• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judas, the new game from Ken Levine

Terenty

I mean, it's kinda cringe how this game looks exactly the same art and gameplay wise as bioshock, like Levine has completely run out of ideas after Infinite, but I will still absolutely take it over another generic trash cinematic squeeze through simulation.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The real Bioshock 4? Great news. I saw some original and interesting ideas in that trailer(Atomic Heart style). But space thing is overused these days, that's the only negative thing for me.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Pleasantly surprised. After so many years of radio silence I genuinely thought that this project is dead in the water and that 2K is gonna cut Levine and his studio loose. It's nice to be proven wrong.

That very brief preview looks like they're treading familiar water but: 1) ain't nothing wrong with that, I'll take one more game of Infinite's caliber, and 2) it was just barely a minute of footage, so maybe Levine still has some surprises up his sleeve.

Porcile

I tried playing through Bioshock again recently. You cant fault the art direction or story, which are incredible, but the gameplay is such a massive turd I just couldn't even get past the halfway point.

GymWolf

All the people mad at the game were probably in search for a different type of shock

fetish-fantasy-electro-nipple-clamps-197035_1200x1200.jpg

Fbh

Looks cool.

I agree it's a bit weird seeing him announce what's basically "Not-Bioshock 4" after all the talk of wanting to make something different and smaller scale.

But I won't complain about more Bioshock

Wildebeest

prey 2017 wasnt generic at all , it was very different from all the games we usually get
One person's tasteful art direction is another person's generic. One person's tired rehash of 70s "Alien/Star Wars" science fiction aesthetic is another person's bold new creative vision which brings dreams to life from the unknowable depths of their psyche.

Prey (2017) is so generic that it shouldn't be the de facto of this theme

Spoken like someone who hasnt played it properly. If you did well then , fuck your tastes in gaming. Prey is pretty much the modern System Shock. Incredible atmosphere/level design. Nice story as well. Enemies are not so good but everything is top notch. There is no game like it in many recent years so "generic" is such a dumb statement. I wonder what game you consider non-generic.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Wasn’t another Bioshock game in dev? I legit thought that’s what this was at first.
Yeah there's a new Bioshock being developed elsewhere at 2K, which I suspect will be like Bioshock 2; a competent-playing rehash that somehow completely misses the point.

Fools idol

Banned
there was chatter after the ceremony that the game has 'huge' chat wheels a'la Vampyre or the Bethesda games and that each choice you make alters the story in a huge way, which is why it has taken so long to develop.

Cant knock Levine for trying new shit but the QA involved sounds like a nightmare.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Soo... you guys have any theories on what kind of hot button topic Ken Levine is going to tackle this time?

So far we have:
  • abused androids
  • robots
  • female protagonist
  • some imagery relating to romance and relationships
  • these in-game paintings that seem to be saying something about privilege and relationships (maybe workplace relationships?):
ss_914ab995bb6eb460b49c3cdcdd86fd210dd1e4b0.1920x1080.jpg

ss_10c525b18ebb40fbf44d6e0a4eff735f7172346c.1920x1080.jpg

I also don't think it's a coincidence that women are so heavily featured in the game, and also mostly depicted as abused individuals, while the only male character from the screenshots shown so far is an authority figure.

Yeah, I know, that's not a lot of information to be jumping into such conclusions but chill, this is just speculation. All in good fun.

WitchHunter

Banned
Sigh... Reeks of Bioshock and not in a good way. BS was aok, but game mechanics and aesthetics look and feel the same 😟. Cheapskates...

I_D

It certainly looks like Bioshock, but that's not a bad thing. Overall, the graphics look pretty solid, but the animations definitely need some work.

Atomic Heart has definitely made a bigger impression, but this will be a good one to play afterward.

Hugare

I think the trailer told a lot about the game if you were paying attention

She says that she has to leave the ship with "one of them", while the trailer cuts to a montage showing the sheriff, the robot lady and that other woman.

So you'll probably have to choose between them as NPC companions to play with throughout the whole campaign

It also shows their abilities: sheriff seems to boost your weapons, robot lady controls electronics and the other woman is a magician of sorts

I'm very excited. Seems like an ambitious project.

Hopefully they will deliver

mdkirby

Anyone else find it pretty weird that he pretty much shuttered his old studio, leaving the bio shock franchise to languish for years, so he could start a fresh and make something different….then proceeds to spend the next 5 years seemingly making what for all intense and purposes just looks like bioshock 4…

Anyone else find it pretty weird that he pretty much shuttered his old studio, leaving the bio shock franchise to languish for years, so he could start a fresh and make something different….then proceeds to spend the next 5 years seemingly making what for all intense and purposes just looks like bioshock 4…

Yup. I can only assume everything else he came up with was shit.

This is disappointing.

mdkirby

Yup. I can only assume everything else he came up with was shit.

This is disappointing.
I’m definitely not in the disappointed camp, I think it looks pretty great personally. I just find the circumstances are pretty bizarre. Maybe he just absolutely hated all the people he worked with?🤷‍♂️…or didn’t like taketwo being their publisher and “burn it all to the ground and start again” was his way out.

I love the idea of some more Shock games, but didn't Ken shut down his studio and take his proverbial ball home because he didn't want to work on these types of games anymore? Then suddenly 10 years passes and he makes a game that literally looks like it could be a direct sequel. I'm just confused.

Oops. Beaten.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I’m definitely not in the disappointed camp, I think it looks pretty great personally. I just find the circumstances are pretty bizarre. Maybe he just absolutely hated all the people he worked with?🤷‍♂️…or didn’t like taketwo being their publisher and “burn it all to the ground and start again” was his way out.

While Ken Levine has a lot of great ideas, he's terrible at running a studio and managing a large development team, the latter of which almost caused him irreparable damage to his health and personal relationships. Ghost Story Games was formed as a result of Levine wanting to work with a smaller team, and Take-Two still wanted to work with him and facilitated that.

Last edited:

hinch7

Not too fond of the art style and theme used here.. Looks a little wierd in a modern setting. Guess I'm sort of used to seeing old steam punk Bioshock by Levine.

But its been some time since I've enjoyed a decent FPS and loved his other games, so I'll most likey end up enjoy as well. Plus its a new IP so we could see some new and interesting ideas.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I screamed two times during the showing of Levine's game: first when I saw the Ghost Story Games logo and I couldn't believe he was finally unveiling the narrative legos project, and second the moment I saw that fucking title:

"Judas" trademark filed in USPTO by Take-Two Interactive
PUBLISHED APRIL 27, 2016

https://www.dualshockers.com/judas-trademark-filed-in-uspto-by-take-two-interactive/

To everyone who's sceptic about Judas, do yourselves a favor and watch the man himself talk at GDC 2014 about the groundbreaking narrative concept that lives at the heart of the world he introduced us to last night:

Top Bottom