburt

I used to think like this too, but then I realized that everyone in 'old Hollywood' were kind of everymen, they would sing, dance and act.

Look at folks like Mel Brooks and Bob Hope. Hell, even James Cagney got down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOoNOs8Ql28

Christopher Walken came from a Broadway song and dance background, and Jerry Orbach (Law & Order) as well.

Alot of these folks are all around performers, and it just happens that acting was the one that took off.

True, and this is not even accounting for jobs these people have as not just performers/entertainers but work behind the cameras as writers, directors, producers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom