• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found out I was scammed in a domain name scam, thanks to another scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I get in the mail a letter from Liberty Names of America telling me that my domain name is about to expire and that I should renew with them as soon as possible with what looks like a bill even though in the fine print it says this is not a bill. Not recognizing the company, I decided to look it up Turns out Liberty Names of America does this scam to try and get money out of people from looking up their public info on domain names and try to come off as the company that they registered the domain with.

The catch is, this domain was some weird bank name that clearly wasn't mine. Even worse, when I did a whois on it, it had my name and my address. Unfortunately the first thing I googled had someone else in the exact same situation so I thought Liberty Names was registering sites in people's names and then trying to get money out of them. The further I dug into it was when I realized the only go after people to pretend to renew legit domains.

It turns out someone else had created a fraud site in my name and address and I was only made aware of it from another scam. So I've already gone to Internic to report it as a fraud domain name but now I'm starting to wonder if that is the only domain registered to me.

Does anyone know how to look up domains registered to a specific name or address? So far all I can find is looking up details based on the domain name itself. I wanted to check out if anyone else has registered sites to me, my wife, or my family but haven't found a way yet. Does anyone know? Thanks.

MoeB

Hi,

I was in a similar situation once. I now, always purchase whois "guard" to protect myself from people stealing my information online. Obviously if someone really wants your information they will somehow manage to get it. This step is just to make their work harder.

MoeB said:
Hi,

I was in a similar situation once. I now, always purchase whois "guard" to protect myself from people stealing my information online. Obviously if someone really wants your information they will somehow manage to get it. This step is just to make their work harder.

Ya, but unfortunately the one scam got my info from another scam so heh nothing I could do about that. In fact the one scam actually helped me =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom