• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury rules cheats infringe upon copyrights (finds in favour of Bungie - to be paid $63, 210 in damages)

ReBurn

Gold Member
With a court case on record other companies now have precedent to go after all cheat makers.

In before people try to justify being a dickless cheater in a competitive online FPS as usually happens in the Cronos threads.
"What about disabled gamers?" is the question a lot of folks like to hide behind. That's what I was hit with the last time I waded into a thread about cheating with devices.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
With a court case on record other companies now have precedent to go after all cheat makers.

In before people try to justify being a dickless cheater in a competitive online FPS as usually happens in the Cronos threads.
I use cheats in single player games. I don't trust developers not to be fucking morons and go after cheat happens.

Remember that SE encrypted FF13 save files :messenger_tears_of_joy:

willothedog

'all' cheat makers? Only if they are based in the States.

Last edited:
It's good that they're going after multiplayer cheat makers, but I'm afraid how rulings like these might set an ugly precedent with respect to mods.
If they go after single player games I'll start to worry. but things like Online multiplayer where fairness is kind of needed. Yea throw the books at modders who cheat.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
It's good that they're going after multiplayer cheat makers, but I'm afraid how rulings like these might set an ugly precedent with respect to mods.
Hell just downloading a save game file from Nexus would probably be technically illegal. Those TOS are brutal.

I don't mind people cheating and modding their games for their enjoyment. But please keep that out of the online space as that ruins the fun for those of us that don't cheat.

Last edited:

Miles708

This is ridiculous.
They're online games, you don't need the *fucking law* to go after people that cheat on a stupid mindless online game, unless they make money off it.

This world is a parody or am I on crazy pills

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is ridiculous.
They're online games, you don't need the *fucking law* to go after people that cheat on a stupid mindless online game, unless they make money off it.

The $60k is the money they made off it.

LordCBH

This is ridiculous.

They did make money off of it. They sell those cheats.

poppabk

But most cheat makers don't actually play games.
Either way, unless this is somehow linked to intent, mods are dead in US.
Paid mods.
200w.gif

Last edited:

Sophist

Only in your browser. And then people would switch to another browser.

Alphabet (Google), like Bungee, could also say that ad blockers are modifying the copyrighted code of Youtube, either the html or javascript part, which is a copyright violation.

poppabk

Alphabet (Google), like Bungee, could also say that ad blockers are modifying the copyrighted code of Youtube, either the html or javascript part, which is a copyright violation.
If someone makes a youtube app based off of Google's code and sells it, yes. Think Google have already shut-down apps like this before. But an ad blocker for a browser they don't own the code to - it wouldn't work.

Top Bottom