• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
justcause3sysreqsqxpdq.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Benchmarks (NV), settings comparisons, and recommended settings (NV): See Nvidia's tweak guide.
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Mitigate stuttering: Play the game while Steam is running in Offline Mode. (Credit to Ilive1up.)
Actually enable anisotropic filtering: Force it via your GPU driver control panel. (Credit to EatChildren.)
Enable RTSS' overlay: Follow the instructions here. (Credit to ClaptoVaughn.)
Run the game in a borderless window: While viewing your Steam library, right-click on Just Cause 3 -> Properties -> Set launch options... -> input /windowed /borderless -> OK. (Credit to Cannon Goose.)
Skip the intro: Download Rick's No Intro mod from JustCause3mods.com (Credit to electroflame.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
Fullscreen: Yes/No
Vertical sync: Yes/No
Anisotropic level: 2x; 4x; 6x; 8x; 10x; 12x; 16x
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA; SMAA T2x
Gamma: Self-explanatory
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Water detail: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Water tessellation: On/Off
LOD factor: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
SSAO: On/Off
Motion blur: On/Off

Edge fade: On/Off
Global illumination: On/Off
Screen-space reflections: On/Off
Bokeh depth of field: On/Off

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The SMAA_T2X implementation looked horrendously blurry to me.

Vuze

Didn't realize it was out already, expected 9am because of the Steam timer. But a look at the Steam client explained why my HDD is so noisy right now, decrypting the preload lol
Hope it's a fine PC version.

Seronei

Game doesn't seem to work well on my AMD 6950 and i5 2500k at all. Played maybe 10 mins and I get sub 30 framerate and weird stutters down to 1 fps sometimes, and it has already crashed once.

In fact the performance is really weird, I get solid 30-60 fps for the most part at Low and 1280x800 but then it just shits itself sometimes and freezes for like a second and I just had a display driver crash just now. Something's not right, guessing the problems are driver related and I already have the latest catalyst beta for it and afaik the crimson drivers doesn't support 6950?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
54 gb of space? Is that a lot?

Uncompressed audio / multiple language tracks?

The latter is definitely a factor. On Steam, the recommended implementation of multilingual support is splitting the languages into their own separate depots as in doing so the language a user downloads by default is dictated by the language the Steam client is set to, with the rest being optional downloads -- but JC3 has all its languages rolled into the main content depot, which inflates the size for everyone.

alright :D steam is decrypting or uncompressing the files

alright i will try to max this game out and see the performance

since i have gsync, i have to turn off vsync in-game right? :D

got it

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Should add "overclock your CPU!" to the thread title. It makes a massive difference later in the game when the destruction gets turned up to 11.

BTW, the performance guide is awesome ANdy. Great to see the PC version getting that extra attention to detail and extra graphical effects

Ta. Looking forward to a nice break now that JC3 and R6S are out.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Game runs well maxed out on a 980. 60+ fps pretty much at all times but it's late so will check more tomorrow.

epmode

Performance is excellent. I got a little worried with the talk of the shaky console versions but the intro mission was perfect.

i5-4690K and 290X

never a good sign when half of the textures won't load correctly or disappear while in view...I'd say the performance was god awful but that would be a compliment (that's with lowering and outright turning off "demanding" settings)

Zafir

The AA options seem utterly rubbish. All of them have really horrible jaggies. Running it at 4k solves the issue, but performance is rubbish. xD

Getting anything from 40 to 60fps at 1440p on my 970 and 3570k @ 4.2Ghz, with everything maxed apart from AA on FXAA and LoD Factor on High. Probably mess more tomorrow trying to get better performance/options.

The AA options seem utterly rubbish. All of them have really horrible jaggies. Running it at 4k solves the issue, but performance is rubbish. xD

Getting anything from 40 to 60fps at 1440p on my 970 and 3570k @ 4.2Ghz, with everything maxed apart from AA on FXAA and LoD Factor on High. Probably mess more tomorrow trying to get better performance/options.

I have a 970 and 2500k at 4.3Ghz, also 1440p. I'm guessing solid 60fps would be doable if turning the settings down some?

Can't wait to play this later today!!!! My specs:

MSI GTX 970 (overclocked)
i5 4590
16GB RAM

I'm thinking I should be able to max most settings out for a stable 60fps @ 1080p going buy the Nvidia guide, with LOD, Screen Space Reflections, Global Illumination, (and maybe water?) dialled back just a tad.

Profanity

Performance seems fine, but what is most striking initially is that there is no vibration on my Xbox One controller unless I disconnect and reconnect the micro cable. The vibration seems to last until a mission cutscene, then you have to repeat the process. Fairly annoying.

Game ran incredibly smooth but there's an issue with Crossfire, textures aren't loading correctly. Going to try some different profiles.

It's a lot, but more and more common.

I think LoU remastered was around 50GB, and Wolfenstein TNO was, like, 44GB.

I remember there being a big deal about Titanfall (?) being a 50+ gig mandatory download on PC because of all its language packs. Damn, those are some big sizes.

i7 5820k oc 4ghz
gtx 980
16gb ram

Played about 30 mins before bed, loading seems fine loading from failing a mission is like 5-7 seconds.

Playing at 1440p its generally between 50-60 fps with everything max + smaa, Vsync however is doubled buffered and drops to 30fps if you even drop 1 frame from 60 :(

Game looks fantastic though some amazing draw distance.

Zafir

I have a 970 and 2500k at 4.3Ghz, also 1440p. I'm guessing solid 60fps would be doable if turning the settings down some?

I think so yeah. I mean I turned down Shadows from Very High to High and it gave me more of a frame rate in the 50-60 area rather than 40-60.

Justinh

Man, it's... heartbreaking to see the 2500K as a minimum. (Although I can run The New Order just fine...)

Hopefully I can do well enough with the 4.5 GHz overclock I have on it and 2 GTX 970s.

Edit: oh I'm misremembering. I thought that the minimum for TNO was an i7 and it was causing people to lose their shit at the time, I guess it was recommended.

bigkrev

i5-4670 and GTX 770 2g

With the recommended settings that Geforce Experience game me

The game was unplayable slideshow. I could not aim in the opening sequence because any camera movement dropped the framerate into low single digits.

I lowered some settings (Dropped the anti-ailising, shadows, water detail, textures) even tried dropping it to 720p, but the slideshow resumed as soon as I got in the helicopter in the opening mission,

Hope someone else with a 770 has better luck because I'm tired of fiddling around!

Ilive1up

gtx 770. i5 4670k 3.4 GHz and 8gb ram.

game can't hold up on 1080p. dropped it to 900 and windowed mode and still runs like poo. argh. i know my card is "oldish" but it's struggling to even run at 30.

Zafir

i7 5820k oc 4ghz
gtx 980
16gb ram

Played about 30 mins before bed, loading seems fine loading from failing a mission is like 5-7 seconds.

Playing at 1440p its generally between 50-60 fps with everything max + smaa, Vsync however is doubled buffered and drops to 30fps if you even drop 1 frame from 60 :(

Game looks fantastic though some amazing draw distance.

Hmm? I'm not getting that issue with Vsync.

whyman

Well up until this point every game I have thrown at my PC was at least playable. This is so unoptimized that is embarrassing.

gtx 770. i5 4670k 3.4 GHz and 8gb ram.

game can't hold up on 1080p. dropped it to 900 and windowed mode and still runs like poo. argh. i know my card is "oldish" but it's struggling to even run at 30.

Weird, a GTX 950 can get 40+ fps mostly maxed from a few vids I've seen. A 770 is a bit more powerful than that.

i5-4670 and GTX 770 2g

With the recommended settings that Geforce Experience game me

The game was unplayable slideshow. I could not aim in the opening sequence because any camera movement dropped the framerate into low single digits.

I lowered some settings (Dropped the anti-ailising, shadows, water detail, textures) even tried dropping it to 720p, but the slideshow resumed as soon as I got in the helicopter in the opening mission,

Hope someone else with a 770 has better luck because I'm tired of fiddling around!

This lines up with another reviewer's experience of the PC version.

On my rig (i7 4790, GTX 970), 1080p with everything on, it runs around 56-61. Dips during explosions.

Top Bottom