• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurors Need to Know That They Can Say No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can't do the time?

Don't smoke that dime.

Drugs laws are being excessively enforced with excessively high sentences just to pack up prisons. It is not right. People need help for drug addiction, not jail time. It's fine to keep hard drug users inside while they get cured, but not in a jail.

This is a tough issue. I agree in it's use to battle over-reaching or out-dated laws. However, this very concept has been used by jurys in situations where a person is clearly guilty of things like assault and murder but the jury doesn't feels like passing a sentance. Something I've wondered if they just feel to guilty and don't want to be responsible for the sentance or perhaps think there was a justified reason for the crime.

The laws should be just and fair and the jury should rule on the letter of the law without question IMO. That however is a dreamworld we don't live in.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drugs laws are being excessively enforced with excessively high sentences just to pack up prisons. It is not right. People need help for drug addiction, not jail time. It's fine to keep hard drug users inside while they get cured, but not in a jail.

This I also definitely agree with. The logic of "person is a heroin addict -> throw them into a toxic violent environment" never made any fucking sense to me.

kehs

Banned

I agree with that actually, in fact here's a good read from Richard Branson and the decriminalization of drugs in Portugal related to that:

Visited Portugal, as one of the Global Drug Commissioners, to congratulate them on the success of their drug policies over the last 10 years.

Ten years ago the Portuguese Government responded to widespread public concern over drugs by rejecting a “war on drugs” approach and instead decriminalized drug possession and use. It further rebuffed convention by placing the responsibility for decreasing drug demand as well as managing dependency under the Ministry of Health rather than the Ministry of Justice. With this, the official response towards drug-dependent persons shifted from viewing them as criminals to treating them as patients.

Now with a decade of experience Portugal provides a valuable case study of how decriminalization coupled with evidence-based strategies can reduce drug consumption, dependence, recidivism and HIV infection and create safer communities for all.

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/blog/time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs

Steelrain

Oh, so when they legalise you will stop hating potheads who currently are shitting up your air and are also making you sick?

protip: it's not the potheads making you sick, it's the alcohol.

You seem upset. Also, a bit sensitive.

Maybe you should go take a walk, come back, and read that post again.

Then ask yourself: Is he serious?

Protip: I'm not: :) I thought the death penalty thing would have given it away but.....

DarkFlow

Banned
Counterpoint:

Prosecution should not depend on the personal preferences of the jury at hand.
A person found guilty of one crime while another found not guilty because the jury thought they'll just let it slide? No thanks.

You have a law you find unfair, you take it through the proper venue which is legislatures.
That means putting in power those law makers who you agree will make fair laws. And that means voting responsibly.

Can't get your legislature to pass fair laws? Then don't live there. You know what the laws are there so don't be surprised when you get arrested and your only chance of salvation is the personal preferences of the jury.

Like lawmakers give a shit what we think. When was the last time congress listened to what the people wanted? Once they get elected they pretty much ignore us. So this is something we have control of at least.

JGS

Banned
Why would I vote not guilty for pot cases?

Seems like it would be a pretty big deal if a jury is selected.

pj

Banned
Next time I'm on a jury where a guy is being charged with distributing large amounts of cocaine to people in my community I'm going to take a stand and vote NOT GUILTY regardless of the evidence against him. Basically just to give the finger to The Man. It's what the founding fathers would have wanted me to do.

You act like the coke dealer is victimizing the poor innocent people of your town. Dealers are just vending machines, they stand somewhere and people who want drugs find them. Drug dealers only exist because people want to do drugs.

I would definitely vote not guilty for any non-violent drug crime. Except maybe selling to kids..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You act like the coke dealer is victimizing the poor innocent people of your town. Dealers are just vending machines, they stand somewhere and people who want drugs find them. Drug dealers only exist because people want to do drugs.

I would definitely vote not guilty for any non-violent drug crime. Except maybe selling to kids..
Except for the part where dealers want to make money, so they convince people to try their substances in hopes that they will develop an addiction and form a steady cash flow.

Jury nullification has been around for centuries. It allows juries to find a guy not guilty if it's a bad law. The downside is that the same principle can be used if it's a good law that they disagree with (juries finding people who commit crimes against minorities not-guilty because they are racist0.

For the record I am also against cocaine dispensing vending machines in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom