• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World 3 is titled Jurassic World: Dominion

I’m actually just now (literally right now) in the process of watching the first two JW’s. They’ve been in my movie backlog for ages, finally getting around to them

Seems like just yesterday Fallen Kingdom came out and already they're shooting the third?

And yeah, Fallen Kingdom was pretty bad, though not completely terrible, but hopefully this one will be a lot better.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I hope they go back to the red and yellow. So much more striking than that boring blue.

Also very happy it didn't turn out to be New Era.

It’s good to be reminded that there are franchises even more torturously milked than Star Wars.

What? How? Explain how a franchise containing countless books, comics and video games is less of a milking cow than Jurassic Park, a series so under utilized it's almost shameful.

One of the best thing about JW is that they are finally starting to do more expanded universe stuff. Outside of some comics in the past, we got next to nothing outside the movies.

NeoGiffer

yXJxLB.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im pretty hyped for this.

it is funny seeing so much hate at the last movie cos i genuinely had a blast w it. Fallen Kingdom was the most exciting JP since the 2nd entry. it was so refreshing to get off that damn island. the millionaire mansion was cheesy and creepy but so so so much fun.

the ending was just awesome too. a real game changer. the kind of ending that makes me want to see where they take it next.

looking forward to this.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It’s good to be reminded that there are franchises even more torturously milked than Star Wars.
I don't even know how we've gotten this far with Jurassic Park.

First movie was good but I could care less about the rest.

Besides how many fucking times do you open up a "real life" dinosaur theme park without learning your lesson?

Darkmakaimura

Oh man, I hope they go back to the red and yellow. So much more striking than that boring blue.

Also very happy it didn't turn out to be New Era.

What? How? Explain how a franchise containing countless books, comics and video games is less of a milking cow than Jurassic Park, a series so under utilized it's almost shameful.

One of the best thing about JW is that they are finally starting to do more expanded universe stuff. Outside of some comics in the past, we got next to nothing outside the movies.
Because Jurassic Park is A LOT more limited in scope and possibilities than a literal galaxy.

That's why space opera can be milked without feeling completely stale (even though SW is but that's due to Disney corps stupidity and limiting themselves where Legends was better).

Jurassic Park is dinosaurs in a theme park that go wild. We don't need a half dozen movies about that.

Like I said, this many movies in and people still haven't said "gee wiz maybe we shouldn't open a theme park with live dinosaurs anymore."

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I actually liked Fallen Kingdom more than most of the other movies. Straight up cheesy in all the right ways for me. Genetically engineered dino -weapons stalking Crisp Rat through a spooky mansion? I’ll watch the shit out of that, that’s so stupid it’s awesome.

Darkmakaimura

If they're gonna milk the assjuice out of this franchise after this, at least have fucking interdimensional travel intervening or aliens vs dinosaurs or some shit. Like Turok or Dino Crisis the shit out of it.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Because Jurassic Park is A LOT more limited in scope and possibilities than a literal galaxy.

That's why space opera can be milked without feeling completely stale (even though SW is but that's due to Disney corps stupidity and limiting themselves where Legends was better).

Jurassic Park is dinosaurs in a theme park that go wild. We don't need a half dozen movies about that.

Like I said, this many movies in and people still haven't said "gee wiz maybe we shouldn't open a theme park with live dinosaurs anymore."

Sorry, but that's complete bull. Jurassic Park is far more than dinosaurs in a park, it's about the tech behind those dinosaurs and what could happen to it.

They opened two parks, two. That's a far cry from what you're saying, making it sound like they keep opening parks.

There is a ton of potential with this for a lot of different stories, both before and after the events of either park. I'm not gonna claim the sequels are of very hogh quality, because they're not, but that in no way invalidates the universe.

What the franchise needs is better stories set with it.

Snailys

I remember when I was watching Jurassic World when I was a kid, this was the most terrifying movie I was wathching. I also remember the ring, but only Jurrasic was so fking scary for me

Kacchan

Gold Member
I liked Fallen Kingdom and I have high hopes for this sequel since they are bringing back the OG cast members. Should be nostalgic fun.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
They need to make the film "smaller" again. Going for bigger and bigger set-pieces is just getting boring; give me a chance to fantasize about living in a realistic Jurassic Park timeline where genetic reconstruction of extinct animals has reached that level, and give me characters debating across a table as they did in the greatest scene in the original.

Kacchan

Gold Member
They need to make the film "smaller" again. Going for bigger and bigger set-pieces is just getting boring; give me a chance to fantasize about living in a realistic Jurassic Park timeline where genetic reconstruction of extinct animals has reached that level, and give me characters debating across a table as they did in the greatest scene in the original.

Hmm... It would be cool if they dialed it back a bit. Something on a smaller scale would be pretty good. Nice suggestion, bruh.

Last edited:

Codes 208

jurassic world 2 was boring, but not offensively bad for the most part. Which overall is a bit disappointing as i loved JW.
My expectstions for this one is middling, im cautiously optimistic.
I mean, my expectations for JW were fairly low since JP3 was absolute shit, so could be worse i guess.

So, I know nobody cares, but I watched JW and JW:FC yesterday, back to back

JW was great, solid 8 out of 10, I dug it. Very entertaining

JWFC was more like a 6. It just felt....silly? I realize that may sound ironic, as it's a movie about cloned dinosaurs and shit, but I dunno, it just stopped making sense more and more the longer it went, to me anyway

GamingKaiju

The Battle at Big Rock short was promising tbh. I also don't have high expectations in movies like this so bring it on.

If we can expect this sort of stuff in Dominion then I'll happily watch it. Also this would be a good time for another Dino Crisis game, I think the world is ready.

jadedm17

JW2 was the worst movie ive seen, from just plain boring to ridiculous. And to be fair o loved the first one.

I cant fathom whod want to see another one.

im pretty hyped for this.

it is funny seeing so much hate at the last movie cos i genuinely had a blast w it. Fallen Kingdom was the most exciting JP since the 2nd entry. it was so refreshing to get off that damn island. the millionaire mansion was cheesy and creepy but so so so much fun.

My issue? It feels like every single decision being made was the most ridiculous one. Every new problem any single character gets it feels they go "Whats the dumbest thing i can do right now? Im gonna do that".

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
What? How? Explain how a franchise containing countless books, comics and video games is less of a milking cow than Jurassic Park

I still remember a review of the original Jurassic Park that termed it “a thrilling if one-dimensional monster movie.” It’s a bit dismissive, but not completely wide of the mark. Jurassic Park was a monster movie with memorable characters and great special effects, much like Jaws. Jaws had three sequels, but does anyone remember them?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i really don't get why people liked the first one. i thought it was fine, Chris Pratt and BDH both charismatic enough action leads, but it was just warmed over Jurassic Park 2.0 to me. dinos for the army was meh. BDH was a babe tho and the personal connection Pratt had to Blue was believable enough to spin drama from CGI. they did have some cool stuff in it.

Fallen Kingdom feels like a real 60's monster movie tho. classic drive in stuff. it has a lot of stuff you might see in a Godzilla or Vincent Price movie. it felt very puulp. this is why i watch these franchises, i want to see cool variations, with an old school flair. the horror dino sequences were my favorite thing since the end of The Lost World. that shot of him on the rooftop felt very Ray Harryhausen. the movie had that kind of vibe.

there seemed to be a lot of memorable setpieces as well. the millionaires was dumb but seeing them get killed by dinosuars was like they went back and rewatched the first movie, and realized how awesome that scene is where the lawyer gets eaten by a T-Rex as he's sitting on a toilet, this broadly hated popular villain, having a humiliating and entertaining demise. our heroes, off helping the children flee. he is killed because he abandoned them. here it is a little more on-the-nose, but certainly no more than Canto Bight.

loved BDH she is a total action babe. loved Chris Pratt's almost Charlie Chaplin style comedy scene where the lava is coming towards him and he has been shot full of tranquilizers. he has to get away and he can't move his limbs so he's flinging himself around as the level edges ever closer. it was funny, and never bothered me that it wasn't realistic in any ways, it was like a live action homage to Bugs Bunny or Buster Keaton. i bet people hate this goofy shit but i 💚 💚 💚

loved them leaving the island halfway through. the scene where they are all running, and get into the airtight ball, and then it falls into the water, and starts to crack and you realize they are going to slowly drown, and Chris Pratt has to save them, and it's this intense action sequence. it was really well done. just some classic pulp adventure stuff. this is the kind of non-plot-essential flavor scene that would show up in a comic book, and i love that. later on they have kind of a comedy scene w the T-Rex on the way to the mansion, and she gets on and rides it for a second. amazing. again kind of like a comic book scene. doesn't really lead to anything but it's a nice character moment for all involved & comedy from a physical prop t-rex. this is something nobody has done yet in a JP, right? ditto for the clone girl. it makes total sense, given the decades we have lived with the concept of this technology. why not explore things? im hoping they push it even further in this one.

Last edited:
How the fuck did the larger carnivores survive to the extent that they are running free in campsites?

I cn see flying dinosaurs and small ones like compsagnathus or microceratops evading eradication (along with the mosasaur, because big fucking ocean), but who the fuck lets allosaurs and t-rexs run around wherever they want? And they are not even horror movie-monster strong - the little girl scared the allosaur so much by shooting it with a crossbow that it ran off.

This movie is going to be so dumb.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I still remember a review of the original Jurassic Park that termed it “a thrilling if one-dimensional monster movie.” It’s a bit dismissive, but not completely wide of the mark. Jurassic Park was a monster movie with memorable characters and great special effects, much like Jaws. Jaws had three sequels, but does anyone remember them?

The original is a masterpiece imo, but outside that, I don't really get how any of that has any relation whatsoever to milking worse than Star Wars?

Kenpachii

The first Jurassic park film felt so grounded and “this could happen”.
Every other one has felt like a blockbuster fantasy. I wish they’d go back to grounding it.

And that's the problem most movies have, they don't feel real. u feel like watching a rollercoaster rather then something that can or could happen.

Everything from cast ,script to riding a bike between raptors felt so fake it was hard to relate towards any of it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The Lost World's one new idea single handedly saved it for me. dino lost in LA was amazing. i was dead bored for the other 80% of the movie.

thus why Fallen Kingdom is my third favorite entry in the series. instead of going back to the island over and over, they finally left it.

the idea that cloning tech would only ever remain on those islands was silly ever since the ending of the very first movie, where they see pterodactyls flying away as they leave the island.

really hope this one is a globe-hopping adventure, dinos all over the world. really go all out.

Last edited:
I don't even know how we've gotten this far with Jurassic Park.

First movie was good but I could care less about the rest.

Besides how many fucking times do you open up a "real life" dinosaur theme park without learning your lesson?
And how about some evil third party want to steal the dinosaur for w/e evil reason

Top Bottom