• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge and Rape Victim Weigh In on Victim Blaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyMel

I mean maybe we should also tell boys to respect girls as their equals to reduce the chance of them becoming rapists when they become adults. Like that's probably just as effective if not more when it comes to reducing rape but no one wants to do that I guess.

Yes, it is much better to be proactive than reactive in these cases. Starting as early as possible to teach boys that girls have boundaries that should be respected is key.

This is a tough topic to discuss, because it's highly semantic.

eg. 1 "You were raped because you got drunk and wore skanky clothing". <-- to me, this is 100% victim blaming. Specifically takes the blame off the perpetrator and puts it on the victim.

eg. 2 "If you are going to go out drinking tonight, please be careful, as being a drunk woman in this part of town puts you at higher risk of very real dangers in our society." <-- this doesn't come off as victim blaming to me. Those dangers exist, we're all aware of it, but we're also not saying that you deserve what happens to you if you make certain decisions. It is NOT your fault if you make those decisions, however there are some harsh realities we must protect ourselves from.

Does that makes sense?
It makes absolute sense, which should make the topic really cut and dry for discussion. The judge didn't say "it's your fault" the judge said "be careful".

Nothing wrong with that. Rape is a problem out there, and like every person on Earth you have to make adjustments to protect yourself.

All the posturing in this thread won't protect or save a single woman from being assaulted. This judges words, while seeming obvious advice to you, actually might in a local context.

The judge I'm sure would rather do what she can to stop a rape than worry about what some smug message board posters say about her to justify their sense of moral superiority.

andthebeatgoeson

As chief architect of the internet rage machine, i find it necessary to continue my anger. I'll will not tolerate this insubordination...

But seriously, as one woman doesn't represent everyone, I'm glad she could see it on a positive light. But it's still bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom