• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got home from a Linkin Park show...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterthumpa

And man, these guys still rock. Chester's voice sounds as good as ever, Mike Shinoda works as the back vocal for many songs and he's damn good at that too. Was also impressed since this is sort of a music festival instead of a single show, and a lot of people knew all the songs they played from their latest "The Hunting Party" album, which by the way is pretty great.

And oh, Shinoda sang some cool Fort Minor shit. Loved it, GAF's hate be damned.

FZZ

Banned
I like Linkin Park so that's good to hear. I even liked Collision Course, which a lot of people on GAF seem to hate.

Have any of their new albums achieved the same sound that Hybrid Theory and Meteora did? Or even better like Reanimation?

Peterthumpa

Have any of their new albums achieved the same sound that Hybrid Theory and Meteora did? Or even better like Reanimation?
Not really, but early 2000s Linkin Park is dead and buried. They're a mature band for a while now and they've been always experimenting.

However, you should listen to their latest album. It's nothing like the first two, but it seems like they're back on the right track with it.

Sch1sm

Not really, but early 2000s Linkin Park is dead and buried. They're a mature band for a while now and they've been always experimenting.

However, you should listen to their latest album. It's nothing like the first two, but it seems like they're back on the right track with it.

2007 is the last of their existence in my music libraries, but I'll trust that suggestion.

i only like their earlier stuff. ive heard a couple new ones but i guess since then ive moved onto more metal/darker music. but i listen to everything.

Aww man, so jealous!!!!! They just don't want to come to Puerto Rico man.

2007 is the last of their existence in my music libraries, but I'll trust that suggestion.

I think he is talking about Living Things, which is not the latest album. But a recent one that brings the sound from the first Album back, in some way.

B.O.O.M

hmm will have to check out the new album now.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The good thing about Linkin Park, is that they almost never sound the same with each album, so you know you are getting a different sound each time. I like the Hunting Party, but prefer Living Things and a Thousand Suns.
Meteroa and Hybrid Theory are too good to be numbered with their other albums

Soodanim

I've always preferred their Hip Hop remix stuff, but I also own Hybrid Theory. They get a lot of hate as a bad with only a teenage fanbase, but they have some good music.

I'm curious about the newer album(s), despite hating what I heard on YouTube the last time I listened to newer stuff from them.

Arthos

Watched them when they came down for the first show of their current tour. They took an hour and a half to get on after 30 Seconds to Mars had finished their set. I didn't think it would have been worth the wait.

I was wrong. They only played a few of their newer stuff, which wasn't bad, but when compared to their old stuff... Man. They definitely put one hell of a show. If you have to watch them then absolutely do so.

j-wood

Saw them on their latest tour for the new CD. It was a fantastic concert. They had a huge set, played a ton of old stuff, and did some live remixes that were unexpected.

Started "Lying from you" then rolled into the Jay-Z Dirt Off Your Shoulder remix (which mike rapped Jay's verse), then rolled into a fort minor song without any breaks. It was amazing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wow, I'm impressed, GAF. We're already this far into the thread and nobody has quoted Crawling yet.

Never loved their music, but I never understood the hate. Yeah, their early music was pretty simple/overly reliant on the DJ but their singer was so fucking good. Plus, their songs were relatively positive/introspective on the whole.

Jealous as fuck. I live in the Midwest, and a lot of the super big bands don't really come out here. Closest LP have gotten is about three hours and it was on a Christing Wednesday. Couldn't make that.

Love all of their albums.

Volotaire

As a teenager (the traditional adage) I used to love it. Now I only partly appreciate A Thousand Suns because I really liked its 'different' approach and sound and perhaps a few Fort Minor songs. But it's perhaps more to do with how I like looking for different sounding Indie albums and my tastes today. Also, I can't really stand listening to the first few albums because of how 'heavy' sounding they are to me. I'm more of a Indie Folk, Indie pop, Indie electronic, 80's revitalisation person.

Peterthumpa

Jealous as fuck. I live in the Midwest, and a lot of the super big bands don't really come out here. Closest LP have gotten is about three hours and it was on a Christing Wednesday. Couldn't make that.

Love all of their albums.
Haha, I know that feel. I live in Belo Horizonte, Brazil's 5th biggest city IIRC, and they usually don't come here either. It was a "once in a lifetime" moment, really.

linkin park is a guilty pleasure of mine, sort of like green day(though lp is a far better band than gd). Its a style of music I don't want to like but can't help but get pumped up by

feel

Man early Linking Park was mind-blowing incredible for teen me. Then.. well. I listened to a recent song called Rebellion and it's pretty great which surprised me, I hope they make a comeback.

they did have some good songs, don't see why so many hated them/gave them hate

i hope those found my chemical romance, fallout boy and all the other garbage bands worse/gave them more hate cause linkin park > all them

Peterthumpa

Don't. Hunting Party is probably one of the worst albums they put out. Take A Thousand Suns or Living Things for a spin, you'll have a better impression of the band.

To OP, yeah they are an incredible band live.
I wouldn't say that it's one of the worst, but actually a different kind of sound. Personally, I'm enjoying it.

And yeah, wasn't expecting them to be so good live. When playing "Numb", I was convinced they were lyp-synching before Chester got the tempo wrong a little bit.

Why don't you want to like it?

LP is good stuff. Easy to digest.

Stigma from when I was a kid. As silly as this sounds, my friends all dogged on linkin park back then. I guess I didn't want to be judged so I repressed liking them or something. So I guess I have this negative construct built up. As a grown ass man, I'm a grown man now and don't hide my opinions anymore but I guess that negative enforcement is still there.

Mario007

I wouldn't say that it's one of the worst, but actually a different kind of sound. Personally, I'm enjoying it.

And yeah, wasn't expecting them to be so good live. When playing "Numb", I was convinced they were lyp-synching before Chester got the tempo wrong a little bit.

I definitely would. Lyrically, they're back to their teen angsty days of HT and Meteora, the songs' structure is basic LP verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus where the bridge is either a super simple guitar "solo" or Chester screaming. It's basically a step backwards. Sure it's got the heavy rock sound but it simply isn't that good.
Well at least we got Rebellion, Final Masquerade and A Line in the Sand out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom