• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell |OT| Magic now also available in the US | BBCA, BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Finally the new ep. I thought it had aired yesterday lol.

Looking at a preview image I guess we'll see
Childermass in the afterlife or in the Gentleman's domain?

Acinixys

Saw episode one

My GF hated it but I thought it was great

I havent read the book yet so I cant wait to see how the story progresses

Tizoc

WHAT THE HECK IS MOSS OAK?!

Those final scenes were so strong, grrr I want the next ep. now damnit!
Is that Lady Pole in the moss oak? Did he create a copy of her or something?

Gambit

Finished the book on Sunday and watched the first two episodes on Monday.

I love the book and, as of the second episode, I love the series too.

The casting is spectacular. Strange is awesome and arrogant. Norrell could not be more perfect. Childermass has the same incredible presence he had in the book. Vinculus was a bit different than I imagined, but I like him all the same.

the BBC production values are good as always.

And the Gentleman is suitably creepy.

A very good adaptation so far. Hope it continues to deliver.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I doubt it. They've been totally faithful so far, except they messed with the chronology a tad to make sure each episode ends on a high note.

Gambit

I doubt it. They've been totally faithful so far, except they messed with the chronology a tad to make sure each episode ends on a high note.

This bothered me a little initially, when Strange was introduced much earlier. But then again the book really picks up once he is part of it, so I can understand why they went through so many pages in episode 1.

berzeli

Banned
Missed it last week (my computer keeps crashing on me) but here is this week's content roundup. Also added two more reviews to the second post, and ould someone verify that the first episode is still on youtube for Americans?
---------
Visual effects breakdown for episodes 3 & 4
---------
How The BBC Brought The "Unfilmable" Strange & Norrell To TV (io9)
---------
Interview with Eddie Marsan (THR)
---------
Episode 5 airs tonight
Arabella
Jonathan Strange's remarkable magic helps England win the Battle of Waterloo, after which Strange returns home hoping for a peaceful new life, but the Gentleman's scheme for revenge wrecks all of his and Arabella's plans, leaving Jonathan Strange a ruined man.

Risible

I have no idea where this story is going. I keep feeling like they're trying to lead me down the garden path, making me think Norrel is the bad guy but in reality he's right and that Strange will bring evil to the world with his use of older magics.

How many episodes total will the series span? From people who have read the books - how far along are we percentage-wise?

flowsnake

I have no idea where this story is going. I keep feeling like they're trying to lead me down the garden path, making me think Norrel is the bad guy but in reality he's right and that Strange will bring evil to the world with his use of older magics.

How many episodes total will the series span? From people who have read the books - how far along are we percentage-wise?

There are 7 episodes.

Masenkame

Missed it last week (my computer keeps crashing on me) but here is this week's content roundup. Also added two more reviews to the second post, and ould someone verify that the first episode is still on youtube for Americans?

Episode 5 airs tonight

Yes, it's still available in the U.S. Thanks for the links.

I'm really enjoying the adaptation so far. The quick pace of the show is nice, even though I loved the almost leisurely pace in the novel.

I'm of the opinion that if Stange does bring evil magic to the world it would have been down to Norrel's actions. Norrel's been nothing but a greedy, selfish man who cares for little more than him returning magic to England. Also, he was the one who brought the fairies back down to his own desire to be seen as a superior magician than he actually is and has admitted it to no one.

Tizoc

That last scene with Strange
talking about Madness...it makes some sense
Looking forward to the next eps. XO

I want to punch norrells booky guy in the face.

Asking a man whos wife died to think of how he hurt him. i am just pissed thinking about it.

Tizoc

Can someone elaborate on what
Childermass told Jonathan about how if one side fails he will side with them? I don't exactly understand he meant by that @_@

Crispy75

Can someone elaborate on what
Childermass told Jonathan about how if one side fails he will side with them? I don't exactly understand he meant by that @_@

I reckon:
he wants to make sure that all avenues of magical research are left open. It looks like you can't go one way (ie into Norrellish book study, or Strangeish occult) without ignoring the other. There has to be balance and he wants to maintain it.

Haly

Childermass'
goal is the advancement and proliferation of magic and he believes it's best achieved through dialogue and competition.

That's how I see it.

cjp

I haven't read the book. Is it going to be fully wrapped up within the last two episodes of will there need to be another series?

Qvoth

i have a feeling childermass is
the raven king
any book reader can confirm? it's the feeling i have ever since we saw the painting when jonathan and norrel went to visit the mad king

i have a feeling childermass is
the raven king
any book reader can confirm? it's the feeling i have ever since we saw the painting when jonathan and norrel went to visit the mad king

Childermass could be an agent of the Raven King as it is implied that the latter character caused the entire chain of events to unfold, so he could be unconscious of his role in the entire affair if not the man himself (if you want more information about his role in the story then I could spoil it further but that is up to you).

Timbuktu

He's one of the most human characters. Good intentions, but desperately guilty of his Big Mistake, so he over-compensates with arrogance. I don't know if he's likable as such, but he's totally relateable.

Norrell is relatable, but not in a way that makes people comfortable of evoke much empathy. We are all capable of making a mistake, be spiteful and then try to cover it up without caring about others. It's not something I would want myself to be capable of though.

This is a fantastic adaptation so far, hope they can wrap it up nicely. And I hope it motivates Clarke to finally be done with the sequel. She must be getting somewhere with it by now!

Maledict

He's one of the most human characters. Good intentions, but desperately guilty of his Big Mistake, so he over-compensates with arrogance. I don't know if he's likable as such, but he's totally relateable.

What I would say is that his 'Big Mistake' wasn't adequately telegraphed / shown at the time. They could have emphasised the fact he broke his own rules with Lady Poole, and referenced it a bit more - right now the guilt and remorse, and him covering it up, isn't shown strongly enough for my liking so it just makes him look a petty and spiteful person.

Watching Ep.6 and can only say Bertie Carvel is a total marvel, incredible.

His career should do a 'Cumberbatch' after this ...

Crispy75

Bloody hell that was a bit good.

PS: The courtyard at Strange's house in Venice is the same location as Daenerys' in Quarth.

Cyan

Banned
Finally got a chance to watch the first episode. Really good stuff, totally nailed most of the characters. And good choices in what they cut down or rearranged. Definitely excited to see the rest of it.

Finally got a chance to watch the first episode. Really good stuff, totally nailed most of the characters. And good choices in what they cut down or rearranged. Definitely excited to see the rest of it.

For the first episode just seeing the world on screen is exciting but the quality of acting is carrying this one all the way home.

Timbuktu

Not sure what can be done to get more people here to watch this show, or just generally to get this better known. I want to say that something this good will eventually surface in the mainstream, but being just a short one season wonder, I fear that it can be easily overlooked. They used the short season, full hour BBC format very well. No filler at all and does so much with its complicated universe pretty efficiently.

Not sure what can be done to get more people here to watch this show, or just generally to get this better known. I want to say that something this good will eventually surface in the mainstream, but being just a short one season wonder, I fear that it can be easily overlooked. They used the short season, full hour BBC format very well. No filler at all and does so much with its complicated universe pretty efficiently.

If it's a one-off then does it matter?

Timbuktu

If it's a one-off then does it matter?

I just don't want people to miss out on something great. I don't expect a follow up when the writer might take years to write her next book. And BBC getting low ratings for things like this might just make it harder for high quality non-mainstream stuff to get made and at the end we'd be stuck with Strictly and Eastenders. Hopefully DVD/bluray/netflix might make up for some of this.

I just don't want people to miss out on something great. I don't expect a follow up when the writer might take years to write her next book. And BBC getting low ratings for things like this might just make it harder for high quality non-mainstream stuff to get made and at the end we'd be stuck with Strictly and Eastenders.

The BBC isn't like other TV Channels ... it's got a mandate... by Royal Charter ...

"To enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain."

so although they do make programs that reach large audiences as long as we can keep Murdoch's greasy profit stained fingers off it they will continue to make the small but wonderful stuff that will likely survive for centuries rather than weeks.

I'm sure that the BBC would be happy if this got a fraction the popularity that Game of Thrones has internationally. But the source material just isn't as mass market and easy to digest.

Haly

Id like BBC to redo Neverwhere.

What about a Mieville book? I dont think Perdido Steet Station would be very expensive.

Finally got all caught up. Goddamn this show is fantastic. The Gentleman and Childermass are highlights, but every cast member is superb. The deviations from the book (one of my favorite books) make sense and help the story move along at a quick pace. This is absolutely the adaptation the book deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom