• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joshua Topolsky (The Verge, Bloomberg) Launches New Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys laugh but this fits perfectly with all the independant graphic design magazines (and posters, and books, etc) I see nowadays.

This is a site where tons of people are making fun of Geocities, yet they use a Geocities-like dark theme while the light theme "hurts their eyes," and they hate pretty much every logo rebranding ever. I don't trust the Gaf design sense, as a community.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is a site where tons of people are making fun of Geocities, yet they use a Geocities-like dark theme while the light theme "hurts their eyes," and they had pretty much every logo rebranding ever. I don't trust the Gaf design sense, as a community.

in like '08 there was ameme where we'd photoshop posts on top of a pedestal
lets just pretend we did that here

jediyoshi

This is a site where tons of people are making fun of Geocities, yet they use a Geocities-like dark theme while the light theme "hurts their eyes," and they had pretty much every logo rebranding ever.

I've never read someone describe more explicitly their lack of familiarity with GeoCities.

It's funny that Topolsky, rightly, diagnoses that the way that media is created and consumed is fundamentally broken, but then somehow concludes that the solution is to make the news look like a fucking Hieronymus Bosch triptych.

WsapewD.png
1280px-The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_Bosch_High_Resolution.jpg

The problem with media right now is that we too often destroy and/or change context. This site... isn't helping that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The site is really fun to browse on a 5.5in screen, but it's a little chugging on my iPhone6+

I read the article about the lottery scratcher YouTube community last night and the video that accompanied it was in portrait! Which is fuckin awesome, it filled up the whole screen.

I just finished reading the piece about detransition and it was great. Pretty harrowing stuff.

I love how they post links to other sites! It's presented on a little card with three interesting facts.

rmt92

It's a little wacky and abrasive, but I kinda enjoy it...

I've read a few of the articles so far and I liked those too. I'll keep tuning in to see what they have in them.

If they can write interesting articles and present them in a visually unique way, then they are doing something different. At least from the sites I visit.

FyreWulff

This is a site where tons of people are making fun of Geocities, yet they use a Geocities-like dark theme while the light theme "hurts their eyes," and they hate pretty much every logo rebranding ever. I don't trust the Gaf design sense, as a community.

Holy shit you're my spirit bro. This. This right here. The dark themes are always geocities looking eyesores on every site ever that adds it as an option.

Ambient80

i'm really really enjoying the site. the various pieces are interesting and the site itself is quite engaging. it's almost designed like a phone app with the way navigation is handled. they also produced a really good video (imo):

Our review of the Vigilante iphone app: no

The more I visit the site the more I like it (or, said more accurately, the less I dislike it). Some of the links just lead to like a tiny nugget of information, which is strange. LikeI clicked on something from the election, and it just takes me to a picture of Clinton and it says she is currently winning the popular vote my 2.5 million votes. That's literally all it says. Is there a link to an article I'm missing in these situations?

I will say again though I do like the cards view (on mobile and on my macbook, Windows not so much), and the "home button" functionality that minimizes your current article and takes you to the home page. Kind of a janky transition though.

It looks good visually. These geocities comments are hilariously ignorant.

That said, I don't really enjoy the format on my desktop.

So much just looks like a mistake I can't tell what's intentionally designed and what isn't.

But beyond that, I don't know if we really need another website for unqualified people to write about topics that they're not qualified to write about, and pretend that they speak with authority. We have Vox, Gawker/RIP, and to a lesser degree, Vice, for that already.

The design is interesting. However, it's like designing a car for aesthetics and forgetting someone has to sit inside and control it. It's almost unusable.

Blackhead

Redarse
Some of the links just lead to like a tiny nugget of information, which is strange. LikeI clicked on something from the election, and it just takes me to a picture of Clinton and it says she is currently winning the popular vote my 2.5 million votes. That's literally all it says. Is there a link to an article I'm missing in these situations?

I didn't cotton onto it at first too but those should have outbound links to other sites which wrote the actual story

But beyond that, I don't know if we really need another website for unqualified people to write about topics that they're not qualified to write about, and pretend that they speak with authority. We have Vox, Gawker/RIP, and to a lesser degree, Vice, for that already.

Huh?! You only read academic papers? Otherwise practically all journalism is unqualified people writing with authority about topics in which they aren't experts.

i'm really really enjoying the site. the various pieces are interesting and the site itself is quite engaging. it's almost designed like a phone app with the way navigation is handled. they also produced a really good video (imo):

Our review of the Vigilante iphone app: no

This is a decent video.

I don't care for the design of the site but I'll keep checking it if there are more interesting articles

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So they are making the Buzzfeed of tech?

Nah, think The Awl but for tech/transhumanism/politics

its a dope-ass site
ambient said:
hat's literally all it says. Is there a link to an article I'm missing in these situations?
its small and blends into the color scheme of the infocard but its in the bottom of left

Emarv

I could deal with some of the overdesign, but having to read an article with a blinding red background? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom