• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Dark Souls 3 showed me how special Bloodborne was

Alphagear

Just finished Dark Souls 3. Second Soulborne game I have finished after Bloodborne.

Honestly a very good game but pales in comparison to Bloodborne.

Bloodborne was superior in every way especially the setting itself. The Gothic Lovecraftian world was something else.

Pity Japan Studio are gone cause I don't believe FROM can emulate that world again. Let's wait and see how good Elden Ring is. Gave up on Sekiro cause it was a ballache but these games are addictive.

Last edited:

Alphagear

I’m confused by this comment, FROM is the one who designed world in Bloodborne.

Japan Studio played a huge part from what I believe.

Is their any other FROM game which has the same level design?

My biggest issue with Dark Souls 3 was the amount of Castles/Cathedrals and knights I had to deal with especially towards the second half of the game.

Buggy Loop

I’m confused by this comment, FROM is the one who designed world in Bloodborne.

family reunion no GIF

You don’t understand the magic of Sony

/s

Last edited:

Arthimura

If you have the option, I really recommend playing Demon's Souls.

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are my favorite From Software games.
Dark Souls trilogy is a level below imo, and Sekiro is great but it's something apart.

I already loved Demon's Souls from playing it on my PS3 years ago, and after playing the remake I can say it's as good as I remembered, if not better.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

My biggest issue with Dark Souls 3 was the amount of Castles/Cathedrals and knights I had to deal with especially towards the second half of the game.
I'm not sure what part Studio Japan played but pretty sure FROM is the one who design the world, combat and the lore.

I think just comes down to you liked Victorian gothic setting more than Dark Souls medieval setting.

Last edited:

Alphagear

If you have the option, I really recommend playing Demon's Souls.

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are my favorite From Software games.
Dark Souls trilogy is a level below imo, and Sekiro is great but it's something apart.

I already loved Demon's Souls from playing it in my PS3 years ago, and after playing the remake I can say it's as good as I remembered, if not better.

Yeah was looking to give Demons Souls a try but with Elden Ring so close to release thought otherwise. Let's see.

Buggy Loop

I'm not sure what part Studio Japan played but pretty sure FROM is the one who design the world combat and the lore.

I think just comes dow to you liked Victorian gothic setting more than Dark Souls medieval setting.

From the end credit, Sony staff is credited for technical, online, tuning and QA support. Basically same credit as Demon’s soul.

So the creative and artistic side of things are From’s. As expected.

So they paid the bills and offered support. They probably had the idea for a new collaboration with Miyazaki and things started from there just like what happened with Demon souls.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Good god. This is like saying GRRM is a "huge part" of Elden Ring (gameplay wise). Helping shape the idea of a game and actually developing that game are two entirely different things.

I honestly need someone, a video from a content creator to watch, to learn to appreciate these souls games, because besides some badass looking combat, I'm just not getting the appeal. Only Sekiro has made me interested because there seems to be a real story there. The other souls games appear to have story more like in MMO terms, not really giving you a true character story? Do I have that right?

What can I watch to get excited about these games, because I'm just not feeling this Elden Ring hype, and it's being treated like the craziest release of all time or something lol.

Graciaus

There is nothing in Bloodborne which would lead me to believe From couldn't have done it on their own. Sony paid them to make a game and helped make sure it got done.

I prefer Dark Souls 3. As much as I love Bloodborne, it is very difficult to return to after playing DS3/Sekiro on PC because of how terribly it runs.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I honestly need someone, a video from a content creator to watch, to learn to appreciate these souls games, because besides some badass looking combat, I'm just not getting the appeal. Only Sekiro has made me interested because there seems to be a real story there. The other souls games appear to have story more like in MMO terms, not really giving you a true character story? Do I have that right?

What can I watch to get excited about these games, because I'm just not feeling this Elden Ring hype, and it's being treated like the craziest release of all time or something lol.

Plantoid

Dark souls build variety shines over the excellent setting in Bloodborne imo, but the two are peak fromsoftware

DonF

that framerate tho..
At least on ps5 runs great, they unlocked the frame rate and runs @ smooth 60.
On ps4 pro it ran fairly decent, like high 40s, mostly 50s.

Edit: I'm dumb, yeah, Bloodborne is stuck on 30 fps. I can bare it though.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

FromSoftware games are over-hyped and the fanboys are the worst fanboys in gaming, Elden Ring is also likely overhyped.

That said, you can't explain these games, you gotta try them. You will hate it for an hour or 2, but once it clicks, you will understand why people like them. They cut out a lot of the bullshit from modern game design, they don't hold your hand, they demand you put in the effort and become better, which may sound frustrating, but becomes incredibly rewarding and almost liberating because most modern games never do that anymore. I know it doesn't sound fun if you haven't tried it before, it's really something you gotta play yourself.

Most games these days pat you on the head and give you a cushion and slowly explain to you how life is hard and you need a therapist and that you need to read affirmations and drink a cup of tea while you cry about your demanding job. FromSoftware games tell you that you are a man (or women) who needs to become better and adapt, learn how to depend on yourself, and it expects you to do it or die trying.

Sometimes, that sort of nonsensical approach is freeing, espcially when you have been fed dumbed-down games for decades and been treated like a child.

Juza

Do you guys still believe this marketing bullshit ?

Then why they shutdown the studio if it had talented designers that can create worlds like Bloodborne? Why did they need Fromsoftware if they can make the game? why some of them left sony to join Fromsoftware ?

Sony's only contribution is that yosp had told Miyazaki that he wanted a game "any game" by him, and literally said" we are prepared to die" to indicated that he wanted a Souls-Like game lol

Suggest that you check out the credits again.

Last edited:

decisions

Yeah DSIII is Souls on autopilot. You can apply the same strategy to nearly all bosses and the game just does not have the greatest pacing. Still a very good game, but nothing compared to Miyazaki's best works.

K2D

Banned
Good god. This is like saying GRRM is a "huge part" of Elden Ring (gameplay wise). Helping shape the idea of a game and actually developing that game are two entirely different things.
GRRM is only one man though. But even so, he might have more influense indirectly on ER than any other person on the development (except for Miyazaki and other key devs of course).

Ogbert

Really?

I thought DS3 was miles better.

I’m not buying all the BB worship. Dodgy frame pacing at an uneven 30fps.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Just finished Dark Souls 3. Second Soulborne game I have finished after Bloodborne.

Honestly a very good game but pales in comparison to Bloodborne.

Bloodborne was superior in every way especially the setting itself. The Gothic Lovecraftian world was something else.

Pity Japan Studio are gone cause I don't believe FROM can emulate that world again. Let's wait and see how good Elden Ring is. Gave up on Sekiro cause it was a ballache but these games are addictive.
Bloodborne is amazing, but DS3 had much better performance on every platform and better pvp/co-op. I also liked how more builds felt viable in DS3.

This doesn't detract at all from Bloodborne. I've played it the most, but love dark souls 3 as well.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I like BB and DS3 as equal but yeah the story and lore in bloodborne are better

Waiting for Bloodborne 2 by Bluepoint Studios

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So far, the only souls game that managed to get me into it was Sekiro.

I started but never felt like continuing either Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

I love Bloodborne more than any other From Software game but Darks Souls 3 really doesn't pale in comparison. It has its own strengths that make it shine. Especially in terms of build variety and overall complexity.
I love Dark Souls 3. It's a near perfect end to the series. I know people had their complaints about fan service, but if you really dig into the lore it all makes sense. The two expansions are necessary to how it wraps up the story.

I remember while I was playing it the first time, my big complaint was how the poise system works. Doesn't really bother me now. The game is a reliant on the roll mechanic though.

I agree though that BB is better but that's just because its truly a masterpiece. Doesn't take away from ds3. I can't believe that in 2 weeks Eldin Ring comes out.

As a Souls lover I really hope I get the chance to try it one day at 60fps. I bought it to play on my daughters PS4 but the 25fps just made it a non starter. Love the look and idea of it though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My old knock on Bloodborne were the chalice dungeons. Dark Souls 3 is actually my 2nd favorite of the Souls games after Demons Souls. It goes DeS,DS3, DS1 and DS2 doesn't deserve to be in the same breath as the other games. I know it has it's fans, but the game wasn't that good for me.

FromSoftware games are over-hyped and the fanboys are the worst fanboys in gaming, Elden Ring is also likely overhyped.

That said, you can't explain these games, you gotta try them. You will hate it for an hour or 2, but once it clicks, you will understand why people like them. They cut out a lot of the bullshit from modern game design, they don't hold your hand, they demand you put in the effort and become better, which may sound frustrating, but becomes incredibly rewarding and almost liberating because most modern games never do that anymore. I know it doesn't sound fun if you haven't tried it before, it's really something you gotta play yourself.

Most games these days pat you on the head and give you a cushion and slowly explain to you how life is hard and you need a therapist and that you need to read affirmations and drink a cup of tea while you cry about your demanding job. FromSoftware games tell you that you are a man (or women) who needs to become better and adapt, learn how to depend on yourself, and it expects you to do it or die trying.

Sometimes, that sort of nonsensical approach is freeing, espcially when you have been fed dumbed-down games for decades and been treated like a child.
What exactly is so overhyped about them? Tell us why they're not great games.

Guilty_AI

What exactly is so overhyped about them? Tell us why they're not great games.
I have to agree with him they're overhyped, that doesn't mean they're not great games though.

I feel a lot of whats 'great' about them mostly comes from not having the pacing issues or nonsense people are used to in modern AAA gaming, be it intrusive storytelling that isn't even that good, all the handholding, loads of pointless content just to pad the game or balancing done by monkeys.
I have to question if i really should put a game on a pedestal for doing and not doing the things other mainstream games should and shouldn't do in the first place.

Theres also the 'mood' of these games lots of people seem to enjoy, but if you're not into those gloomy, grim dark settings, the chances you'll enjoy souls game will significantly decrease.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Theres also the 'mood' of these games lots of people seem to enjoy, but if you're not into those gloomy, grim dark settings, the chances you'll enjoy souls game will significantly decrease.
That can be said with ANY game, currently lot of people hyping the the crap of Horizon 2 but I personally didn't enjoy the first game so does that mean people overhyping Horizon 2?

Most of us are hyping FROM game because we simply enjoyed their games so to me and most people its not overhype.

Last edited:
I have to agree with him they're overhyped, that doesn't mean they're not great games though.

I feel a lot of whats 'great' about them mostly comes from not having the pacing issues or nonsense people are used to in modern AAA gaming, be it intrusive storytelling that isn't even that good, all the handholding, loads of pointless content just to pad the game or balancing done by monkeys.
I have to question if i really should put a game on a pedestal for doing and not doing the things other mainstream games should and shouldn't do in the first place.

Plz point me to better modern games in the same genre.

Okay, so it's really about as simple as that then. Just a punishing set of challenges with rewarding combat if learned/mastered, and then you're just taking in the world around you as it exists. They likely aren't telling you any kind of specific beginning, middle and end story based on any one character or set of characters, be it heroes or enemies?

I think I'm starting to understand the pocket that these games fit into. Not so much games you regret playing for story and character reasons, but ones, once you learn to appreciate them, that you'd regret not playing purely for the challenge, interesting enemies, bosses and the world they put you in?

SLB1904

Banned
yeah, the victorian era was such a great theme. but again i really like victorian era stuff, too much swag. the order 1886 is the other game that comes to mind

Top Bottom