• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an email for a purchase I didn't make (Best Buy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have contacted them. Should hear back soon. No charge on my bank account yet.

This morning I received an email titled, "Your Best Buy Receipt" which was weird, because I didn't buy anything from there within 24 hours. I have been waiting on a price adjustment of a computer I bought and have two case numbers (my adjustment never got submitted, long story), so I thought this was maybe my adjustment.

I opened the email and it says, "thank you *different name* for your purchase!"

It's in another state and everything. But what's suspicious about the email is it's using a different debit card number and it's a MasterCard (I have a Visa)....so...

Why did I get this emaill?! It's weirding me out. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Should I be worrying? I am awaiting a response, but so far no charge, different card number, different type of debit card, different state but the confirmation email was sent to me.

Alucrid

Banned
maybe someone gave the wrong telephone number for the rewards card? i forget if you can do an email receipt instead of paper

Is there any link or phone number listed in the email to confirm/dispute the purchase? What is the address of the sender? Does the sender match a genuine Best Buy confirmation email?

My immediate thought is that it's a phishing email, but we'll need more details about the email itself to make any sort of comment on this.

EDIT: And if you need to do so, contact Best Buy through their website as mentioned, not through the email you received.

NeOak

You sure it is from Best Buy?

Sometimes they are fake emails in order to make you click on the link and get your information by phishing.

When you make a purchase at Best Buy they usually ask you for your phone number so you can get your rewards. It's possible the customer either just gave out a random phone number and it was yours or the cashier accidentally typed in your number by mistake. Sometimes friends use their friends phone numbers when they don't have a rewards account as well.

Regardless, it's nothing to worry about. Just a bit odd.

Iorv3th

Just ignore it? It's not your information or card. Someone either gave them the wrong e-mail address or they are trying to scam you and get you to click a link in the e-mail.

Just ignore it? It's not your information or card. Someone either gave them the wrong e-mail address or they are trying to scam you and get you to click a link in the e-mail.

Sorry, it just worried me and I have never gotten something weird like this.

Still waiting on a response from Best Buy.

That's a legit email address. GAF can't really help you here, not sure what this topic can really do to help you. You need to talk to BB.

Thank you very much for checking. I was just curious if anyone else had this happen. I guess someone put in my member ID or something. Still waiting on Best Buy to respond, but I guess it's nothing serious.

Silraru

You should contact Best Buy customer support and get the contact info off of Best Buy site instead of in the email just to be safe. This could be various scam. It could be someone using stolen card and trying to ship it to you and snag it before you actually receive it. It could be someone trying to verify your information or something similar. Also take precautions providing personal information over the conversation. Let Best Buy representative verify the information with you instead.

I had something similar happen where my husbands credit card got charged by Staples for Xbox live membership card and Dell for something else. The payments didn't go through but one item had my work address. I got email from Staples about it and ended up cancelling order. I did not provide them with correct credit card information whatsoever so the order will not have proper information even after being cancelled. My guess was someone got the information through online store but it was incomplete so one order was made with correct contact information in hopes that I would correct it and the person could then go on to use it and purchase other items. I was pretty sure the card number was correct but the expiry date may have been missing and sites do show expiry dates. Very sneaky.

Edit: didn't read the different state part. Is the address different? If so, it might just be a mistake of email and not something sinister.

CyReN

This happened to me like 2-3 years ago with Best Buy, a random order with a different credit card ordered something on my account. Different state too.

Not sure what happened, but I cancelled it and changed my password and nothing happened since then. I don't think my account was taken over, it was like someone order just merged onto my account. It was really weird.

I get stuff all the time from people that sign up for stuff using my gmail account because it is just firstnamelastname at gmail and I have a fairly common name and people are dumb. If you use a common email provider someone maybe just put in the wrong email address when making the order.

Why don't you reset the password and log into best buy account and find out what was the order. Also, setup 2 factor login on your email.

Accident

I get emails like that all the time. Store receipts, phone bills, bank statements.. It's just stupid people that don't know how to type their email addresses.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mistyped email address is really common. I've gotten other people's email for everything from Verizon statements to tax information.

Zoe

Someone put in the wrong email address at checkout. My coworker has been getting misdirected Toys R Us receipts for years.

hollomat

Banned
I was on the opposite end of this with the FFXV season pass. I bought the game + season pass. For some reason the season pass showed as being delivered to a random email, one I'd never seen before, never typed and not even close to any of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom