• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juror in Georgia death penalty case: "Ive wondered if Black people even have souls"

Apt101

Isn't there some kind of ethics board that can fix this? Disbar the judge or some shit? Is that even a thing?

Shaanyboi

Banned
If instead of just calling him racist, the left could just calmly and maturely discuss with this juror why he is wrong and present factual evidence that black people have souls, maybe he might be swayed!

/s

As someone who studied the Bible, where and how in the freaking heck did he come to that conclusion?! Was he on drugs or something? Did he even look at the book or was he listening to some racist pastor talk about it in his point of view?

I don't care if he was drunk, you don't say that ever. You shouldn't even have those thoughts. I would have removed him from the jury myself if I was that judge.

Fuck anybody who can read this and remain pro-death penalty. And fuck the people that like to bring up criminal records whenever a black/brown person is beaten or killed by police. This is what they are up against. Minorities in America are set up to fail.

Now is a great time to reiterate.

Our (black people's) rights are an addendum. Not only that but they're an addendum that was added by a system that by design did not seek to include black people as it's citizens, where the very foundations of many of the laws in this country were built and created to purposefully and surgically target us. These systems were further strengthened after the Civil War, and beyond and are still the systems in use in 2017.

Will America ever stop being fucked up?

Fixed, let's dead this narrative that only the south is racist.

Balphon

As someone who studied the Bible, where and how in the freaking heck did he come to that conclusion?! Was he on drugs or something? Did he even look at the book or was he listening to some racist pastor talk about it in his point of view?

I'm sure there's some Mark of Cain/Curse of Ham bullshit in there.

"He cant be removed for racist things. Drunk people say racists things all the time. In fact, what he said may have not been racist at all." Probably the gist of his argument.

Fuchsdh

No evidence that race was considered? Really?

In the jury deliberations? They don't, at least based on what the article relates. I mean, that's where I don't see where the argument made by the defense makes sense. If you can demonstrate the jury was deliberately built to use race to decide guilt, I think you've got a pretty good case that constitutional rights were infringed. But one racist guy in a jury that has to return a unanimous verdict? You could toss virtually any case that way by finding evidence that a juror is a piece of shit after the fact.

(This is of course a separate question from whether their should be a death penalty, which this scenario seems to me just one more tick in the "this is why it shouldn't be a thing" column.)

caliph95

"He cant be removed for racist things. Drunk people say racists things all the time. In fact, what he said may have not been racist at all." Probably the gist of his argument.
IANAL but aren't you supposed to cut people like him off it would cloud his judgement

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Wtf is wrong with some people? And it's not a racist asshole statement in isolation. It's directly impacting a whether a man would live or die!

Strimei

God...Damn. Not used to people being this blunt about their racism.

I actually work with jurors, you'd be surprised the number of people who are upfront about it.

Though I have a feeling a fair number of them are just saying shit that they think would let them get off jury duty.
Doesn't work, you still gotta come in. Gotta tell the judge that to their face.

RMI

Banned
Wait so if a person is possibly drunk their actions have no bearing on the rule of law? That's rich.

There's something wrong with jury selection, especially when a person of color is on trial. How do people like this even get on there?

Platy

I think "not having a soul" should be something that frees people of jail, like pledging insanity since it is the same thing (lacking the skills to distinguish from good and evil).

That being said, fuvk this racist

In the jury deliberations? They don't, at least based on what the article relates. I mean, that's where I don't see where the argument made by the defense makes sense. If you can demonstrate the jury was deliberately built to use race to decide guilt, I think you've got a pretty good case that constitutional rights were infringed. But one racist guy in a jury that has to return a unanimous verdict? You could toss virtually any case that way by finding evidence that a juror is a piece of shit after the fact.

(This is of course a separate question from whether their should be a death penalty, which this scenario seems to me just one more tick in the "this is why it shouldn't be a thing" column.)
Really? That juror made specific racially disparaging comments about the defendant, it was more than a general commentary about Black people. He'd decided that there were "good Black folks" and "niggers" and Tharpe, being the "nigger" that he was, deserved to die.
To say that he managed to keep his racist vitriol to himself during jury deliberations is an empty statement, he's such a flagrant anti-Black racist, his opinion and his judgements as juror in this case have zero credibility.

Death penalty needs to go when so many parts of this country want to use it against us for "not having souls".

Fuck this scum and everyone who thinks like him.

Our lives are worthless to these bastards.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's that good old fashion racism right there! Hot damn! The words this man spoke actually made my stomach turn

alternade

louie.gif

Seriously. What the fuck WHITE people.

FTFY

NoName999

Yeah, theres always another side to these things.

/s

Have the people in this topic ever think that they're just suffering from anxiety and thus overexaggerating the racism of this? I mean the man said something wrong but he's probably suffering from economic anxiety.

Why point out racism everywhere? Do you want Trump to win 2020?

/s

Top Bottom