• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow plays Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

Have to admit, I'd really enjoy a stream of someone playing Braid or The Witness the same way he played Zelda in this video.

Plum

You could do those things, and I probably would if my friend wasn't having fun. If I invited my friend to an event and they weren't having fun, I'd happily go somewhere else or do something else. I wouldn't just tell them to leave, that's ridiculous.

There's a difference between not having fun and being a cynical ass. Why should someone who is not having fun because of a friend's actions keep said friend around? If a friend wasn't even trying to enjoy themselves whilst making you frustrated what fun is there in that?

There's a difference between not having fun and being a cynical ass. Why should someone who is not having fun because of a friend's actions keep said friend around?

Sounds more like he got his friend playing a game he wasnt interested in, and when the friend in question didnt like it and starts messing around he loses the plot and tells him to get out of his house.

Its actually the best thing ive read on gaf.

Sounds more like he got his friend playing a game he wasnt interested in, and when the friend in question didnt like it and starts messing around he loses the plot and tells him to get out of his house.

i think we should change the title and make this thread about this story! Far more enjoyable

ToonLink

I turned on pro mode the very second I could and played that way for the entire game. I didn't have any issues at all.

I can see how it might be a little overwhelming for someone going in completely blind, though.

Plum

I mean, if you're gonna subscribe to that specific reading go ahead. However, ypu using phrases like "loses the plot," points more to you wanting an epic GAF fail to laugh at instead of wanting to actually look at the situation described.

I mean, if you're gonna subscribe to that specific reading go ahead. However, ypu using phrases like "loses the plot," points more to you wanting an epic GAF fail to laugh at instead of wanting to actually look at the situation described.

how else can I describe kicking a "friend" out of your house because they didnt take Zelda seriously? the plot was indeed lost.

Chauzu

It sounds like you are reading something into this that isn't there.

I don't see why we not give the guy the benefit of the doubt and not assume he is a Zelda fanboy maniac who can't handle critcism to his fav game.

Putting his profession into question? You are reaching here... like I said in your previous message I have played his games, I know who the guy is and yes in regards to Braid at least I can say its unique and worthwhile. The fact that it made an incredible impression to me that this guy had a serious hard time of understanding on of the simplest game mechanics of our age, has nothing to do with the quality or not of the stuff he has created...

And the fact that due to his inability?boredom? to invest his time properly with this game and to quickly jump to blaming game design here and there without even understanding simple concepts of it (that are even told to him via tutorial), I am sorry but I find it unacceptable as criticism and thus I consider his opinion on this game not valid for my liking.
Reaching? You literally said that you find the fact that he makes video games baffling due to his performance in the stream. How is that *not* questioning his profession

You can find his opinion of the game invalid, idc. But don't act like that's all you've done

The mental image of that poster quietly seething as their alleged friend breaks the third weapon made my day tbh

C7iocjMXwAEFTUS.jpg

silva1991

Regardless of the way he plays, his commentary wasn't enjoyable.

Fuck that cycle. WW was shit in 2002, it never stopped being shit between then and now.
Same goes for Skyward Sword, it wasn't a particularly great game, that hasn't changed.

Are you saying that BoTW is also shit, because it's inferior to WW?

WW is till the best in the series.

Plum

how else can I describe kicking a "friend" out of your house because they didnt take Zelda seriously? the plot was indeed lost.

Again, would you say the same of other activities or, because this is about videogames and therefore "more GAF," are you just blowing this situation out of the water for GAF laughs?

The mental image of that poster quietly seething as their alleged friend breaks the third weapon made my day tbh

See? People want that sweet GAF memery instead of actually thinking why someone might not want to be around a friend whose being a cynical ass.

Majukun

Cooking definitely needs to be explained better.

That said, I don't think there needs to be a pop-up that explains things like that magnesis can't pick up rocks.

cooking is just badly designed..it's a pool with the depth of a puddle, so it's kind of good that it isn't explained, so at least you kind of enjoy it the first part of the game,until you realize how the whole system works...it's kind of like telltale games...you don't really have a choice,but the game makes you think you have,and you can get some enjoyment out of that...if the game told you from the beginning that whatever choice you make doesn't really matter,you would probably not play the game at all.

FinalAres

It is weird that Blow basically calls the game shit. Narrative on GAF is basically either, greatest game of all time, or its good but it's not the greatest game of all time.

I don't think I've seen anyone actually call it bad.

If anyone calls the game bad I think we should ask them to leave.

Ostinatto

Are you seriously trying to be irritating now? When did I say he is not allowed to have an opinion? I just said that his opinion, is one that I will not consider.

In other words:

My opinion is that his opinion for this game is not valid enough for me to take it seriously, basis the way he played, the way he complained about it etc etc.

It is my personal thing which opinion I accept and which one I discard. And his opinion about this game, is one I discard.

I was not quoting you personally on this one, i was quoting all the people on this thread that think the same way.

Is like if Miyamoto one day start streaming Street Fighter V, and he starts criticizing the game, but he can´t do a simple Hadoken, and people will start saying, oh he is not qualified enough to make a valid opinion.... come one!! is fucking Shigeru Miyamoto, just listen to the guy talk, whatever he say xD

Miyamoto and Blow are both industry veteran ( i know that Miyamoto has a ton more exp. than Blow), but my point remains the same.

Again, would you say the same of other activities or, because this is about videogames and therefore "more GAF," are you just blowing this situation out of the water for GAF laughs?

See? People want that sweet GAF memery instead of actually thinking why someone might not want to be around a friend whose being a cynical ass.

Did you actually read the original post that started all of this? Nothing about it sounded like he was being a 'cynical ass' as you keep saying. He just sounded like he wasn't having fun with the game. Not only that, but he wasn't asked to leave until AFTER he stopped playing the game.

'Come on, swords break after a few hits. You know he can't swim! Stop falling off the tower! That's it Jerry, I want you to leave, I can't put up with this shit any more'. It's something I'd expect from Sheldon in BBT.

Dude what are you doing

Like are you *really* going to get mad at your friends and ask them to leave for not playing a game the 'right way'?

This thread has gone full banana

Majukun

It is weird that Blow basically calls the game shit. Narrative on GAF is basically either, greatest game of all time, or its good but it's not the greatest game of all time.

I don't think I've seen anyone actually call it bad.

If anyone calls the game bad I think we should ask them to leave.

there are people that said they didn't even finish the game..i think it qualifies it as bad in their eyes.

I was not quoting you personally on this one, i was quoting all the people on this thread that think the same way.

Is like if Miyamoto one day start streaming Street Fighter V, and he starts criticizing the game, but he can´t do a simple Hadoken, and people will start saying, oh he is not qualified enough to make a valid opinion.... come one!! is fucking Shigeru Miyamoto, just listen to the guy talk, whatever he say xD

Miyamoto and Blow are both industry veteran ( i know that Miyamoto has a ton more exp. than Blow), but my point remains the same.

If Miyamoto said the only reason anybody praised SFV is because of the franchise name while spending 15 minutes fumbling around with the controller trying to figure out how to jump, I think people would get irked.

Chauzu

Did you actually read the original post that started all of this? Nothing about it sounded like he was being a 'cynical ass' as you keep saying. He just sounded like he wasn't having fun with the game. Not only that, but he wasn't asked to leave until AFTER he stopped playing the game.

Nothing about the post sounded like he was a maniac who couldn't handle criticism of his game too. It was a post open to interpretation and fact is there is no way to call it one way or another. But sure, if it makes you happy, lets assume has is a social wreck who can't handle anyone playing BotW the wrong way, to the point he ends friendships over it.

'Come on, swords break after a few hits. You know he can't swim! Stop falling off the tower! That's it Jerry, I want you to leave, I can't put up with this shit any more'. It's something I'd expect from Sheldon in BBT.

I can write fanfic too!

Original poster has a friend who asked to come over to try that "new Zelda game". He was reluctant, because he knew he didn't really care for the game, and he just wanted to play in peace. But the friend comes over and acts as expected. "Haha look I keep breaking weapons, I'm sure they didn't think of that huh! You can't even dive??? What is this shit game? Let's play a real one!" Original poster, who just wanted to play his new game, wasn't amused to endure this expected outcome and just wants to get on with it, so he asks his friend to leave.

there was no mention of asking if they wanted to do something else.
It just escalates instantly to "get out", which is absolutely hilarious

Nothing about the post sounded like he was a maniac who couldn't handle criticism of his game too. It was a post open to interpretation and fact is there is no way to call it one way or another. But sure, if it makes you happy, lets assume has is a social wreck who can't handle anyone playing BotW the wrong way, to the point he ends friendships over it.

I didn't say he was a maniac who couldn't handle criticism, I just said kicking a friend out of your house for not having fun with a game is sad.

Mister Wolf

He can be Miyamoto all he wants. If he couldn't do a simple hadoken then his opinion on SF as far as quality of gameplay design and mechanics amounts to nothing.

FinalAres

there are people that saiud they didn't even finish the game..i think it qualifies it as bad in their eyes.
It's too big a game for that to be true. I like the game, I'd give it a solid 8/10. But I have some issues with it which has made it hard for me to be motivated to finish it. I've played 30 hours though which is a fair amount.

Majukun

not every game designer is adept on every genre, so..no,i wouldn't listen to miyamoto about fighting games ,much like i wouldn't ask sid meier about platforming.

Nanashrew

Banned

You should check out Miyamoto threads and how people keep saying how he's out of touch and how he needs to stay away from some franchises, or that it's time for him to retire.

I think people got upset when Miyamoto said that they, at Nintendo, mastered Unreal Engine 4 some time last year too. This E3 we now got a new Yoshi game shown, and it's running on Unreal Engine 4.

Plum

Did you actually read the original post that started all of this? Nothing about it sounded like he was being a 'cynical ass' as you keep saying. Not only that, but he wasn't asked to leave until AFTER he stopped playing the game.

The bit about him testing each weapon multiple times to find out when they break and repeating something which clearly failed doesn't exactly point to a reasonable playstyle.

Dude what are you doing

Like are you *really* going to get mad at your friends and ask them to leave for not playing a game the 'right way'?

This thread has gone full banana

Nope, but if they clearly aren't willing to have any semblance of a fun time I wouldn't want to be around them for much longer. Neither of you explained why my two other examples somehow don't count. If you're invited round to an activity and you actively shit up that activity for others why should you be given the benefit of the doubt? Maybe the person didn't want to try something else out because they felt the vibes had been ruined?

I'll drop it there though because we've gotten to the point where I'm implied to be irrational or "bananas."

The bit about him testing each weapon multiple times to find out when they break and repeating something which clearly failed doesn't exactly point to a reasonable playstyle.

What is a 'reasonable playstyle'? For gods sake it's a game, let him play it however he wants. Why would that annoy you?!

valkyre

Reaching? You literally said that you find the fact that he makes video games baffling due to his performance in the stream. How is that *not* questioning his profession

You can find his opinion of the game invalid, idc. But don't act like that's all you've done

English is not my native speaking language but I do believe I am doing a good job with it.

Nevertheless, maybe I am using the word "baffling" wrong,but I went to check it and I really dont see anything pointing out to actually questioning something, rather than having a very strong puzzling impression of something inexplicable, or even confusing.

Maybe in a sentence it takes different meaning and I do not know of it, but I use this word when something makes very big impression on me and has me puzzled/confused in a sense.

I wouldnt mind knowing wrong usage. I explained in writing what I meant and it was simply an incredible impression of the fact that a game designer had a very hard time to understand how to drop a weapon from the menu. (among several other things)

Chauzu

I'll drop it there though because we've gotten to the point where I'm implied to be irrational or "bananas."

I'll drop it too because the post is formulated in such a way no good info is really there and all you can do is put your own values and ideas into it, so I've come to accept my own version of events might very well be untrue too. I'd be interested to hear more from original poster but until then yeah better drop it lol, way off topic anyway.

So because some people accused him of it I googled "Jon Blow Twitter Zelda" and found that he un-ironically used the "Legend of Belda" fallacy despite him having no opinion on the series nor had he played one in years.

I watched this morning and I knew he wasn't going to like it. Really enjoyed watching him antiplay it and I sent my friend some of the highlights:
These two posts were all I needed to see. Wish they were added to the OP. Not going to bother with the stream. Clearly the guy wanted to hate the game. Antiplay is the perfect term!

WhatNXt

I love this image. Perfect to summarize both how infuriated I am and yet also how amused.

I like Blow, I've watched a few talks he's given developers on YouTube, and he really is an excellent talent. He seems especially so from a design and workflow point of view. It sounds like he's learned a lot from developing by himself or in very small teams. I loved the anecdote he gave about writing to the Doom developers via Usenet or something about their source code, telling them it was shitty, only to realize later that they had good reasons for doing some of the 'wrong' things.

It must be hard to be such an analytical mind and a game developer and to still actually enjoy playing games.

I think if he gave this time he'd get in to it. I must admit, on my first play through, I was a bit lost and thrown by some of the mechanics myself. It really IS like the first Legend of Zelda in that you're almost drowned by options and a sense of not knowing where to go. But once you start building up, and start being able to go anywhere, it becomes really satisfying.

Majukun

I love this image. Perfect to summarize both how infuriated I am and yet also how amused.

I like Blow, I've watched a few talks he's given developers on YouTube, and he really is an excellent talent. He seems especially so from a design and workflow point of view. It sounds like he's learned a lot from developing by himself or in very small teams. I loved the anecdote he gave about writing to the Doom developers via Usenet or something about their source code, telling them it was shitty, only to realize later that they had good reasons for doing some of the 'wrong' things.

It must be hard to be such an analytical mind and a game developer and to still actually enjoy playing games.

I think if he gave this time he'd get in to it. I must admit, on my first play through, I was a bit lost and thrown by some of the mechanics myself. It really IS like the first Legend of Zelda in that you're almost drowned by options and a sense of not knowing where to go. But once you start building up, and start being able to go anywhere, it becomes really satisfying.
well, zelda is indeed "we treat you like an adult: the game", it's kind of the point... and what fans asked for

These two posts were all I needed to see. Wish they were added to the OP. Not going to bother with the stream. Clearly the guy wanted to hate the game. Antiplay is the perfect term!
Oof, yeah, that second post....might have to scale back my empathy points a little. He's either just doing it for some laughs or he really, REALLY doesn't gel with the game's language. Which is fine either way. He can do what he wants and it's okay. Game's still awesome.

This guy sucks at this game, Jesus Christ. He's like DSP tier. Continuously looks over the drop option in the menu while being incredulous that u can't drop a weapon. I turned off the video there.

Mister Wolf

I see what you mean about him having a hard time enjoying games. It reminds me of a recent interview with the Xeno director Takahashi saying he's a gamer but doesn't play RPGs saying he would be too critical of them nit picking everything. Says he plays games way different from what he creates his current favorite being Battlefield 1.

Wamb0wneD

I saw the whole thing ....

I don´t get the ¨He is not qualified enough to offer a valid opinion¨ just because he is not good at the game... so what?

If you don´t agree with him, it´s ok, thats normal, but saying he can´t make an opinion is bananas.

You are repeating yourself. When someone can't even grasp basic game mechanics, doesn't find buttons, can't read the interface, skips intros just to complain there is no backstory and says the game is overrated before even trying it then his opinion is worth jack shit. He invalidates it himself.

I know it can be pretentious, but watching people being so bad at a game is really infuriating for me, unless it's funny, and that's not the case. Watching this guys repeating almost the same line like "oh is it really a 98 out of 100 game ???" is exhausting.

That's too bad, I really liked Braid and still haven't finished the Witness but it's good so far. Seems like it's another guy like Phil Fish who feels like the king of the world after they released a good game, sad.

You are repeating yourself. When someone can't even grasp basic game mechanics, doesn't find buttons, can't read the interface, skips intros just to complain there is no backstory and says the game is overrated before even trying it then his opinion is worth jack shit. He invalidates it himself.

Surely his opinion is valid to someone who also isn't used to playing these types of games? Like, if I was trying a game that's in a genre I never expose myself too, I'm not going to go to veterans of the genre for opinions. I'm going to go to other people who are less familiar with them, as their experiences and thoughts will more likely give me a better understanding of what to expect.

Pretty sure he himself said that he doesn't play games like this normally.

Wamb0wneD

Nope, they wait for new Horizon Zero Dawn threads to pop up to discuss Zelda in depth there.

Worth quoting again.

These are the only 2 posts you made in this thread. You complaining about Horizon thread shitting is fucking hilarious.
Maybe, just maybe watch the vid and discuss the topic at hand or fuck off with this BS?

You clearly aren't interested in any discussion, nor in the topic at hand.

FinalAres

These are the only 2 posts you made in this thread. You complaining about Horizon thread shitting is fucking hilarious.
Maybe, just maybe watch the vid and discuss the topic at hand or fuck off with this bs?

You clearly aren't interested in any discussion, nor in the topic at hand.
I mean you're not discussing the subject either. You're spending your time undermining people and their credibility rather than what people are saying.

To be fair most people in this thread are being great at discussing the potential high and low points of this game. Most are doing Zelda fans proud.

It's a decent game, but it's certainly not my GOTY material.

The world feels dead. There's so little going on.
The dialogue is the usual terrible style that just doesn't translate well, in my view. See also games like Nier, Gravity Rush, Persona etc. The dialogue in these types of game really grates.
The button mapping is nuts. Every sinew of my being tells me to push a particular button to jump and they've mapped it to sprint.
The horse controls are terrible.

The puzzle shrines are fun though, if a little simple and it is undeniably very pretty. A decent game to keep my Switch occupied but I'll need a lot more to feel that my purchase is justified.

Nanashrew

Banned
What's "DSP" ? I see it poppin here and there.

DarkSidePhil

A YTer. He's not very good at playing video games, or it's just an act, it's hard to tell. He lacks a large amount of awareness when playing just about any kind of game and he complains and whines non-stop blaming the games for not explaining anything (even if the game does explain to him exactly what to do).

He's so bad at games, there are memes of him.

EDIT: there's one famous MGS let's play he did that should be out there. The game recommends using a silencer on his gun and he kept passing by it in the menus over and over again. He also didn't know how to equip it though it told him on screen.

Wamb0wneD

Surely his opinion is valid to someone who also isn't used to playing these types of games? Like, if I was trying a game that's in a genre I never expose myself too, I'm not going to go to veterans of the genre for opinions. I'm going to go to other people who are less familiar with them, as their experiences and thoughts will more likely give me a better understanding of what to expect.

Pretty sure he himself said that he doesn't play games like this normally.

Him not figuring out how to drop a weapon even though it's explained in the freaking menu or standing in front of a puzzle that's meant to introduce people to a game mechanic for 10 minutes has nothing to do with not being a veteran. Just read through this post:

I watched this morning and I knew he wasn't going to like it. Really enjoyed watching him antiplay it and I sent my friend some of the highlights:

If you prefer to go to people who not only are less familiar with a genre but said the game is overrated before even trying it and being willfully ignorant of even the most basic game mechanics to form your opinion on a game sure, go ahead. That sure will help you to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom