• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just finished Dark Souls 3 showed me how special Bloodborne was

Guilty_AI

That can be said with ANY game, currently lot of people hyping the the crap of Horizon 2 but I personally didn't enjoy the first game so does that mean people overhyping Horizon 2?

Most of us are hyping FROM game because we simply enjoyed their games so to me and most people its not overhype.
I mean, i don't disagree. I do feel horizon is an overrated/overhyped game.

And i call overhype simply because Souls games hype - unlike say, the hype for VA-11 Hall-a's upcoming sequel N1rv Ann-a - is one that has throughly encroached mainstream audiences, so you frequently see people treating their games as the be-all end-all of gaming.

I'm not saying its wrong to feel that way, but having mass of people praising one or other game will always give the people watching from the sidelines, especially when its a mass of people saying something like "X game is the best game evah!!1!" like i often see with GOW, the wrong impression about the game. It will naturally cause a lot of disappointment.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Plz point me to better modern games in the same genre.
I don't have to when your own wording kinda proved my point.

Plz point me to better modern games in the same genre.
Aren't you implying that old games did something right that has been lost in most modern games? Something Souls games get right?
Doesn't that show a case where its more a matter of modern AAA sucking too much rather than souls games truly being ultra-mega-great?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not saying its wrong to feel that way, but having mass of people praising one or other game will always give the people watching from the sidelines, especially when its a mass of people saying something like "X game is the best game evah!!1!" like i often see with GOW, the wrong impression about the game. Some will naturally feel disappointed with it.
No matter what game you should never EVER hype a game based on other people hyping even the game turns out good you might end up getting disappointed. I’m hyping Elden Ring because I liked what I saw so far, same with games like Ghostwire and Triangle Strategy.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What exactly is so overhyped about them? Tell us why they're not great games.
They are great games, I did not say they were not, fantastic even. But there is plenty of tedious backtracking, or environments that look too similar (dark souls especially), repetitive combat design, and sometimes the difficulty doesn't work as well, as in there are plenty of sections in all of their games that aren't that fun to play, sometimes because some of the enemies suck and are annoying, or because the level design features cliffs you fall off when you try to fight or sections where it takes you too long to figure out you are supposed to go somewhere else. And sometimes you can't find that path at all and have to either go over the area with a toothcomb to find some obscure path or search online.

Guilty_AI

No matter what game you should never EVER hype a game based on other people hyping even the game turns out good you might end up getting disappointed. I’m hyping Elden Ring because I liked what I saw so far, same with games Ghostwire and Triangle Strategy.
I know that, and i agree. Its the reason why i'm not crazying up myself over Elden Ring.

However, there are plenty of people who still don't understand that yet, which will breed disappointment.

Last edited:

skit_data

Dark Souls 3 is the weakest in the trilogy in terms of storytelling. At times it feels like they went ”time and space has collapsed in upon itself” and just made it a remix of DS1 and DS2. It’s also very grey and washed out in terms of its visuals, I prefer the more varied aesthetics of Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls 1&2. Bloodborne is also pretty monotone in terms of aesthetics but I feel it has a strong, coherent visual style that it revolves around rather than feeling unimaginative.

Danjin44

I know that, and i agree.

However, there are plenty of people who still don't understand that yet, which will breed disappointment.
If thats the case thats their own problem, When Cyberpunk 2077 was coming, every gaming media was hyping the crap out of the game but it didn't effect me because I know my own taste and I know I dont enjoy CPR games.

If people played games long enough they should know what they enjoy and dont enjoy no matter how many people hyping.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

If thats the case thats their own problem, When Cyberpunk 2077 was coming, every gaming media was hyping the crap out of the game but it didn't effect me because I know my own taste and I know I dont enjoy CPR games.

If people played games long enough they should know what they enjoy and dont enjoy no matter how many people hyping.
But now we come full circle and it goes back to my point of Souls games being overhyped.

Danjin44

But now we come full circle and it goes back to my point of Souls games being overhyped.
"overhype" for people who only get hype for a game based other people, thats basically true with most well known games.

yurinka

Pity Japan Studio are gone
Japan Studio isn't gone, it simply split their internal development team and XDEV Japanese team into two separate offices.

The XDEV Japanese team, the one in charge of 2nd party publishing, so who did work with From for Bloodborne, is still there and published Death Stranding Director's Cut after they split from Japan Studio and started to report to XDEV like all the other XDEV teams instead of to a local gamedev studio. They are now growing.

Their internal development part was downsided and focused on one of the Japan Studio internal teams: Team Asobi, whose management replaced the previous studio management. They are now growing with open job positions in a dozen areas.

Last edited:
They're both great and they offer something different. Bloodborne has an amazing world, atmosphere and a more fast-paced version of souls style combat. Dark Souls 3 has a "greatest hits of dark souls" vibe, bringing together a huge range of the most beloved things in the series with callbacks and iterations, and has heightened replayability and multiplayer value because of the the greater range of options in playstyle and build variety.

I prefer DS3 myself, but Bloodborne is amazing and you can't go wrong with either game as they are both special. All these games are special except DS2.

Alphagear

Japan Studio isn't gone, it simply split their internal development team and XDEV Japanese team into two separate offices.

The XDEV Japanese team, the one in charge of 2nd party publishing, so who did work with From for Bloodborne, is still there and published Death Stranding Director's Cut after they split from Japan Studio and started to report to XDEV like all the other XDEV teams instead of to a local gamedev studio. They are now growing.

Their internal development part was downsided and focused on one of the Japan Studio internal teams: Team Asobi, whose management replaced the previous studio management. They are now growing with open job positions in a dozen areas.

We all know Team Asobi is fully focused on Astrobot.

No way they are gonna help in another Bloodborne game.

Japan Studio is gone.

kyoji

Just finished Dark Souls 3. Second Soulborne game I have finished after Bloodborne.

Honestly a very good game but pales in comparison to Bloodborne.

Bloodborne was superior in every way especially the setting itself. The Gothic Lovecraftian world was something else.

Pity Japan Studio are gone cause I don't believe FROM can emulate that world again. Let's wait and see how good Elden Ring is. Gave up on Sekiro cause it was a ballache but these games are addictive.
Do you plan to play Demons souls remake?

Banned
I honestly need someone, a video from a content creator to watch, to learn to appreciate these souls games, because besides some badass looking combat, I'm just not getting the appeal. Only Sekiro has made me interested because there seems to be a real story there. The other souls games appear to have story more like in MMO terms, not really giving you a true character story? Do I have that right?

What can I watch to get excited about these games, because I'm just not feeling this Elden Ring hype, and it's being treated like the craziest release of all time or something lol.

"IT'S NOT A MOVIE! I WANT A MOVIE!"

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s been said that “Brotherhood of the Wolf” and Lovecraft were big inspirations for Bloodborne. Which came from From Software.

They’re apples and oranges if you ask me. The final battle in the base game of Dark Souls 3 was excellent and it’s hard to compare most of the boss battles for both games. Dark Souls 3 wasn’t necessarily about a dream or a hunt. The Deacons of the Deep can’t be compared to the Healing Church.

The lore of both games are super interesting. Dark Souls 3 focuses more around the kingdom. I did put more time into understanding Bloodborne’s lore because of how insight is a very important aspect in the game. Dark Souls 3 was a journey and you discovered what was around each corner.

NinjaBoiX

Come on man, nobody is suggesting they all got murdered, but the team no longer exists as it once did.

If a band splits to form new bands, would you argue that the original band still exists?

Tschumi

What the fuck is a ballanche and when does hunting season open on words used to derogate The Sekiro

yurinka

Come on man, nobody is suggesting they all got murdered, but the team no longer exists as it once did.

If a band splits to form new bands, would you argue that the original band still exists?
It isn't the case. They weren't shut down. They still exist and continue doing the same job.

Both developing internal games (with a rebranding of the studio to reflect the restructuring changes and to relaunch the studio) and publishing 2nd party Japanese games, but this other part now as also happened with all the other PS Studios 2nd party publishing teams from other countries moved from reporting to local gamedev teams to the global XDEV team. After the restructuring both teams started to hire to grow again and continued doing the same they were doing until then.

They restructured the studio firing some guys and replacing them with others, specially their management, and using the same new 2nd party publishing workflow that their other regions also started to use. After several decades of unsuccessful games, not being able to develop a single hit and having several big failures and money pits, they finally did some actions to address it. And after that, they continued publishing Japanese 2nd party games like Death Stranding Director's Cut and developing internal games.

Jimmy_liv

I'm the same. Finished DS3 last week following my completion of Demon Souls.
I played most of BB but I just prefer the sword and shield style combat.

But Demon Souls remake topped them all for me. Maybe I'm just a gfx whore but the story/lore and world was fantastic.

Top Bottom