• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juicero (makers of the $400 non-juicer) is shutting down

http://fortune.com/2017/09/01/juicero-is-shutting-down/

Juicero has run out of juice.

The San Francisco-based maker of counter-top cold-press juicers said today that it is shutting down operations and suspending the sale of its presses and produce packs immediately.

The announcement on the company's website comes after the startup said in July that it was undergoing a ”strategic shift" to more quickly lower the cost of its $399 juicers and $5-7 juice packs filled with raw fruits and vegetables. As part of the shift, the company said then that it would lay off about a quarter of its staff.

At the time, Juicero CEO Jeff Dunn wrote in a letter to employees obtained by Fortune that the current prices were ”not a realistic way for us to fulfill our mission at the scale to which we aspire."
But Juicero realized it couldn't bring down the cost of its products as a standalone company. It was too small to achieve the required economies of scale on its own. The company will now focus on finding a buyer, it wrote in Friday's blog post.

A source familiar with the situation said employees are being given 60 days notice and that the company is notifying all customers via email that they can request a refund for the machine for up 90 days.

Good riddance to bad ideas. Squeeze me by hand if old.

Kayhan

tenor.gif

The Lamp

They deserve this if only for trying to reinforce the idea that juicing is healthy and cool. The product being stupid is just what did them in.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Juicero reminds me of a modern version of those dot-com bubble era startups we laughed at on the old FuckedCompany.com website.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No, its the one with a juice bag that was more efficient if you squeezed it yourself.

There was some kind of DRM on it. It scanned a QR code on the package and wouldn't squeeze without it or whatever. :p

Kayhan

This is the kind of Silicon Valley startup innovation that will save the economy in the Age of Automation.

MUnited83

For you.
i'm still amazed they have several investors

who the fuck looks at this and think it's worth investing in? jesus fuck

Koomaster

Juice was such a good idea. I was hoping juice would take off. Now I have to eat vegetables and fruit with my teeth like an animal. :( :( :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Millennials

mlclmtckr

Banned
You fools, when I told you to make a useless product to get VC money from gullible idiots I meant some app or something not a physical product that people can literally point and laugh at

Honestly I'm shocked. With the amount of money in Silicon Valley, I thought there would be enough invested to actually bring it down to a low price and make it work.

Don't have to be very smart to be a "venture capitalist" I assume? I'm convinced the majority of people with this job title are silver spoon'd kids who got a cushy job throwing around money

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'd be willing to bet every investor invested similar amounts of money into 50 different "tech/disruption/Uber of X/Netflix of X" companies because having just 1 hit and hit big is worth the shotgun approach here.

Oh you're definitely right but the fact that this raised something like $120 million is everything fucking cancerous about the tech startup scene

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
They would've had more success just selling the bags by themselves.

Top Bottom